Is it OK to mix motor and controller from different brands??

I have searched the net and this forum, but I have not found a clear answer to this yet:
Can I use controller from one brand and motor from another - and it will work fine? Or are controllers taylor-made for a specific motor?

My case: I will build two motors into a three wheel cargo bike (two-wheel front drive). And I want the regen-function.
I have some Golden motor BLT-800 motors, and some Golden Motor BAC-28 ("cruise controller") controllers, but I am considering to use hub motors instead. The good thing with my BAC-controllers is that I know they can be programmed (max speed, regen current, rotation direction etc...), so I would like to keep them.
Can I use any BLDC or (direct drive) hub motor with the BAC-controllers? I.e. the Conhismotor? Or am I stucked with motors (or even only the BLTs) from Golden Motor?

I am thankful for any replies;)

Yes, you can use other brands of controllers. You will likely have to install different plugs and maybe puzzle out the correct order for phase and Hall sensor wires.

You also need to match the amp capacity of the controller with the motor, more or less. Don't send your motor a lot more amps than it is rated for.

Back