MXUS 3K Turbo (V3) 45mm Direct Drive Hub Motor

Place for dealers to post items for sale.
teslanv
1 GW
1 GW

MXUS 3K Turbo (V3) 45mm Direct Drive Hub Motor

Post by teslanv » Feb 06, 2016 2:29 pm

We spoke, and MXUS listened.

A big thanks to Doctorbass, for talking some sense into the folks at MXUS at Interbike last year, and convincing them to step up their game with respect to phase wire size and hall sensor reliability.

This is the Official "V3" version of the popular MXUS 45mm Direct Drive Hub motor.

The Sample motor I received is pictured below, along with a couple shots with the V2 for comparisons.

MXUS developed a new axle that allows for the new 4.0mm2 phase wires, and a double set of hall & temp sensor wires.
Phase resistance dropped from ~0.110 Ohms on the V2 to 0.103 Ohms on the new V3 design.

The wire side of the axle is 20mm diameter, and the opposite side is the familiar 17mm axle diameter. This means that the motor had two bearing ID's (20mm and 17mm) for each side of the axle.

MXUS also developed a new Cover plate for this new axle size, and have labeled it "3K-Turbo"

Other than the spare set of hall and KTY83/110 temp sensor, the Stator looks unchanged from the V2 design.

Cost: ~$380 including shipping to continental USA
Nominal Wattage: 3,000W
Peak Wattage: 6,000w
Voltage: 48V-96V
Torque Constant (Kt): 3T = 0.8Nm/A, 4T = 1.07Nm/A, 5T = 1.34Nm/A, 6T = 1.59Nm/A
Lamination size: 0.35mm
Turn count (T): 3T-6T
RPM per volt: 3T = 11.9 Kv, 4T = 8.9 Kv, 5T = 7.15 Kv, 6T = 6.0 Kv
Stator/Magnets: 45mm
Max Efficiency: 90% Peak
Weight: 20.6lbs
Dropout spacing: 142mm (Standard) or 170mm (Fat Bike Version), or custom is possible.

We plan on only stocking the 3T and 4T windings in this variant, since the 5T and 6T variants will not benefit as much from larger phase wires.

For those of you building high-speed road bikes, we think the new V3 MXUS will be a nice improvement for your power-hungry applications.
Last edited by teslanv on Feb 21, 2016 3:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.
I build custom ebikes.
http://www.westcoastelectrics.com
West Coast Electric Cycles
Bellevue, WA
USA

madin88
10 MW
10 MW

Re: MXUS 3K Turbo (V3) 45mm Direct Drive Hub Motor

Post by madin88 » Feb 06, 2016 3:17 pm

thanks for the pics and details. i like the dual hall sensors and the new sidecover with the larger bearing, but i wonder why they didn't spent the V3 a stronger axle with M16 thread. It would be absolutely no problem as the smallest bearing has 17mm ID.
further it looks like mxus still don't get it how the middle hall sensor needs to be installed (one is twisted). a hall that is not installed correct will worsen eff and performance and it makes it impossible to fine-tune a modern sine wave controller.
i know thats mostly criticism from my side, but i also stayed in contact with MXUS about V3 and making mention many times of the quality issues, and than it's the same thing on the V3 -> the motor needs to be disassembled and cheched before installation.

btw: are the sidecovers sealed up effective?
whats the dropout width?
- Votec V-FR frame / MXUS 3T / 17" Mitas MC11 / Adaptto Max-E / 20s12p 25R -> approved as L1e moped and fully road legal in EU :)
- Vector white / MXUS 4T / 24" Hookworms / Adaptto Max-E / 22s11p 25R
- KTM Hardtail Pedelec / eZee V2 6T / 27,5" / Kelly KBSX @ 1,5kW / Torque PAS / CA-V3 / 13s4p Sanyo GA in Shark case

rich43
10 W
10 W

Post by rich43 » Feb 06, 2016 3:36 pm

What is the price of this motor? Can I get one shipped to the UK?

