Fechter's Mini Meanwell Limiter Board

Place for dealers to post items for sale.

Re: Fechter's Mini Meanwell Limiter Board

Postby nicobie » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:42 pm

fechter wrote:I'm working with Degull to try to get more of these boards made. I first need to review the layouts and make any needed corrections. Hopefully we can make these available again soon.

This is good news indeed!

May your tote always stay tight and your edge eversharp :wink:

my eTownie build thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23701
nicobie
10 MW
10 MW

Postby Degull » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:34 pm

Hello everyone. I'm a newb in the Ebike world and I've been lurking around the forum for quite sometime. At the moment I'm working on building my own a123 48v battery and I plan on feeding it with a Meanwell PS. These limiter boards are perfect for people like me that are looking to get into the hobby. My motivation behind getting the limiter boards manufactured is to make them available to everyone again. More importantly, not having to build one on a bread board. I'm not looking to profit, I'm just giving back to the community by fronting the cash to have the boards manufactured then distribute them.

cor wrote:
Hi Richard,
Let me know if you like help - for example requesting a local (Sunnyvale) PCB house for a quote to produce & populate these. That would allow making them SMT and selling them complete without hassle about populating boards or making kits.

BTW, what was the issue or issues with the 3-pot board? I could see that the float control was iffy in that it had a control range of 5 mV while you probably also need to deal with noise and the opamp offset which is 3mV worst case, so more than half the control range. The noise can be dealt with by careful design and the control range vs input offset just means that the control range should be a little larger and also allow going negative. Or use an opamp with better spec.

A complete SMT solution would be the best no doubt but that might be far off if we have to rework the design and go through a testing phase. At the moment Fetcher has a couple of working designs. The simple limiter version and the 3 pot version. Both of these boards are working and I was going to propose that we have both of them made. If you have anything that we could simply add to the versions that already exist then please your thoughts are welcome! I would love to get my hands one of these pronto!

NeilP wrote:
If there is another run of these boards..would a mod to them be possible to have a parallel sharing option as well?

That would be amazing addition as well but again that will slow down the whole process for those of us that do not have a limiter already. It looks as though there are no more of these boards floating around for sale and I for one would like to have one now. Unless you want to part with the pretty one you took the pics of :D :D :D
Degull
100 W
100 W

Postby cor » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:47 pm

NeilP wrote:If there is another run of these boards..would a mod to them be possible to have a parallel sharing option as well?

Hi Neil,
I do not know how much interest there is for paralleling power supplies to get higher current charging.
If there is and Richard is interested then I can share a quick sketch I made, it would add another dual opamp to the current limiter board.
He said that he will review/redesign the 3-pot board anyway, but I will let Richard decide if he wants to try to include the current sharing thing.
I have a couple S-240-48 on which I could experiment with current control and sharing while charging my battery pack.
cor
100 W
100 W

Postby cor » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:06 pm

Degull wrote:A complete SMT solution would be the best no doubt but that might be far off if we have to rework the design and go through a testing phase.

Hi Degull, welcome!
I actually joined here recently, I had an EV for a while but came here to see what others are doing to their eBikes. I bought an almost unused, 12yo bike with bad batteries and am about to install its first Lithium pack.
The SMT was just an idea, it would cut down on assembly time and errors and frustration in getting parts - once the layout is tested to work.
Another interesting option is PCBfabExpress who have a "bare bones" offer that gives you two-sided FR4 boards with plated-through holes, which seems to be something that Richard was already using for the limiter boards. They have a $40 lot charge and $0.60 per square inch, so when ordering 50 boards of 2x2 inch (I estimate that is the size of the limiter) then the cost is $3.20 per PCB if my math is correct.
SMT boards will typically be more expensive, especially if populated, but at higher quantities this quickly comes down and becomes competitive with through-hole boards, especially if you take the cost for your own time into account.
cor
100 W
100 W

Postby NeilP » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:47 pm

cor wrote:Another interesting option is PCBfabExpress who have a "bare bones" offer that gives you two-sided FR4 boards with plated-through holes, which seems to be something that Richard was already using for the limiter boards.

Yes, this is true, it was Richard (Fechter) that put me on to the ExpressSHC ExpressPCB software. He or Gary may still have the ExpressSCH file that they used to make the original run of boards. If they did then that would make getting a new run in the same format very easy I would expect

Degull wrote:That would be amazing addition as well but again that will slow down the whole process for those of us that do not have a limiter already. It looks as though there are no more of these boards floating around for sale and I for one would like to have one now.

