Converting a controller from 48v to 72v

geoff57

10 kW
Hi
I bought 2 48v electric scooters with a lot of security features that I would like to keep, I want to up the torque of them by changing from 48v(13sr li ion) to 72v (20s LiPo) is it possible to convert the controllers, in next few days I’ll get some picks of one of the controllers.
Geoff

Maybe, but prob not. Usually the capacitors for 48 are too low a voltage to handle 84v (72v nominal when fully charged). You might get lucky tho.. and then you have to contend with the low voltage cutoff not being right for the new voltage.

Its probably too difficult to do it right. But before trying, keep in mind that higher voltage means higher RPM, and exactly the same torque.
If you want more torque you need more amps or different gearing.

There's a number of threads for people discussing the problems with upgrading controllers to higher voltage (sometimes incorrectly titled with "overclocking"), if you look around.

Mostly, it's going to be cheaper to buy a new controller that is already made to do what you want, since you'll likely have to change the FETs and main capacitors at a minimum, for somethign that will handle 100v (usually the next step after 60v and 75v parts).

I’ve decided to take the easy way out. I’ve ordered 10 12fet controllers from china’s Alibaba web site I had to get 10 but what I don’t use I can sell on eBay they have 4110 fets and a Bluetooth link with apps in iOS and Android for programming.
I got one befor from a local supplier and they work very well, getting from China will about half the price selling on the test will allow me to recoup the cost even if I only sell 5 and keep 5 for myself.
Geoff

Back