Miles
100 GW
100 GW

Post by Miles » Feb 06, 2016 3:44 pm

rich43 wrote:What is the price of this motor? Can I get one shipped to the UK?
This isn't a sales thread....

teslanv
1 GW
1 GW

Post by teslanv » Feb 06, 2016 4:20 pm

madin88 wrote:thanks for the pics and details. i like the dual hall sensors and the new sidecover with the larger bearing, but i wonder why they didn't spent the V3 a stronger axle with M16 thread. It would be absolutely no problem as the smallest bearing has 17mm ID.
further it looks like mxus still don't get it how the middle hall sensor needs to be installed (one is twisted). a hall that is not installed correct will worsen eff and performance and it makes it impossible to fine-tune a modern sine wave controller.
i know thats mostly criticism from my side, but i also stayed in contact with MXUS about V3 and making mention many times of the quality issues, and than it's the same thing on the V3 -> the motor needs to be disassembled and cheched before installation.
All the more reason to purchase from a trusted vendor that will stand behind their products and repair or replace parts when the need arises.
I build custom ebikes.
Bellevue, WA
USA

cwah
10 GW
10 GW

Post by cwah » Feb 06, 2016 4:25 pm

No thinner laminations or larger stator?
Help me find my stolen electric brompton: http://bit.ly/1a0vbBC and Bosch Sinus B3 http://bit.ly/1eV0WQz

teslanv
1 GW
1 GW

Post by teslanv » Feb 06, 2016 4:36 pm

cwah wrote:No thinner laminations or larger stator?
Same contruction as the V2 stator, which already has 0.35mm lams.

And the covers have the same level of sealing, which isn't very much. I actually prefer this, as it makes the covers fairly easy to remove if you wish to service or modify the stator. When I build a motor that will see wet conditions I will paint the Stator with insulating varnish and drill weep holes for water to escape. Its impossible to keep moisture out of a hub motor. Best to protect the stator and give the water a path out.
I build custom ebikes.
Bellevue, WA
USA

mrass
10 mW
10 mW

Post by mrass » Feb 06, 2016 4:51 pm

Thank for sharing, seems like you and mr. mxus have a very well calibrated calliper.. :mrgreen:

mrass
10 mW
10 mW

Post by mrass » Feb 06, 2016 5:58 pm

teslanv wrote:
cwah wrote:No thinner laminations or larger stator?
Same contruction as the V2 stator, which already has 0.35mm lams.

And the covers have the same level of sealing, which isn't very much. I actually prefer this, as it makes the covers fairly easy to remove if you wish to service or modify the stator. When I build a motor that will see wet conditions I will paint the Stator with insulating varnish and drill weep holes for water to escape. Its impossible to keep moisture out of a hub motor. Best to protect the stator and give the water a path out.
Good point, insulating varnish couldn't hurt but does it really do anything good for the stator?
For the very low current hall sensor signals one drop of water is one to many, but for the (already insulated) stator windings it really
shouldn't care if a drop of water gets in a heat shrink sleeve?
One side affect of water getting into a hub motor I've experienced this winter as the tiny amount of water froze up, in the tiny air gap,
locking the entire wheel, took 10 hours in the kitchen to make it able to turn again.

cwah
10 GW
10 GW

Post by cwah » Feb 06, 2016 6:11 pm

How does it work if I want to get it in the uk? Do I still have to go through aliexpress because of shipping cost? No point to ship it to the us then uk
Help me find my stolen electric brompton: http://bit.ly/1a0vbBC and Bosch Sinus B3 http://bit.ly/1eV0WQz

John in CR
100 GW
100 GW

Post by John in CR » Feb 06, 2016 8:58 pm

mrass wrote:Thank for sharing, seems like you and mr. mxus have a very well calibrated calliper.. :mrgreen:
...and both managed to make the same incorrect measurement. It's absurd to set your caliper to 45.0mm and then cant it at angle for the pic in an effort to make it look like you took a real measurement. Do their stators also have plastic end plates (the yellow) protecting the face of the steel lams on both ends, making the fudged measurements even worse? If so, might as well include the protruding end wind copper in the stator width measurement too.