So you did check with Gary at TPPACKS? I thought he told me he still had plenty of the original boards left but had stopped selling them because of setup documents and component placement issues

Degull wrote:Unless you want to part with the pretty one you took the pics of :D :D :D

No sorry, want to hang on to this one for my next build.

But as for not having a limiter, I personally see the limiting function of this board as an almost redundant feature anyway. For me the big feature of the boards is the charge current monitoring and end of charge cut off (voltage drop ) and LED indication when charge complete.

If anyone has the ability to build one of these boards from kit form, then they sure do have the ability to mod the Meanwell to limit current without this board.
To do it on the S series requires soldering two wires to pre drilled holes on the board and wiring the other end of the wires to a potentiometer.
On the NES series, the mod may be a little more involved, as I am not sure if R134 is an SMD or conventional resistor and how it is laid out as I do not have one of these boards anymore to check. I believe it may involve cutting a track also..>Cor will answer I am sure

Be it an S series and the R33/ R37/SVR1 mod or the new NES series and the R134 mod that Cor has worked out, they are both the quickest and easiest way to give you adjustable current limiting compared to the buying, building and setting up a limiter board.
Anyone that has a parts bin in their workshop of old spare electronics components (resistors,pots etc) could have an S series at least, current mod'ed in under an hour, from disassembly to re assembly...One 5 k pot and two lengths of wire..job done. If you wanted to be gash about it you could even do it without removing the board from the case and solder the wires directly to the legs of R33. So 15 mins at the outside.

It has been noted that the NES series Meanwell auto shuts down and has a relay that kicks out when current flow drops below around 20mA. If it could be determined if this 'load monitoring' and the 20mA figure could be made adjustable, then we could do away with needing an extra board at all, as these functions are already built in to the supplies as they are.
Last edited by NeilP on Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mongoose MTB, Fox forks,26x2.3 tyres, 180mm disks. 20s 20Ah LiPo, Lyen 18 FET,5304 in 26 inch EX721. 9k miles 2years

:) Only Irish coffee provides in a glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar, and fat :)

“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law', because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.”
NeilP
10 GW
10 GW

Postby fechter » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:19 am

When running multiple supplies in parallel, each one will run at its limit until the pack reaches near full charge, at which point they may not share evenly. I don't think this is a problem. Most of the time they will be in CC mode and sharing according to their individual limits. Once a supply hits CV, the pack is essentially done charging.

Most of the issues with the 3 pot board were with the setup and testing instructions. There were also some issues with the parts fitting the holes on the board, both of which are easily corrected. It is still a bit tricky to set the cutoff current as you need some way to get the current at the cutoff point (around 100mA?) to make the adjustment. If everyone wanted the same cutoff current, I could use fixed resistors and eliminate the adjustment, but as cor points out, the error in the amplifiers is significant at the low end of the range so some adjustability is nice.

The simple limiter board was laid out for a particular potentiometer from Mouser that has a tendency to go out of stock, so maybe I can have two sets of holes to fit more than one style of pot. I think I can also add a second set of holes for the shunt resistor to allow currents over 20A.

I'm still on the road now and don't have the files with me. When I get home I'll look at revising them for the lastest changes.
"One test is worth a thousand opinions"
fechter
100 GW
100 GW

Postby cor » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:37 pm

fechter wrote:When running multiple supplies in parallel, each one will run at its limit until the pack reaches near full charge, at which point they may not share evenly. I don't think this is a problem. Most of the time they will be in CC mode and sharing according to their individual limits. Once a supply hits CV, the pack is essentially done charging.

I understand and the uneven current sharing is not my concern, although this setup requires that every paralleled supply must have its finishing voltage as well as current limit set properly. What I mean is that if any of the paralleled supplies has their supply voltage set too high then you don't notice it during the time that this supply is in current limit, until the moment that all other supplies stop delivering current, then the voltage will rise until the level set at this supply. For lead-acid batteries this is an easy trick to give them a controlled over-charge for balancing purpose (I have actually used this setup in the past) but for Lithium this can spell disaster. When all supplies are forced to share then they will stay at the voltage set for the lowest supply.
Another issue is the turn-off (float) point. If two independent supplies are set for approximately the same voltage then usually one will fall below the threshold while the other is still pumping max Amps and so the first supply will turn off (go to float) and the second will continue charging until that one falls below its threshold and also switch to float, so each supply should be set to the current at which you want the charge to terminate, for example 1A. However, at times it can be that the voltages of both supplies are identical and they both continue to charge until the charge current is 2A and they both switch to float. This is a slim chance, but it can happen and if you parallel more supplies, the effects become more significant: For 4 supplies, they could stop charging at 4A, 3A, 2A or 1A depending on how equal their outputs are. With a current sharing control, this will not happen as all supplies should be regulated to the lowest configured one, with 4 supplies you set the threshold for float to 0.25A on one and they all go to float as soon as the charge current drops to 1A (4 x 0.25)

