Alternative to Mobipus 72600 and dlc 28 clone motor?

macribs

10 MW
Ok, so I've been hit with a major case in my face. I was gonna do a motorcycle build, and it was all planned around the mobipus 72600 controller and the dlc 28 clone motor from the man behind the mobipus. Suddenly both motor and controller is revoked from the market. And I am currently stuck'd without any alternative in that price and power range at least from what I've been able to find.

I guess a Zero motor 75-7 could work, but is it possible to get one for less then 2K? Gen 4 controller I would like to avoid due to programming and I really would like to find an alternative controller that can push 40 kw + without being too complicated to program and without busting the bank. Any tips?

I think I must draw the line at 3K total for motor and controller. Any more and I might as well just get a used Zero motorcycle. Because the battery pack will be very expensive and I paid good money for relatively new donor motorcycle. I must keep total cost less then 8 k otherwise I will get a Zero next spring.

I've been logging every ride on the speed triple the past two months. I was a little surprised looking at the data. I was actually going slower then I expected. Rarely ridden past 150 km/h. And most of my riding is at twisty coastal and country roads. In all them bends going 20-30 km/h past speed limit really is all that is needed to enjoy the ride. So the thought was to do a motorcycle build with top speed of less then 150 km/h. Just focus on a meaty mid range and acceleration from stand still and low speed cornering.

But as I can't find any alternative to the mobilpus 72600 and the dlc 28 clone I am not sure if I should keep pushing forward or just put the whole build on ice until one day mobipus products are available to the public.

Thoughts? Tips?

Yeah, it sucks for us plebs that Mobipus went OEM only.

You could always get the real DLC 28, and then get a Kelly KLS14401-8080 (144V-400A max, so 57.6kW), that would be around $2400US combined ($1500 motor, $900 controller).

Goldenmotors has that 20-25kW continuous, watercooled beastie. It's $1590US. Can do 50kW peak. I don't know what frame you are using, but its 30cm x 30cm x 25cm (1ft x 1ft x 10in). They also have a 15kW version. For controllers they have the HPC700 which can do 96V and 560A peak (for 1min), and its $920US, so just over $2500 for that 20-25kW motor and controller combo.

https://goldenmotor.com/ > Click BLDC motor in the menu to check out the motors, Click Motor Controllers to check out the controller.

That's all I got for ya.

that sucks in true as was planning to get the 72600 also. Some of those big Kelly's do the same thing right?

Have a chat with Vito from QSmotor, he mentioned new LBMC controllers more powerful then the well known APT 96600. I can't remember the correct model number right now, but I do remember the controller had peak Amp > 700 A!!! 8)

LBMC got high amp controller series that handle 48v-120v, with more then 500A peak (Power = Volt x Amp) :twisted: 8) . Should make that e-grin just a little wider then your regular e-bike controller.

QSmotor also got some new motors coming, I haven't had time to follow up on those so I am not sure what we can expect. I am not expecting a straight dlc 28 clone from QSmotor, but I hope they do take their mid motor to the next level - true e-motorcycle stage. Well passed the e-scooter/moped power level and well into Zero MC territory. That is where we need to be for maximum fun for mx conversions, sportbike or motord conversions. Now take that kind of power and hammer it into a slightly modified scooter/moped 45 build and we are talking serious business and red light winning grin machine.

If nothing else there are a few Zero Mc motor clones out there priced around 1000 $ +.

As usual from QSmotor prices are within sanity. Lets cross our fingers and hope QS whips up a mid motor in the > 40-50 kw range. For true fun and addiction.

Back