Self balancing with Turnigy 80-100 motor

Roosevelt

100 µW
Hello friends,

i want to build a self balancing vehicle with a single wheel, powered by a powerful bldc hub motor.

Problem:
I have searched for days but i could not find a hub motor which is small enough to fit inside the rim of my tire (6"/ 150mm inner diameter).
Most of the China hub Motors, which are used for electric scooters (8", 10", 12"), can not be separated from the rim, even gearless units. A Pity..

So i thought about powering the whole story by the "Turnigy 80-100-B 130Kv Brushless Outrunner" using a planetary gear which i would build by my own from single gear parts (unless i find something suitable).

Would it work if i use for speed controlling/ reversing an Arduino, which is communicating via PWM with the "Simple BLDC Controller" by Jeremy Harris (Sparkfun 6DOF as gyro) ?

Everything should be as cheap as possible.

Any thoughts are highly appreciated as i do not want to invest into something that will not work in reality.

Best regards

simply use a MAC or Bafang BPM motor. it is has more torque than a 80100 and it is about the same weight (~2kg). Km² is about 0.55 for the BPM where the 80100 has only 0.17, so it needs higher reduction to gain the same torque https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65757

the dia is around 150mm without the spoke flange. if you want i can measure

Thanks crossbreak!
Apparently the rim size changed to 5" (127mm dia) because the tire i originally wanted is currently unvailable.
So i searched for skateboard hub motors but they are not powerful enough (max. is 36V/ 250W at uumotor).
And the 80100 will not fit either. Got an eye on the Aerodrive SK3 - 6374-149kv by Turnigy now.

Does anybody know if the VESC Controller by Benjamin Vedder can change the direction on the fly ?
Already wrote him an email, but he does not answer, need to know it pretty quickly.
Project-deadline is not patient :)

Should i go for the vesc ? I'm not sure.
Or is there another bldc controller that is able to change the direction on the fly and is buyable assembled ?

I have found the kind of motor you might be looking for, controller still needs to be cleared out, see my recent post on this forum
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=83934

Any progress on the controller issue?

Any controller out there, that can do current control with fast enough updates?

Cheers!

travaux.png

Well done :mrgreen: How about spending some time to learn about VESC?

Back