fechter wrote:Most of the issues with the 3 pot board were with the setup and testing instructions. There were also some issues with the parts fitting the holes on the board, both of which are easily corrected. It is still a bit tricky to set the cutoff current as you need some way to get the current at the cutoff point (around 100mA?) to make the adjustment. If everyone wanted the same cutoff current, I could use fixed resistors and eliminate the adjustment, but as cor points out, the error in the amplifiers is significant at the low end of the range so some adjustability is nice.

Correct, you need adjustability even if you always want to set a fixed current due to component variations, but with an option to share you actually want to select a lower float current, because it is multiplied by the number of parallel units.

fechter wrote:The simple limiter board was laid out for a particular potentiometer from Mouser that has a tendency to go out of stock, so maybe I can have two sets of holes to fit more than one style of pot. I think I can also add a second set of holes for the shunt resistor to allow currents over 20A.

In the schematic you say that the shunt is 5W (I do not know which temperature it will reach at this power level) while I am guessing it can take only 2W because 20A times 0.005 Ohms is 100mV, times 20A is 2W.
I hear you on the component placement/ holes stuffing. It would be good to be able to use different style pots.

fechter wrote:I'm still on the road now and don't have the files with me. When I get home I'll look at revising them for the lastest changes.

I will first try a current sharing schematic that I found in a paper, after I designed my own. In essence it will add two opamps plus some passives, so it should work with a single quad opamp or two dual. I have a couple reels of opamps, so I will try to use those in my experiments. Feel free to go ahead with your boards, I think it will take some time to work out the kinks in current sharing setup. As I said, I have a couple S-240-48 that are perfect to test the current sharing while charging my pack.
cor
100 W
100 W

Postby fechter » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:02 am

The current sharing circuit would be useful for the 3 pot setup with float, but for the simple limiter I think it will work fine without it. Each supply would be adjusted for the same CV setting and at end of charge, one supply would tend to take all the load for a short period of time.

Most people are running multiple supplies in series. If you wanted more current, just use lower voltage supplies that supply more current and put them in series to get the desired voltage. In most cases only one of the series supplies needs the limiter circuit.
fechter
100 GW
100 GW

Postby NeilP » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:00 am

Yes, although it was my original suggestion, I do tend to agree that maybe it is work that is not a good use of time.

A few months ago, I would have said different, but now with the appearance of these Alloy shell chargers from E-city/BMS battery, building a high power charger from multiple Meanwells is not as cost effective.

When I originally built my 100volt twin S-350-48 supply. I had ideally wanted a 20 amp supply at 100volts, so that was going to be 6 x S-350-48's
in three parallel strings.
I have just ordered a 2kW Alloy Shell charger from BMS for around $350 dollars delivered to me in UK from China..plug and play..no competition.

buying 6 Meanwells, combined with the hassle of building the system up .. would have made it not worthwhile.
Suppose if someone laready had a stack of Meanwells/ PC server supplies etc going cheap and free it would be a useful idea, but probably a bit limited now, you are right Richard
Mongoose MTB, Fox forks,26x2.3 tyres, 180mm disks. 20s 20Ah LiPo, Lyen 18 FET,5304 in 26 inch EX721. 9k miles 2years

:) Only Irish coffee provides in a glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar, and fat :)

“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law', because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.”
NeilP
10 GW
10 GW

Postby cor » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:14 am

Richard, correct, if the minimal charging voltage of an empty pack is still higher than the lowest voltage that the current limited supply will put out (plus the voltages from the series connected fixed supplies) then only that one supply needs a current limiter.
I used this configuration when I had a bunch of 48V supplies and a Sorensen DCR60 voltage and current regulated supply. I knew my battery pack was never going to drop below 300V and I want to charge up to about 369V, which was 14.2V per (lead acid) battery, so I set my Sorensen to 10A and the highest I could tweak it to which was almost 69V and added a diode to its output so that I could put it on a timer to come on at midnight and shut off by 7AM and have my truck ready for the next day commute and errands (and charge at the low rate night electricity). The 48V supplies together delivered a constant voltage and were pretty low consumption as they were HF switching supplies, unlike the Sorensen which is just a Triac control at line frequency. But the combination of fixed power supplies and one regulated and limited supply worked very well - if you know what you are doing.
cor
100 W
100 W

Postby wineboyrider » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:18 pm

NeilP wrote:Yes, although it was my original suggestion, I do tend to agree that maybe it is work that is not a good use of time.

