How to mod magic pie 2,9c,conis (now with cooling vane mods)

zappy

100 W
This is a guide on how to modify a Golden Motors magic pie 2. Some of these modifications can be carried over to other brands of hub motors: 9 continent, Mxus(cell man), 500w golden motors etc. This is meant to be basic for beginners, to encourage people to help themselves and make cost effective mods, and make the most of fairly modest motors, more reliably and a more sustained duty cycle. The Magic pie 2 offers good torque/$ ratio, but any of these hubs will get similar results.
If you want more torque you need more phase amps. The cheap hub motors all suffer from very small phase wires, because of a lack of space to fit through the center axle hole or a very skinny slot in the axle. This means that you can not run high phase amp currents for sustained periods of time without melting the phase wires, which short out your controller and blows it up. Any voltage drop in the phase wires also only diminishes max rpm. So if you have a magic pie with the standard 6 fet internal controller and want to upgrade to a large external controller or need larger phase wires on your 9C clone, read on.
I have made a few of this style of warmed hub motors for several people both magic pie 2's and 9c clones. This ones for my little brother (first time e-biker), paired with a cell man A123 52V pack http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=35&product_id=106 with a 80A BMS and 24 fet controller and run at about 4000w

Comparison of standard 15awg or 1.5mm phase wire and new turnigy 8awg 8.4mm wire.
P3020003 (2).jpg

Step 1: Undo the right hand side plate using a 3mm allen key, and tap or pry off RH side plate. They are now silicone on and need a bit of persuasion!
P3110030.jpg

Step 2: Now undo the LH side plate. Put an old block of wood on the floor and holding the hub or wheel from about 20cm high, push down, half hit, half push as straight as possible and the stator is removed.
P3110035.jpg
Step 3: Hold stator by the axle in vice. If the motor has been used before the washers with small flats will have kicked up a small burr on the axle. Remove with a small file so you can remove the bearing later.
P3110040.jpg
Step 4: cut back insulation on phase wire / motor winding join and unsolder. Wriggle off LH side cover, remove any circlips, Cut off hall wires at a convenient length to be re joined with new wires later, remove old wiring loom from axle and slip off bearing.
View attachment 12
Step 5: Push 8awg wire over original phase wire, bind with a small thread of copper striped from an old wire off cut, and solder nice and hot. cover with 2 layers of heat shrink. Solder on new hall wiring to some shielded 7 -10 core shielded wire, and heat shrink cover. The 2 extra wires in the hall bundle is for a copper winding temperature probe, the other 2 wires can be used for 4 X 12V computer fans run in series.
P3120054.jpg
P3160092.jpg
Step 6: you need to make or have made on a small lathe a bearing adapter, to go from the standard 15 X 42 to a thin wall 30 X 42 x 7mm bearing. Make to these approximate dimensions in the photo. This important! it must be a tight(.05mm) interference fit onto the axle or the bush could spin and damage wires the bearing diameter should be minimum clearance slip fit. Drilling the wire holes must be done VERY carefully, or you will break out of the bush side walls. Drilling for slightly smaller 10awg phase wires lessens this chance a bit. You can also put a M3 or M4 grub screw in the bush to lock it to the axle for added security. Make a couple of bushes at the same time for spares or other motors. This drawing is for a magic pie bush but 9C clones are similar.
PC110022.jpg
Step 7: Deburr any where wires could be damaged including axle slot and around the base of the hub/bush area. Silicon wire is excellent and flexible but the insulation cuts fairly easy on anything sharp!
P3120071.jpg
Step 8: thread new wires through bush and press or tap on bush with hammer.
P3120081.jpg
P3120083.jpg
Step 9: you need to clearance the LH side plate for your new big wires out to approximately 31mm bore. If you do not have a lathe or one big enough you could file it out pretty quick is just clearance so is not that important. I try and leave a small lip left for the disk to locate on but its not that important.
P3120084.jpg
P3120085.jpg
P3120086.jpg
Step 10: Use a template and marker to mark out some pretty pattern for cooling holes. Use a drill press and or a battery drill. I have not ever broken a side plate jumping of or riding up flights of stairs or frocking up double jumps etc, but be sensible that you don't join dot to dot holes for cracks to propagate along. You can hog the holes out at an angle for dubious aero advantage but a small debur may help prevent cracks starting. 1/4" to 7mm holes seems ok.
View attachment 2
P3160093.jpg
Step 11: You can remove the axle seal in the RH side plate with a screwdriver,the motor is full of holes now and this will do little. Hold the stator axle in the vice and wrap up phase wires with some tape and zip ties to hold it nice and compact against your axle so it does not rub on your disc brake center etc on the short turn radius out of the motor. assemble the motor left hand side plate 1st and make sure everything clears and is not rubbing. Now swap around in the vice with the RH pointing up, put on the flux ring/wheel over the stator making sure it is the correct way around/direction!! the MP2's have a wheel rim offset if you stuff this up you will have to pull it all apart again! (like i did) Watch your fingers don't get caught in between from the permanent magnets attraction to the stator iron. Bolt together side plates and make sure it all spins nice.
P3160107.jpg
These mods take a little bit of time but offer a VERY large improvement in max phase amps,torque, and cooling and if you run high volts in a small wheel it really makes the most out of fairly humble motors for very little cost and are still fairly light. Please feel free to improve on this or add any advice etc.

