cooler graphene windings in motors?

98% is really something. We could Kiss good bye the heat outta our hubs. The nanotubes are very advanced right now. There's a company here that seems to have almost mechanized the building proccess of graphene nanotubes. They built a ship already and they plan to make batteries next. The performance, weight and resistance are highly improved with this tech.

Looks like you can buy it now!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Long-12-meters-Graphene-Copper-Wire-Signal-Line-Diameter-0-6mm-A2K5-LW/182809796777?_trkparms=aid%3D777003%26algo%3DDISCL.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20161005235502%26meid%3D89d71df2143e4e8597c9fafd025e2a03%26pid%3D100688%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D3%26sd%3D222475823588&_trksid=p2385738.c100688.m4649

Not cheap and maybe not insulated. And no resistivity specs. Who wants to try it?

And what about Stanene?
https://newatlas.com/stanene-topological-insulator/29976/

Doesn't half look like an over-priced reel of regular copper wire...

Images hosted on a broken, free photobucket account and not even a microscope shot to show the alleged coating on the wire. :?

Punx0r said:
Doesn't half look like an over-priced reel of regular copper wire...

Images hosted on a broken, free photobucket account and not even a microscope shot to show the alleged coating on the wire. :?

That would be my guess. Take regular cheap copper wire and maybe dip it in the graphene powder you can also buy on eBay. Maybe even skip the dipping part.

zzoing said:
It'd be cool to have a 98 percent efficient hub. please send me one, It's a wise investment.
Given that copper loss is only a fraction of the total loss in a well designed motor - color me unconvinced.

We can make motors now that are 98% efficient, but they're expensive. Typical direct drive hub motor has horrible copper losses at low speeds. I'd be super happy if I could reduce those losses. At higher speeds, the regular cheap copper works fine.

Looking at the prices.... I am willing to fry 3 or 4 hubs...and still save some money.
Eventually prices will be lower.

It's a technology for 2050 because one-atom materials cost a lot.

The Rice Uni nanotubes are 4 times more conductive that copper for the same mass, so that probably translates to 30% lighter motor? individually nanotubes are 1000x more conductive, and in a thread it's only 4 times as of 2013.

http://nanoamor.com/carbon_nanotubes___nanofibers?st-t=adwords&gclid=Cj0KCQiAmITRBRCSARIsAEOZmr5yj8CvgQ-ln8N1AZ4ezMCmQhcmlO-4NBHpGMNHGfZaQJY2zQZ0IZ8aAvseEALw_wcB
I found a place to buy lots of nanotubes, except that there isn't wires on it. maximum wire length 200nm. the tubes to make the bike are only 800 euros, except then I'd have to weave them.

here a pic of a motor wound with nano tube wire:

motor.jpg

From what i found out those carbon nano tubes are only conductive in AXIAL direction. This leads to a lot of problems if you like to add connectors or join the nano tubes with other conductive materials.
Anyway, it would be amazing to have this wires available for the masses with solutions for interconnections and connectors.

Does anyone know how the connection works? Is it special kind of soldering, conductive glue, or something completely different?
On the pic above it looks like solder.

The kind of material you're talking about is called "metal matrix composite", and such materials have been used for their mechanical properties for a long time. Some electrical brush materials are also MMCs.

The relative properties of carbon nanotubes and pure copper suggest that the addition of buckytubes would make the copper stiffer, harder, and less ductile in proportion to the quantity of fullerenes in the mix. It would not necessarily change the surface qualities of the copper or the techniques required to join to it. Keep in mind that all electrical joints to wires have different resistance than the wire itself.

My guess is that carbon nanotubes in copper would affect its workability more dramatically than they affect its conductivity. At some point, different motor architecture with larger radius bends, or with ribbon rather than round wire, might be required. These changes could offset some of the benefit of the wire's improved conductivity.

While you're thinking about what subtle rewards there might be in using nanotube-copper MMC wire rather than pure copper, keep in mind that carbon nanotubes are like super asbestos to living tissues.

That's cool! So it would be difficult to machine copper-graphene alloys. Graphene is a wild goose chase.

What would happen if they do windings of flat spirals same as a spiral of electrical tape using laser vapor deposition, else simply a 20 micron scotch of graphene conductive tape, and put a current in it? what would happen to the magnetic field?

Depends on the price. On the other hand it is save to say that in the future there will be almost every high-end equipment enhanced with some kind of nanomaterials. It can be graphene, fullerene or some other (http ://mstnano.com/products/) material or coating. One thing for sure... its gonna be interesting.

Back