A few months ago, I would have said different, but now with the appearance of these Alloy shell chargers from E-city/BMS battery, building a high power charger from multiple Meanwells is not as cost effective.

When I originally built my 100volt twin S-350-48 supply. I had ideally wanted a 20 amp supply at 100volts, so that was going to be 6 x S-350-48's
in three parallel strings.
I have just ordered a 2kW Alloy Shell charger from BMS for around $350 dollars delivered to me in UK from China..plug and play..no competition.

buying 6 Meanwells, combined with the hassle of building the system up .. would have made it not worthwhile.
Suppose if someone laready had a stack of Meanwells/ PC server supplies etc going cheap and free it would be a useful idea, but probably a bit limited now, you are right Richard

Are you still using and plan on using the pc power supplies as chargers? Because, I have a few pc power supplies I'd like to set up for charging my kids lipo powered scooter and my lipo packs? Just want to know of any trouble with the pc power supply idea if any?? :?: :?:
ES IS SAVED! THANK YOU JUSTIN.
wineboyrider
10 MW
10 MW

Postby fechter » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:30 pm

I agree that trying to make a 2kW charger from a bunch of Meanwells is not the most elegant solution, especially if there is an off the shelf solution that is not more expensive.

For me, a measley 350W is fine and I'm cheap, so the Meanwell makes sense.

I also have one of those 600W HP server power supplies (12v, 47A) I was using with an iCharger. I might see if the limiter board is compatible with one of those. I suspect it will be, other than the current rating of the shunts. That's a great supply for running Lipo chargers BTW. Just needs a minor mod to make it run independently.
fechter
100 GW
100 GW

Postby NeilP » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:21 am

wineboyrider wrote:[
Are you still using and plan on using the pc power supplies as chargers? Because, I have a few pc power supplies I'd like to set up for charging my kids lipo powered scooter and my lipo packs? Just want to know of any trouble with the pc power supply idea if any?? :?: :?:

Yes I do still use PC supplies regularly to charge random packs in the workshop..All still very dodgy.
I have a string of 8 I think..all with bare wires ends, sitting on a piece of rubber underlay from some flooring system, ALl the output wires are bare, so i have 12v, 3 volt and 5 volt otputs I try and use all the 5 volt outputs, as they tend to have the highest current output, but if I am charging a 100volt pack, i need two or three of them running on the 12 volt output, to make up the voltage. The past one in series is a Meanwell 12 v S-350, with SVR2 current mod and 5 k pot voltage mod. This allow fine tuning of the voltage to exactly what I need for the pack, once I have roughly adjusted the voltage with as many of the supplies as I need. I use a standalone Cycl analyst to measuere current. One day I may fit plugs to the outputs of the supplies :). Even the green to black connection required to fire the supplies up, is done by twisting the bared ends to the nearest bare end of black wire

Fetcher, yes, apart from the above experimental 25 amp charge string..all my charging is either doen with a single s-350-48 for the gf's bike or a pair in series for my bike. The alloy shell charger is for the new build. 34 or 35 series with 5405 in 17 inch with 24 FET 4115 :D Just ordered batteries yesterday. I did not order a complete pack, but just enough extras to make my current 20s Nano tech pack up to 34 S, plus few spares. Wold liek to have ordered a full 35s4p set of Nano techs, but the budget is overstretched as it is. OK did not need nano tech..but since that is what I already have, it means repairability of packs and in future and interchangeability etc

NeilP
10 GW
10 GW

Postby fechter » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:13 am

OK, I'm back from vacation now, so I can take a look at updating the board layouts. Hopefully I can get this done in a couple of days.
fechter
100 GW
100 GW

Postby wineboyrider » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:48 am

So if I had two 15amp :D :D :D PC psu in series at the 12v connector that should give me a 25v lipo charger capable of 15 amps....! :D :D :D
wineboyrider
10 MW
10 MW

Postby cor » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:59 pm

wineboyrider wrote:So if I had two 15amp :D :D :D PC psu in series at the 12v connector that should give me a 25v lipo charger capable of 15 amps....! :D :D :D

