RC vs Scooter motor

MrGlasspoole

1 µW
Hi,

i wonder why the Scooter's have this big and heavy motors when the RC motors are also powerful.
I did read that people get 30 miles out of there Skateboard with 8s 20000mAh...36t/15t and RC motors.

MrGlasspoole said:
Hi,

i wonder why the Scooter's have this big and heavy motors when the RC motors are also powerful.
I did read that people get 30 miles out of there Skateboard with 8s 20000mAh...36t/15t and RC motors.

1) RC manufacturers are overstating the potential to impress the RC buyers while the scooter manufacturers are understating to slip past laws on how powerful they can be.

2) RC motors have the minimal metal to make them light while they run just a few minutes, while the scooter motors have extra metal to help them survive running up to an hour or whatever.

3) A long the same lines, the windings are different for much the same reason.

4) I should think people could come up with other reasons but all that really matters is they're built to suit a purpose, so you're choosing between one that is not built to suit your use and one that is.

If it's the manufacturers who are overstating the potential of the RC motors, then i wonder why all the skateboard people use the motors.

There is one exception. E-Glide is using for example the MY8922 and 3 heavy 12V 10Ah lead acid batteries.
It's only one wheel drive and this boards also drive 22 mph and 15 miles.

The design is simple and seems to work.
big-02-a2.jpg

So i wonder why they all use two RC motors and RC ESC's.
Is there a 36V brushless scooter motor out there?

Of course the smaller motor is nice for the skateboard. There's nothing to wonder about, if the smaller had no drawbacks they'd all be small. Instead you see them where they're more necessary.

Sorry for asking again. Just want to make sure i interpret your last sentence right (i guess my english is ok but sometimes... - I'm german).
You opinion is that the scooter motors are better for passenger transportation?

I have no problem with having such a big motor on a skateboard. Only thing i puzzle with is the weight because of range/speed and one wheel vs two wheel drive.

The point is, maybe you SHOULD have a problem with the big motor on the small board. You ask the scooter/skateboard section here and they'll favor your little RC motor for it's advantages. But that's your decision.

Heat also plays a big part in motor application. Like was mentioned earlier, a scooter/bike motor tends to have a lot of metal to soak up and eventually dissipate heat. Compared to RC airplanes and cars they get relatively low airflow and high load.

These tiny little high revving RC motors you see have very little metal making them incredibly light weight. In an airplane they basically power a fan blowing right back on the motor at 50 mph+ 80ish kph. so they can run wide open throttle(WOT) no problem. RC cars and airplanes weigh less than most wheel sets so the load is very small resulting in less heat to begin with.

You need a gear reduction unit for RC motors in Ebike applications. Skateboards work great because of small wheels. Bicycles and scooters have big wheels. A gear reduction unit makes cooling very difficult.

EDIT: I would most def avoid that skateboard unless you can try it. That thing is at least 50lbs/23kg ish.

Back