Outrunner: stationary shaft?

Erogo

100 W
Hello, I have a question because I don't know.

I searched with "outrunner shaft" and got the 207 posts, but they didn't seem to answer this question:

When I heard about outrunners, I thought it would mean that the shaft didn't turn, as it does on inrunners. Imagine my amazement when I bought an outrunner motor, and not only did the can spin, but also the shaft span as well, in the same direction! So my question now is, is are there outrunners that aren't also inrunners? i.e. outrunners with a stationary shaft? Or am I being mental?

Thank you
Eric

I dont know which kinds are already made, but it should be easy enough to alter an exsiting one to fix the shaft in place and run the can and stuff on bearings, I'd think.

Thanks AW, yes I'd imagine a clever person could modify one to get a stationary shaft. I transplanted the shaft on mine to get it to interface with my gearbox. From what I remember there wasn't much spare metal in that laminated bit it pokes through, to mill out and fit bearings! Maybe outriding bearings somehow? But by that point I'm filing it in the Too Hard tray, and looking for something else to think about.

Cheers!

Eric

It's called a dead shaft arrangement. No reason it can't be done if designed well.

I'm going to search on google, to see if I can find out whether there are any that are made like that.

Update :- no, doesn't look like it

Eric

Back