Correct. Make sure that the ground (case) of the supplies are not connected, it may be that the negative output is connected to the case, I am not sure but good to look out for (measure with a multimeter) as it is easi to bolt both to a metal frame, then if you connect the first +12V output to the next negative output, you may short out the first supply...
(That is why Neil has all supplies on an insulating mat)
NOTE that this gives you a fixed 24V supply, not a battery charger unless you add current limit! PC supplies normally do not have a good current limit from itself...
cor
100 W
100 W

Postby NeilP » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:15 pm

wineboyrider wrote:So if I had two 15amp :D :D :D PC psu in series at the 12v connector that should give me a 25v lipo charger capable of 15 amps....! :D :D :D

Almost Cor..the insulating mat is to stop all the bare wires from shorting out on the metal bench.

My supplies have all been hacked inside..traces cut on the PCB's to isolate the negative line from the chassis. All out mains plugs here are earthed, which would put the negative line on the output side common to all supplies via the chassis and earth.

So yes, a pair of PC supplies would give you about 15 amps...jsut depends on the output the 12v line would put out. if you can get more, go for 5 of them on the 5 volt line

Either search my posts for PC supply type threads, or google for PC PSU mods..not a lot to it

cor wrote:, it may be that the negative output is connected to the case, I am not sure but good to look out for (measure with a multimeter) as it is easi to bolt both to a metal frame, then if you connect the first +12V output to the next negative output, you may short out the first supply...

Yes, at least in UK, the negative black output line is common to the case.

cor wrote:NOTE that this gives you a fixed 24V supply, not a battery charger unless you add current limit! PC supplies normally do not have a good current limit from itself...

You can sometimes getaway with not having a current limiting source. I have had limited success doing it ..but often you end up chasing the supplies along the line..as you power one up, another drops out...I have a huge stack of dead PC PSU..30 or more..and have probably zapped a good few..10 or so at least.

That is why my current setup includes a current limited meanwell...current limiting as well as fine voltage adjustment

Will try and find the correct threads in a moment

NeilP
10 GW
10 GW

Postby NeilP » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:23 pm

here are a few threads to get you going...have had a quick look,, only one has a bit of info on which wire does what and how to start them up...green to black

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=25298

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=28632

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=28891

What you also need to do is open up each one, remove the pcb from the case, then cut and remove any trace that is connecting any electrical part of the board to the mounting posts.

Follow each trace and see if you are isolating any parts by cutting the traces. if so then solder jumper wires across the breaks you have made..keeping the mounting post corners free of connection to the negative line

NeilP
10 GW
10 GW

Postby cor » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:02 am

NeilP wrote:Almost Cor..the insulating mat is to stop all the bare wires from shorting out on the metal bench.

Ah, you already took care of the cases=ground. Good.
NeilP wrote:So yes, a pair of PC supplies would give you about 15 amps...jsut depends on the output the 12v line would put out. if you can get more, go for 5 of them on the 5 volt line

That would likely give you 25V, 30A or something like that.
NeilP wrote:You can sometimes getaway with not having a current limiting source. I have had limited success doing it ..but often you end up chasing the supplies along the line..as you power one up, another drops out...I have a huge stack of dead PC PSU..30 or more..and have probably zapped a good few..10 or so at least.

Yes, PC supplies are not so well regulated, so the voltage varies quite a bit with load - this "soft" behavior helps in cases of overload as in battery charging.
However, the simplest way to use PC supplies (or other fixed power supply) and charge a pack with them is to set the supplies to the maximum charge voltage by tuning the output voltage if possible or by combining different voltages - for PC supplies you can choose from 12V, 5V and 3.3V and with multiple supplies you can make a lot of combinations, for example to charge a 4s LiPoly pack (up to 17V max if it is well balanced and each cell goes to 4.25V) you can add the 12V from one supply to the 5V from another supply (usually you cannot combine the voltages from the *same* supply as they are tied together at the negative side) or use 3 supplies for more current: place 2 12V supplies in parallel to double their current and add the 5V from the third supply.
Note that if you can't get the right voltage then you can create a voltage a little higher and add heavy duty low voltage diodes in series to drop the voltage by about 0.8V for each (silicium) diode.
Note also that the 12V supplies might not be the exact same voltage and so they might not share the current evenly.
Also, to charge a pack that is quite empty and has a low internal resistance, the voltage of the charger will need to drop. Power supplies do not like this, they try to deliver all they have, overheat and die.
One simple way to solve this if the voltage difference between your pack and power supplies is no more than 15V is to place a few car headlights between the supply and the battery. Incandescent bulbs are pretty good current limiters and a typical 55W headlight will give you a current between 4 and 5A over a wide range of voltages, probably from lower than 8V to above 15V. So, to limit a PC supply setup to a max of 15A you wire 3 headlights in parallel between the string of supplies and the pack. No more blown supplies and the headlights give a visual indication of the charging progress: first bright, then slowly extinguishing while the pack comes up in voltage (charge). When the current drops below 1 or 1/2A then the charging is done.
If you can scrounge a couple headlights from a junkyard (or from your garage) then you only need to wire them in and off you go. No modern electronics required ;-)
Last edited by cor on Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
cor
100 W
100 W

