3D printed outrunner brushless

Doctorbass

100 GW
Quite interesting what these 3d printer are capable of!!

Ever heard about these special magnet orientation with a weak side and a strong side with some 90 degree angle magnet?

Doc

[youtube]NFvMC3l3fGY[/youtube]

Tested until it EXPLODE !!!

with tangent speed uup to nearlu 300km/h!

[youtube]WEEDJiC8Jqc[/youtube]

Doc

I saw this a while back and thought, why didnt they reinforce the shell with a thin metal can? But i guess there aim was to see how far they could push it without. Still makes me think you can make a motor of any diameter more or less now with 3d printers. great for a long thin one that could slide down the seat tube.

Hillhater said:
I think this just demonstrates that there are far better materials to make motor rotors from.
....And the limitations of 3d printing materials .

What is a 3dprinting material?

I would consider myself pretty well oriented in the 3dprinting / addivitve manufacturing area.
I do have 5different printers myself and work with additive manufacturing. (mainly metals)

Your statement sounds like a misconception I hear now and then from people with poor understanding of 3d/am.
If you refer to the plastic used in the motor prints it is not exclusive to 3dprinting or even fused deposition modeling printers.

If I would print the bell in my markforged printer with fiber reinforcement, it wouldn't explode.
However I would not call that feasibility of 3dprinting materials. It is just materials applied and used in a specific way.
The fdm method does have flaws but also its strengths.

I find this to be a very good example of interesting developments in the 3d area.

Wheazel said:
Hillhater said:
I think this just demonstrates that there are far better materials to make motor rotors from.
....And the limitations of 3d printing materials .
......If I would print the bell in my markforged printer with fiber reinforcement, it wouldn't explode.
However I would not that superiority of 3dprinting materials. It is just materials applied and manufactured in a specific way.
I find this to be a very good example of interesting developments in the 3d area.
Its very likely there may be materials that could be used to 3dp a motor can, but at what diameter and what rpm would you be confident of.?
Further, i would suspect the cost of a motor bell produced in that manner would far exceed varous other established methods with conventional materials.....even in prototype volumes.
But my point was that the material used for the motor in the video was a poor choice and demonstrated its limitations very clearly.
Personally i think it is another example of an unsuitable application of the 3dp process.

Hillhater said:
Its very likely there may be materials that could be used to 3dp a motor can, but at what diameter and what rpm would you be confident of.?
Further, i would suspect the cost of a motor bell produced in that manner would far exceed varous other established methods with conventional materials.....even in prototype volumes.
But my point was that the material used for the motor in the video was a poor choice and demonstrated its limitations very clearly.
Personally i think it is another example of an unsuitable application of the 3dp process.

For the load scenario in this case, I would not be worried about rpm at all, but there would probably be other limitations to the design than strength.
Fun example of fiber reinforced fdm. https://markforged.com/3d-printing-the-strongest-link/

The real value in this does not lie in the total cost of the materials used, but in the actual possibilities to build a motor like this.
I have built a lot of small rc motors in my youth. And it has been with already made stators and most often rotors as well, bought or salvaged from other devices.
The fact that he builds a 3dprinted motor, with 80% system efficiency from off the shelf consumer materials is cool.
I could not build by own stator before(I would have to order thin laminations of a custom shape and stack them), now I have the potential to do it easily.

He also crammed in featues like slots for the magnets, and a stator shape that makes winding easier.
I fully agree that this probably isn't a manufacturing method for electrical motors, but who knows what can be achieved with more refinement and development.
It is not like we have seen the last innovation in this area.

Furthermore, there are well known business cases with topology-optimized rotors for electric motors done with metal AM.

Hopefully the 3D printed motors can spark some drive into manufacturers, to go the extra mile for their motors. There are so many low hanging fruits manufacturers could grasp to make their motors better. But so far "good enough" is the currency of choice.

Wheazel said:
to me, that is another good example of how not to use 3Dp !
Im sure you know that they could have produced a 3Dp "link" that would have been much stronger, but they chose to mimic a design optimized for steel instead ?
I realise it was only an exercise in design, but...
How much stronger would that same size link be in steel ?..and how much cheaper ? quicker to make ?, etc etc
It seems most 3Dp advocates at the moment are looking for suitable applications to suit the process...which is a backwards logic.
..new processes are normally developed to suit applications or solve problems when they arrise.

Hillhater said:
Wheazel said:
to me, that is another good example of how not to use 3Dp !
Im sure you know that they could have produced a 3Dp "link" that would have been much stronger, but they chose to mimic a design optimized for steel instead ?
I realise it was only an exercise in design, but...
How much stronger would that same size link be in steel ?..and how much cheaper ? quicker to make ?, etc etc
It seems most 3Dp advocates at the moment are looking for suitable applications to suit the process...which is a backwards logic.
..new processes are normally developed to suit applications or solve problems when they arrise.

Well since that link got them a lot of attention, the marketing campaign was successful.
Of course you can make it in steel for less, but can you do it in your livingroom without a proper workshop?

I agree that production methods should be used where it is reasonable, and on good grounds.
Naturally the 3d/AM world is looking for business cases that suit the current tech/process. If they find an application where it is beneficial to use AM instead of casting, I don't see the problem.
When new tech and manufacturing opportunities emerge, why shouldn't they be applied where it makes sense?

However the best AM cases are usually the ones where the design was made for AM in the first place.
A well known example is tooling with cooling channels for injection molding, or various gas/fuel burner nozzles.

Back