teslanv
1 GW
1 GW

Post by teslanv » Feb 06, 2016 9:24 pm

John in CR wrote:
mrass wrote:Thank for sharing, seems like you and mr. mxus have a very well calibrated calliper.. :mrgreen:
...and both managed to make the same incorrect measurement. It's absurd to set your caliper to 45.0mm and then cant it at angle for the pic in an effort to make it look like you took a real measurement. Do their stators also have plastic end plates (the yellow) protecting the face of the steel lams on both ends, making the fudged measurements even worse? If so, might as well include the protruding end wind copper in the stator width measurement too.
I chipped off the plastic on the outside of the laminations, even. That measurement is net steel lamination.
Stator Width.jpg
Stator Width.jpg (194.95 KiB) Viewed 12296 times
I build custom ebikes.
Bellevue, WA
USA

madin88
10 MW
10 MW

Post by madin88 » Feb 07, 2016 4:21 am

teslanv wrote: All the more reason to purchase from a trusted vendor that will stand behind their products and repair or replace parts when the need arises.
nicely said and straight to the point. i wish there would be more sellers like you. thumbs up!
I don't think that it is impossible to keep moisture out of the motor - quite the opposite, it's very easy i would say.
As the bearings have protection against water splashes with additional shaft seals beside them, the only thing you need to do is applying properly adhesive sealing compound to the sidecovers. I have done this on my Cromotor and washed that bike many times with the garden house. Than someday i opened it because i swapped the 10k thermistor for kty81 type and the stator was nice and shiny. There was only a bit of rust at the bearing seats on the axle, but i believe this could be avoided if we apply rust protection oil or loctite (the screw lock fluid) at this area.

Doing so is much less effort and inexpensive compared to painting the stator (and magents?), and you don't have water coming in touch with the halls.
And even with a painted stator, almost certainly water still will creep somewhere into it causing corrosion between the lams and teeth where the insulation varnish could not reach the steel.
- Votec V-FR frame / MXUS 3T / 17" Mitas MC11 / Adaptto Max-E / 20s12p 25R -> approved as L1e moped and fully road legal in EU :)
- KTM Hardtail Pedelec / eZee V2 6T / 27,5" / Kelly KBSX @ 1,5kW / Torque PAS / CA-V3 / 13s4p Sanyo GA in Shark case

teslanv
1 GW
1 GW

Post by teslanv » Feb 07, 2016 10:03 am

We live in the northwest, where the seasons are marked by when it stops raining.
Justin with Grin Tech is only a couple hours north of us in Vancouver BC where they get about as much rain as we do. He explains the process of how water will find its way into a sealed motor in this in-depth video.
Skip ahead to 23:25 if you want just the main points of water intrusion.

I build custom ebikes.
Bellevue, WA
USA

John in CR
100 GW
100 GW

Post by John in CR » Feb 08, 2016 5:39 am

Much better. When you took the other picture the caliper must have slipped into the slot, because it's definitely at an angle. I apologize for accusing you of fudging on the measurement.
teslanv wrote:
John in CR wrote:
I chipped off the plastic on the outside of the laminations, even. That measurement is net steel lamination.
Stator Width.jpg

teslanv
1 GW
1 GW

Post by teslanv » Feb 18, 2016 10:14 am

So MXUS will be making a special axle just for us. M16x1.5 threads. :)
I build custom ebikes.
Bellevue, WA
USA

spinningmagnets
100 GW
100 GW

Post by spinningmagnets » Feb 18, 2016 11:19 am

MXUS keeps innovating, instead of telling north American customers that "you don't need that". Sometimes customers ask for things that don't make sense (decaf coffee, 2WD Jeep, etc), so...it's nice that companies like Kinaye are asking the right questions...