Postby fechter » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:09 am

BTW, the mini limiter board should work with most PC power supplies as they are very similar to the Meanwells. The hard part will be finding the OVP pin equivalent spot to tie in the feedback line. There seems to be a million different varieties of PC supply, but they are all similar.
fechter
100 GW
100 GW

Postby wineboyrider » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:04 am

I have been charging my 6s scooter with my ping chargers, which are set to 45 volts. Is this a problem? I know I can't overcharge the lipo batteries, but I am monitoring the cell charge level with a cell log.
8) 8) 8)
I think I'll just use the power supplies I have as a power supply for my hyperion.....
wineboyrider
10 MW
10 MW

Postby Ykick » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:10 am

wineboyrider wrote:I have been charging my 6s scooter with my ping chargers, which are set to 45 volts. Is this a problem? I know I can't overcharge the lipo batteries, but I am monitoring the cell charge level with a cell log.
8) 8) 8)
I think I'll just use the power supplies I have as a power supply for my hyperion.....

I hope you mean 2qty 6S in series for 12S? Other wise you'd be charging each cell to 7.5V.

If 12S, you're only getting to 3.75V/cell so that's not gonna be much of a charge. I try to do my 12S around 49-50V.

Perhaps I missed something you're not talking RC Lipo?
Internet Image experts...
Ykick
1.21 GW
1.21 GW

Postby wineboyrider » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:25 am

Ykick wrote:
wineboyrider wrote:I have been charging my 6s scooter with my ping chargers, which are set to 45 volts. Is this a problem? I know I can't overcharge the lipo batteries, but I am monitoring the cell charge level with a cell log.
8) 8) 8)

I hope you mean 2qty 6S in series for 12S? Other wise you'd be charging each cell to 7.5V.

If 12S, you're only getting to 3.75V/cell so that's not gonna be much of a charge. I try to do my 12S around 49-50V.

What I have done a couple of times is charge my 6s lipo with my 36v lifepo4 charger while watching the cells on my cell log monitor. I'm still alive and I know the voltage is higher than the lipo so I need to monitor them closely, but what I really want to know is if there is a problem with it other than over charging my lipos which could be easy to do with a higher voltage charger. I have a turnigy watt meter in line with it to monitor the wh, watts, amps etc...?
wineboyrider
10 MW
10 MW

Postby Ykick » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:34 am

wineboyrider wrote:
Ykick wrote:
8) 8) 8)

What I have done a couple of times is charge my 6s lipo with my 36v lifepo4 charger while watching the cells on my cell log monitor. I'm still alive and I know the voltage is higher than the lipo so I need to monitor them closely, but what I really want to know is if there is a problem with it other than over charging my lipos which could be easy to do with a higher voltage charger. I have a turnigy watt meter in line with it to monitor the wh, watts, amps etc...?

As long as you don't forget or pass out from too much Wine, that does work. But if you forget, holy smokes! Did you ever rig up an off timer for AC power? That could be a last line of defense but using this setup as described is risking Lipo over voltage, IMO.
Internet Image experts...
Ykick
1.21 GW
1.21 GW

Postby wineboyrider » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:57 am

I remember seeing your post on this. I bought 2 ezip scooters for $150.0 on cl and I want to keep one pretty much stock on 6s lipo for the kids to ride. I know the lipos can charge easily 1c and since I have my ebikes running on 36v lifepo4 and 12s and 10s lipo mostly is buy a 600w charger for opportunity charging when I'm traveling. The 600w charger I could also use when we go to the park and ride the scoots so we can get some extra rides out of them. There is an electrical outlet at the park where we ride that I know is live so I'm hoping to kill 2 birds with one stone. I also plan on buying a regular 2 amp charger from BMSbattery.com set to 24.5v so I can keep the 24v scoot ready to go when the kids get out of school....?
wineboyrider
10 MW
10 MW

PreviousNext

Return to Items for Sale - New