Advanced ADAPTTO controllers and compatible products

Place for dealers to post items for sale.
macribs
1 GW
1 GW

Re: Advanced ADAPTTO controllers and compatible products

Post by macribs » Nov 14, 2017 9:08 am

Well variant asian countries have long history of coping anything good and decent from the rest of the world. When Qulbix got well known in the industry suddenly there where china clones. But we have yet to see adaptto clone from china, and I can't stop wondering why that is? I mean the numbers sold of controllers must be rather high, as adaptto got a huge domestic market as well as the ES crowd.
And still there ain't no clone? Is that the new stamp of approval maybe, if your cloned you are hot, if not you're twat? ;)

Rix
100 GW
100 GW

Post by Rix » Nov 14, 2017 11:26 am

if your cloned you are hot, if not you're twat? ;)
I'm laughing my ass off!. But yah, maybe thats a good sign when Asian industry copies something, thats an indicator its a great product. Eitherway, I loved my MAXE, I hope the Midi E will be available for when I start my next build.

madin88
10 MW
10 MW

Post by madin88 » Nov 14, 2017 4:14 pm

macribs wrote:But we have yet to see adaptto clone from china, and I can't stop wondering why that is?
the average 18F ebike controller from china costs already as much as the bare 18 pcs mosfets of an adaptto Max-E alone.

Such compact and powerful FOC controllers cannot be copied cheap and easy, and from what i know chinese manufacturers have not much of interest in building top-noth products.

macribs
1 GW
1 GW

Post by macribs » Nov 14, 2017 6:38 pm

All joke aside, I am looking forward to see what adaptto will come up with. Maybe double up on fets? Or maybe they will put their efforts into automatic smart circuitry that will power down before something get fcuked? The adaptto had so much going for them a few years back, it was sad to see how they stopped thinking and moving forward. Even their own suggestion thread got ignored after a while.
If they had to put so much resources into controller repair, swapping burned parts etc maybe controller should come with a really basic and to the point video presentation of the features, how to set it up correctly and what mistakes to avoid like the plague?

From a few decades in IT I know documenting code, writing manual etc are hardly never a priority. Because who like that kind boring work? But maybe it could be a starting point for their new controller. To really put enough effort into explaining customers what is ok and what is dead on wrong to do to the controller.

Then again, then human brain and the human personality never stops to amaze. I know for sure I have spend too much money down to being lazy, not doing enough research or simply buying wrong parts. And to top it up I also tried to push too hard so I had melt downs. I guess most of this would have been done no matter what kind of video was included in the box.

dirttorpedo
1 mW
1 mW

Post by dirttorpedo » Nov 30, 2017 9:58 am

Allex wrote:
Oct 03, 2017 7:36 am
Rix wrote: I never had a problem with my Max E either.
I would say that out of 100 controllers sold:
3-5 gets back in return due to unknown reasons, could be user error or manufacturing error that eventually caused a controller failure.
20 gets back due to user error

Flooded device: user error
r113 failure and other: user error
Burned FETs and other: user error

I get a lot of mails where folks do it all wrong, from connecting the halls plug backwards and mixing up the polarity of the battery to screw up the BMS connection and connecting BMS board to the display plug. Poor soldering job, poor isolations of leads, yadda, yadda...Then crying that they want the money back due to a bad product.
Sorry Allex but there is no way to verify this because there is no communication or accountability on Adaptto's end.

I bought a Mini back in June that would not power on. I was told about the power switch (I already knew because of the forum but Adaptto really should put it in the instructions). I was told to check wiring and then send it back ($80). For 2 months nobody knew what was going on. Envolt (is this you?) answered emails but directed me to Adaptto. They never answered until I got the bill ($140). When I asked about the warranty they said I had opened the controller and gotten water damage. I asked for a picture of the controller and said that was impossible since the controller was never installed on a bike. They changed their story to r113 failure and asked what throttle I was using. I said I had not purchased one yet, all I did was connect the controller to the display and to a battery, and it did not work. They said they wanted to help, but they were a small operation and they would not cover the repair.They said that the damage was consistent with running high voltage through the throttle wires, but those wires were never even connected to the controller when I had the batteries hooked up.

I got the controller back in August and it has been performing well ever since. I'm very happy with it. I wasn't going to complain but then I read this. There is no way you or anyone else can give us reliable numbers on user error rates. I'm sure they're pretty high but if you can't get info on a single returned unit there is no way you can speak for all of them. And based on my experience and your list of common errors it seems like Adaptto just goes down the list until something sticks. Again, I am really happy with the Mini. Efficiency, heat management, and power are amazing. But I absolutely would not buy another.
The Commuter: 2006 GT Kustom Kruiser- 16s LiFePo4 (25ah), generic Chinese motor, Grin 48v 35A
The Trail Bike: 1999 GT XCR-3000- 20s Calibike li-ion (15ah), H3540, Grin 72v 40A

Rix
100 GW
100 GW

Post by Rix » Nov 30, 2017 10:39 am

3-5 gets back in return due to unknown reasons, could be user error or manufacturing error that eventually caused a controller failure.
After reading your comment Dirt, sounds like you fall in the 3-5% due to unknown reasons.

dirttorpedo
1 mW
1 mW

Post by dirttorpedo » Nov 30, 2017 11:34 am

I actually agree with that Rix. The problem I have with that is Adaptto treated it like a user error and billed it like a user error. Also, the percentages of user vs unknown listed here can't possibly be right based on the fact that Adaptto doesn't communicate the status of repaired controllers to it's vendors. And even if they did, from my end it looks like they don't exactly take responsibility for all of the unknown errors.

Again, I didn't plan on making a fuss. I've been running the mini for months now without issue. I just think the post was a bit misleading.
The Commuter: 2006 GT Kustom Kruiser- 16s LiFePo4 (25ah), generic Chinese motor, Grin 48v 35A
The Trail Bike: 1999 GT XCR-3000- 20s Calibike li-ion (15ah), H3540, Grin 72v 40A

brumbrum
10 kW
10 kW

Post by brumbrum » Nov 30, 2017 3:31 pm

My maxe went back twice during the warranty period.
First time after it went up in a puff of smoke on install. Adaptto honoured warranty and actually told me there was a loose wire inside that caused a short.
Second time after almost a year of use it just went dead while charging (charging procedure the same as i had always done). This time even thoughstill in warranty i got charged $40, half of that was to reinstall the usb connector(which i had actually removed myself on purpose and sidnt want replacing) and the other half was for a part that was not disclosed :?

Fair enough, they did pay return postage both times from russia to UK , but both times it cost me around $80 to send it there. And both times it was definitely not my fault that the controller failed. And the two occasions were withinn the first 12 months.
Its an amazing piece of kit when it works, and i would buy it again once more R&D has been done to hopefully iron out the failures of the first incarnations let loose on the public.

csc
10 W
10 W

Post by csc » Dec 02, 2017 6:43 am

Guys I absolutely need an adaptto screen !!! Please send me a pm if you can help. I'm in France, Europe.