madin88
10 MW
10 MW

Post by madin88 » Feb 18, 2016 1:17 pm

teslanv wrote:So MXUS will be making a special axle just for us. M16x1.5 threads. :)
whos suggestion was it? :P
cool improvement^^

teslanv
1 GW
1 GW

Post by teslanv » Feb 18, 2016 10:28 pm

madin88 wrote:
teslanv wrote:So MXUS will be making a special axle just for us. M16x1.5 threads. :)
whos suggestion was it? :P
cool improvement^^
I'll happily give you credit. 8)
I build custom ebikes.
Bellevue, WA
USA

maydaverave
10 kW
10 kW

Post by maydaverave » Feb 19, 2016 4:51 pm

Do they sell a motorcycle version of this motor? Or do any dealers sell their motorcycle or scooter hubmotors?
e-bikekit 50v 9.2ah cellman pack

teslanv
1 GW
1 GW

Post by teslanv » Feb 19, 2016 5:13 pm

maydaverave wrote:Do they sell a motorcycle version of this motor? Or do any dealers sell their motorcycle or scooter hubmotors?
This motor only comes with an ebike style axle. It can be laced into a motorcycle rim easy enough if that's all you need, though.
I build custom ebikes.
Bellevue, WA
USA

maydaverave
10 kW
10 kW

Post by maydaverave » Feb 19, 2016 5:24 pm

teslanv wrote:
maydaverave wrote:Do they sell a motorcycle version of this motor? Or do any dealers sell their motorcycle or scooter hubmotors?
This motor only comes with an ebike style axle. It can be laced into a motorcycle rim easy enough if that's all you need, though.
I don't think the axle would be long enough. I have about 180mm spacing. Thats a rough estimate I would have to remove rear wheel to get an accurate measurement.
e-bikekit 50v 9.2ah cellman pack

teslanv
1 GW
1 GW

Post by teslanv » Feb 19, 2016 11:00 pm

maydaverave wrote: I don't think the axle would be long enough. I have about 180mm spacing. Thats a rough estimate I would have to remove rear wheel to get an accurate measurement.
There is a "Fat Bike" version (V2 Stator) with a 170mm axle flat (240mm long overall.)
I build custom ebikes.
Bellevue, WA
USA

Doctorbass
100 GW
100 GW

Post by Doctorbass » Feb 22, 2016 12:00 am

I apprecaited alot to be able to talk to the guys from MXUS at interbike last year at Las Vegas while i was there for representing Adaptto and help my friends From NYX.

At the end of the show the guys from MXUS came and insisted to ask me what i would suggest to improove their motor :wink: .. yes!..... after they saw my 2WD bike demo with two of their motor on it 8)

I feel now very happy that they at least followed few of my advices :) That comtriute to offer better products for the community :D

Doc
CURRENT PROJECT: 2WD duo MXUS/Max-E ebike 32kW
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... =3&t=65764
-Fastest speed record 117 km/h on flat
-Fastest 1/4 mile@ 114km/h on flat and 16.316 sec
-Succeded to haul a 19200 pounds schoolbus!
113kmh Gianthttp://www.evalbum.com/3406
Mongoosehttp://www.evalbum.com/1947
YOUTUBE---https://m.youtube.com/user/Doctorbasss
http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon
I speak FRENCH and english

teslanv
1 GW
1 GW

Post by teslanv » Feb 27, 2016 9:35 am

Another surprise from MXUS. They can now build the 3000W motors with thicker curved magnets, which should give these motors a bit more torque. When I get the next batch of motors in, I will let you know by how much that torque has increased over the old V2 magnet design.

The photo below shows their Geared hub rotor with both "Flat" and "Bent" Magnets, as an example.
Bent Magnets.JPG
Bent Magnets.JPG (213.38 KiB) Viewed 11750 times
I build custom ebikes.
Bellevue, WA
USA