My DIY FOC controller spinning a Zero Motorcycles motor

zombiess

10 MW
Decided to get down to business today and figure out the last few bugs stopping my FOC controller from working. This is just a prototype, but I'm trying to develop this into a product. Next up is testing on my motor dyno with some other larger motors I have connected shaft to shaft.

[youtube]mIkHQzueuHI[/youtube]

Awesome work Zombiess!!!

Very awesome. I've been thinking about building my own controller. Such a daunting task though, lol.

parabellum said:
Nice! Is it starting without sensors?

Yes, this is sensorless. The startup can be a little jerky at times, but from what I've read on TI's boards this is minimized once the motor is under load and things are properly setup. Instapsin claims full torque startup ability. As you can tell from the video this motor is unloaded. I have two older motors setup with a belt in a dyno type configuration which I need to test out next.

The motor in the video is only 23uH and somewhere around 5mOhm so it falls under the "Challenging to drive" category. What's nice is Instaspin has goodies such as field weakening built right in, all I need to do is set a variable. In this video I was only using phase current control, with a few variable changes I can configure it in speed control or speed/current control.

My motor dyno.
2015-12-01.jpg

Back