Hub motor issues

I was out riding my bike on my way home from work.
Long story short, i crashed.
Not a singel sign of life came when i tried to ride.
And when i stod up and tried to walk, it feelt like my brakes were on. Not all the way but just enough that it is hard to rotate.
After much investigation i could source it to a broken controller.
The braking feeling disappeard when i disconected the controller.
But now when i tried to ride it just hours ago the same braking feeling is back.
So my question is what is wrong?

Somehow your phase wires are shorting out. Whether that is from the controller, broken wires or burnt up windings......your going to have to figure that part out.

Tom

Yes, that would be good.

As the first post explained the problems i will now write the fix.
It was a easy fix. I order a new controller and disassembley the rear hub. I saw some wire damage at the shafts insert were the wires had some chafing, but not cut off.
I solved that problem and moved on and could not see any other issue.
Then when the controller arrived i hooked it up and it worked perfect.

My theory is that when i crashed i hit the controller hard and it shorted itself out, cause when i opened the controller up i saw that one phase was black at some spots. And i recall that when i feelt on the contoller it was hot.

Thank you all for the help.

As a note, the root cause was probably the wires themselves. If the phase wires were abraded and shorted together, they would short across FETs and that usually results in blown FETs in the controller.

Even pretty hard impacts on a controller itself don't usually result in failure, unless parts break off inside or the PCB cracks.

Back