Zappy

wow nice tutorial!
seems like u put a lot of work in this pie

i modified mine with 12 AWG in the motor and 10 AWG from motor to 12 fet 4410 controller running 75A @ 75V and no problems so far
your wires should be able to handle 100A++ :shock:

Nice work.Very easy step by step explanations.How long to complete the conversion?

Pickle, it takes 1-2 hours to make the bush. Like any machining, while the machine is set up make some extras!! Yours friends will all want some too. the rest takes about 6 hours plus you need some torque arms to fit around the wires. I will take a photo next time they are off.
John, I got the bearings from here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BEARINGS-6800-6809-2RS-ZZ-OPEN-/200706878600?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:AU:3160 they are only 3 bucks so get some extras. I have changed mine once in 18 months of off road , over jumps and under water etc. Probably half as long as standard?
Here is a Golden Motors 500w(very similar to a Nine continent and conhis motor, with similar mods as shown here with 4000w and runs cool.

Zappy

Attachments

• P2020006.jpg
    P2020006.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 9,172
The standard pie comes sealed with some kind of varnish. You can just make it out in some of the photos. Toolman2 and i have used Nyalic on our stators. We regularly ride in rain, through creeks, storm drains and on the beach, with the open motors for a couple of years now with no problems.
The temp gauge we use is from Dick Smith here in Australia. Its a BBQ meat thermometer for around $15. You can get cheaper ones, but they turn them selves off constantly or chew through batteries and don't last. This temp probe is all Toolman2's work.
Step 1: cut off probe with small plumbers pipe cutter
Step 2: carefully remove sensor
Step 3: cut wires and extend to suitable length. I use a deans connector near the wheel so you can easily disconnect, when you need to change a tyre.

