!0kw , 30Kv drive package.

Hillhater

100 TW
Sydney ..(Hilly part !) .. Australia/ Down under !
I am aware that these Yuneec motors have been debated previously, but i dont think much contact/progress was made (Miles ?), and much of that was focussed at the bigger 20+kW motors.
I notice that they also have a "paramotor flight pack" using their 10kW drive ( motor , controller, battery)
Knowing the issues that some guys are having getting the big outrunners functioning, i thought it may be useful to take a look at the Yuneec system as it seems to be well tested..
10kw , 72v, 2450rpm, 3.8kg, 160mm dia. Sensored.
motor.png

Their site says they have a slower 2000rpm ( 28Kv ?) version available also, which sounds very handy speed for a single stage reduction on an Ebike !
http://yuneeccouk.site.securepod.com/PowerMotor.html

Im sure its spendy, but there is always hope ?

Hillhater said:
Their site says they have a slower 2000rpm ( 28Kv ?) version available also, which sounds very handy speed for a single stage reduction on an Ebike !
Looking at the specs, the "slower" motor has a longer stator and is 6 kgs...........

http://yuneeccouk.site.securepod.com/PowerMotor_Tech_spec.html

Ahh 1, yes i missed that.
The spec seems to vary between 3.8 and 4.5kg on the "faster" (34Kv ) version also.
Thats a big weight increase for the slower wind ?
But even 34Kv at 50 v is still an attractive proposition ! (1700rpm)

Interesting but it looks like they want to sell it as a package deal and there's no availability date or pricing info that I could find. Maybe I missed it?

Yes , i read those before but they were focusing on the bigger motors. This 10kw unit looks to be the right size and KV for a high power mid drive with only single reduction.
However, whilst this is now an established drive package, with sensored control, i fear that it is still designed to run at a steady rpm without the low rpm current that an EV would load onto the controller. :cry:

Well they wont answer my email regarding pricing for a 'sample' with potential for higher volume later.... I even contacted them using my workplace alias/email address (Electronics Technician - The Australian National University - Research School of Physics & Engineering).

Either they're not interested in small fry orders.... :cry:.....or they think i might steal their IP :twisted:

Miles said:
boostjuice said:
I even contacted them using my workplace alias/email address (Electronics Technician - The Australian National University - Research School of Physics & Engineering).
Do you know Colin Dedman?

Yeah Ive had a good chat with him. Ive even seen his ~97% peak efficient prototype axial-flux motor he custom designed, together with his custom controller that needed added inductors inline to help it survive such low impedance motor phase coils. For some reason, he seemed to loose interest in the project before he actually installed it on a bicycle. And no, his axial flux motor design was a completely separate project from the CSIRO axial-flux solar hub motor.

The guy is an efficiency nut. He even custom designed and built his own ~98% efficient, ~40W LED driver board just because he wasn't satisfied with off the shelf drivers in the ~90% efficiency range.

He used to organise and race in the Australian electrathons during the 90's - when they were actually popular, and Pb-Acid was the exclusive battery choice. He took 1st place on at least 2 occasions, using some sort of low Kv british made motor custom mated to a large German made 9-inch angle grinder gearbox, chained to the rear wheel. The competition bike frame was custom welded for the battery enclosure and drive system.

Despite his efficiency craze, he loves exploring abandoned mine sites in National parks on a petrol driven Staton-drive > Nuvinci Soft-tail bike that as a necessity has range far beyond e-bikes.

boostjuice said:
Ive even seen his ~97% peak efficient prototype axial-flux motor he custom designed,
I wondered what happened to that... [ Ref. http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/power-assist/message/26440 ].

His posts on Power-Assist and LRK were greatly appreciated.

Miles said:
boostjuice said:
Ive even seen his ~97% peak efficient prototype axial-flux motor he custom designed,
I wondered what happened to that... [ Ref. http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/power-assist/message/26440 ].

His posts on Power-Assist and LRK were greatly appreciated.

Ahh yes, interesting. He seems like quite a private person, so I did wonder if he conversed about his work online. Also, when I mentioned Endless-Sphere a year back, he'd never heard of it.

Thinking back some more on our conversation 2 years ago, I seem to remember a comment that likely explained Colin's sudden drop in momentum/enthusiasm for that project. Much of the efficiency gains found in the new motor design were offset by losses in the required custom controller design. The super low phase coil impedances meant the radical dV/dT & dI/dT characteristics - at least at low RPM - had to be damped by 3 inductors or such large size inside the controller, that significant power was dissipated in them, and not the motor coils :lol: . Relates of course to the story of other large high efficiency outrunners like the Colossus 12Kw and CA-120 motor not playing nicely with even large beefed up off the shelf controllers.

I exchanged a few emails with him but I doubt he remembers me.

Colin was quite a prolific poster on Lrk-torquemax, for a while.

I wish we could get him participating on ES :D

Your explanation makes sense for an "efficiency nut". There are still the weight savings in the motor to be had, for the rest of us, though.... :)

Back