Attachments

• P3230126.jpg
    P3230126.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 9,039
  • P3160089.jpg
    P3160089.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 9,039
  • P3230125.jpg
    P3230125.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 9,039
There has been a lot of interest in cooling mods for small hub motors so i thought i would add this info with some actual dimensions etc. To encourage people to have a go. This is a simple to make version out of 1.2mm to 1.6mm aluminium angle. You could also bend up some sheet metal in a vice as an alternative or make some free form carbon versions. The dimensions given here make it fairly close to the internal phase and hall wires to try and maximize the vanes air flow benefits. So you will have to trial fit the side plates to the stator and carefully check for clearance and snip off any offending bits (don't damage your hall or phase wires!). The side plate version shown here has 8mm holes drilled, so approximately 50mm cross section per hole, times 144 holes gives 7200mm^2 per side plate . Probably not as good as the large slots that Justin used on his 9 continent motors but still reasonable and fairly practical for offroad riding etc. Feel free to be less conservative. The more air changes the better!!!
For the 24 vanes I cut down the aluminium angle to have about an 8mm foot to bolt to the side plates with 2 X M3 screws 6mm long and also applied a little bit of epoxy resin for insurance and act as a thread locktite. If oil cooling turns out to be better you can always take the vanes off and bolt them to the outside of the hub for more cooling surface area(???). Maybe someone with the 9 continent style motors could contribute some dimensions/ design details to make it easier for people to help them selves cool their hubs.
P4240009.jpg
P4240012.jpg
P4240014.jpg
P4240013.jpg
P4250019.jpg
Passive cooling mods like these are cheap, reliable and quiet, and help make the most out of modest motors. Your hub will be a LOT cooler and will cope with the next uphill assault better if it starts from a lower initial temperature. For hub wheel motors, the most helpful thing is to reduce the heat produced by the high phase amps needed by always using the smallest diameter wheel practical and upping the battery voltage to compensate for the reduction in speed as a result of the smaller diameter wheel.

Zappy

Dropped by Zappy's place with a 9c I had lying around collecting dust for a couple years. While there, Zappy suggested performing some surgery and doing his big phase wire mod. A few beers and a couple hours later, most of the conversion was done. Overall I'm highly impressed with the result. Next step is to fit some fans and vanes and pump some serious amps through those phase wires :twisted:

View attachment 1

IMG_20130515_134817.jpg

IMG_20130515_134748.jpg

No doubt the phase wire mod was executed in a very cool way... but all this trouble for 10 to 20 cm.... why not
fatten up the wires to the controller right after they come out of the axle, why all this trouble to do it
10cm earlier inside the motor ?

Hi Lebowski, The standard 9C wires are EVEN smaller than the ones pictured on the magic pie at the top of this post! When wires are bundled, like a 9C axel the wire gets derated by about 30%, add a hot environment like inside an over amped hub, and derate them even more. The phase wires through the axle seem to be the weakest link in the chain and the 1st thing to fail on the little 9 continent motors (Justin must mod them just to do his heat soak tests at even fairly low phase amps). You could put massive wires just outside the axle and it will still just fail at the same dismal amps. But i do I agree with you the 8awg phase wires are a bit of over kill, but that's all i had laying around and it is no harder to install, or extra time involved and maybe a little extra cost($1?). I do run over 150 phase amps. The very stupid design of having wires coming out the end of the hub axle also often causes premature phase wire or controller death by being crushed off any time you drop your bike (how many motors has suffered this fate?)

Zappy

Kareleski has PM me about installing computer fans into a magic pie, so I have put up a few old photos. I run 4 fans dimensions 50mm X 50mm by 10 mm thick, 12v run in series straight off the main battery pack voltage of 80v. They seem reliable even at 20volts. 5,6 or 8 fans could fit. You do have to file a bit of plastic off the fan housings to make them fit. The aluminium sheet is only .6mm thick. The 4 fans and sheet metal only weighs 135g and uses 3mm bolts and a bit of silicon to hold them all in place. I have never had a problem in several thousand km of off road riding even going through deep water etc. A simple mini switch on the handle bars turns them on or off. I try to keep the stator below 150c but have seen short bursts of 200c(starting to smell real bad) running 6kw at 80volts. One of the biggest differences in reducing heat is using smaller wheels(I know they look weird) but on the same day on the same down hill track of around 4km long using a 26" wheel stator temp was 150c and I had to stop and let it cool down. I damaged the rim(bad) and swapped to my spare flux ring with 16" moto rim and changed rear suspension pickup to compensate change in wheel size. On the same course max temp was only 80c!!! and I could ride constantly and I get arm pumped instead. The extra thrust out of corners is excellent. But is not so good for riding up stairs. These cooling fan mods really help with quick motor cool down. Please give serious consideration to trying a smaller diameter wheel as well. I hope this helps.
Zappy

Attachments

• PC110036.jpg
    PC110036.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 6,981
  • PC110032.jpg
    PC110032.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 6,981
  • PC110042.jpg
    PC110042.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 6,981
  • P3170073.jpg
    P3170073.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 6,981
Hi Zappy, thanks for your comment! Very nice!
My friend has realized modification according to your instruction already (without fans). It seems to be very efficient as overheating problem and better torque.
What battery are you using? LiPol or LiFePo?

24s of A123 20ah prismatics.
I have used a few ecrazyman 24fet controllers but have had a few reliability issues with blown fets(one just stopped today from plugging it into my 7000w killer kick scooter! :twisted: but I had just dropped it off the bench :cry: ) or usually a KEB 8KW Kelly controller, which has a LOT better throttle modulation.
Do you have any pics? Did you have any problems doing these mods?
Zappy

Like these mods a lot!

I only just saw this now, but did something very similar to my HS4065 recently.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=56965#p905707
P1070199.jpg

P1070205.jpg

I've only had the chance to test it once...and then I accidentally killed my DC-DC converter. On my one short test run so far, I could not get the stator over 60C. This was only pushing 3KW, but at repeated slow and tough conditions. As soon as I was going cruising speed again, it would cool off very fast down to 40-50C. This was at around 10C ambient.

One of the differences with mine is I am going to use a variable voltage DC-DC converter to power the fans. That way I can decrease the speed to make them quieter when needed. During my test run, I was running them at 12.5V, but they are ok up to 15V...just a bit loud!

Cheers

24s of A123 20ah prismatics
that`s nice!!! A123 are reputedly the best batteries for ebike!!
Do you have some cycle analyst? What is max. current (A) ??

I didnt realize yet your modification of my Magic Pie. But my buddy has made it before 14 days already (without fans, with some blades inside motor). He seems to be satisfied :) I have to do it as well. I have two bikes.
DH bike Canyon Torque 200/200mm 26``wheels with Magic Pie, Kelly KBS L controler 72V, 35A, max. 100A, LiFePo4 battery 72V 15Ah, speed 50-60 kmph on flat - see photo. We ride first of all the single tracks in our mountains. I have overheating problem with motor in the longer steep uphill especially when I have to ride slowly. Your modification should help :)
Another bike is Canyon 160/160mm newly with Cyclone 1680W middrive motor, LiPol (12S) 44,4V, 12Ah batteries and Kelly controller. Not tested yet right. I plan to add more Lipol batteries (44V 16Ah or 66V 19Ah) and better controller (Kelly KBS X 72V, 55A, max. 130A).

Attachments

• DH.jpg
    DH.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 2,059
Good work cowardlyduck!
The little fans make a big difference at slow speeds and for a quick cool down.(unvented stators after a good spanking stay very hot for a long time and can heat soak your magnets). At high speeds fans seem to make less difference. In Canberra at this time of year, high temps are not usually a problem. The will to ride in the frost is!
Zappy

Hey Zappy, great mod! I'm new to the Ebike scene and am currently making a magic pie 3 fit into a fat bike rim for a front wheel drift trike. I'm unsure of what external controller to go as the aussie dollar is so down at the moment the prices are too much to buy a decent controller from overseas. any idea of anyone in Australia that sells a cheaper than $200 decent controller?. I'm considering doing your mod to my pie as i have it apart at the moment and would save me time pulling it all apart/buying a better hub motor in the future. i won't have to mod the housing as much as you did for your pie 2, as il have the extra space where the internal controller was.. any tips or any help on the controller front would be greatly appreciated mate as I'm stumped at the moment.

Back