Things related to the E-S Wiki
crossbreak
100 MW
100 MW

Recent changes to the eBike wiki

Post by crossbreak » Feb 12, 2013 2:08 am

Hi folks!

Thx a lot to all authors, I already enjoy our wiki :D

I know there are very few members who do write articles for the wiki ATM. Hope that changes this year :D The fact that I am the first person who posts something to this subforum after months of existence may tell you something about :roll:

Plz feel free to post anything related here, this is the space to talk about this, not the wiki itself ;) It makes sense to make a New Topic in this subforum BTW, not everything should be added to this thread. Just because it is the first one, it does not mean to be the last ;)

The most discussed topic here are eBikes, most of that discussed are controllers, motors, batteries and connectors (hope I did not mess up the order of appearance). I focused on this and did write some articles in the past three months. Guess it would help most people if we would write something about these topics, since other topics about bikes like brakes, frames, lights and such things can be discussed elsewhere. But of course some work on these topics would also be welcome.

Most things I added can be directly access from here, which makes things easy to look up: https://endless-sphere.com/w/index.php/M ... c_Bicycles
I have some things that should be added to the wiki soon, but I dont have the time, maybe someone else feels free to write something or at least adds some links to topics that discuss.

Plz write some short articles, a few sentences are all it takes as long as you made a start! Make sure the article does not yet exist yet, there were three articles about Hubmotors for instance, when I began I had to merge these three, which was hard work.

Building Sites for short articles and lots of links with short description (readers notes):

- LM2596HV powersupply for peripheral powersupply for people who use <60V on their vehicle, like most do, link to PSU ( Laptop PowerSupply etc..) topic for higher voltages would be nice also
- how to build a good torque arm for hubmotors (should be added to the Hubmotor section)
- HowTo: Lost foam technique and Fiber-reinforced composite methods for building hardcase battery/chain/belt enclosures
- ways to build and solder Lipo Battery Packs (solder connectors and stuff, pics and videos are important here!)
- same for LiFePo4
- adding Hall sensors to brushless motors (Link and short article, how are the angles calced? what are differences to be noticed between 60°, 120°,WYE and DELTA here?)
- Article about Brushless motors (Inrunner/Outrunner, LRK Winds and other, E-RPM, Lamination thickness, Eddy current loss, Prasitic Loss etc. can be found on the Sphere and just has to be linked with small explanation) wind schemes for motors and why are these beasts called BLDC at all? They work with AC, WTF... :evil:

Some topics I will add in future:

-Tutorial: Re-terminate motors from Delta to Star/WYE
- The Forumscontroller Project or: How to add an Arduino to your bike and connect your Smartphone to it. Where to find software, PCB layouts and so on...
- How to measure Motor characteristics like KV constant, phase resistance and impedance
- How to build your own sprockets and pulleys? (some links are enough here I guess, should be added to the drivesystems section)

Things I added already:
-Tidy up the motor section, add Geared Hubmotors and how they compare to Direct dirve
-Middrive section
-friction drive section
-controller current limit - how it works
-some maths: how to gear a middrive motor to human speed and some (proven) methods how one can do this
-which connectors one can use to build an eBike (XT60, XT90 and 4mm bullets)
-a bunch of motor data and measurements for geared hubs (Cute, Bafang, GM and Weifeng, I mostly did myself or stated the one who measured/calced ), GM direct drive hubs and the GNG V1 drive
-added some links to topics

Where are you people? Anything to add? Post it here and post your progress, at least with some small note so that people can see where work is needed
Last edited by crossbreak on Feb 13, 2013 12:14 am, edited 6 times in total.

spinningmagnets
100 GW
100 GW

Re: Recent changes to the eBike wiki

Post by spinningmagnets » Feb 12, 2013 2:11 am

I may be working the night shift soon for a few months (when my wife is asleep), if yes, I will help as much as I can with writing...

fizzit
10 kW
10 kW

Post by fizzit » Feb 14, 2013 1:45 am

I can post here now!
-Colin
my first ebike, a freeride mountain bike, using a turnigy 80-85, castle hv160, and turnigy lipo:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... 80#p607020

fizzit
10 kW
10 kW

Post by fizzit » Feb 15, 2013 11:36 pm

Sorry about that, I think that was me. I guess I wrote too much in the wrong place. I was unaware that these were called "non-hub-rear drives", I have just heard them referred to as "left side" drives or just as chain drives. Why is a tensioner needed for a non-suspended bike? It would seem that it would work fine to adjust the chain length or adjust the location of the drive sprocket.
-Colin
my first ebike, a freeride mountain bike, using a turnigy 80-85, castle hv160, and turnigy lipo:

crossbreak
100 MW
100 MW

Post by crossbreak » Feb 16, 2013 12:00 am

no need to be sorry, everyone make mistakes. I appreciate your work!

All chains need tensioners, since they wear and become longer this way. Very short chains dont need this, if the 2 shafts are very close (maybe till about 10inch) and if they are driven only very slow (only a few inch per second).

All bicycles have chain tensioners for example. Even single speed bike uses a dropout that can vary the distance between the bottom bracket and the rear wheel for instance. This way the chain can be adjusted if is is worn, it does not need to be changed. The 1% elongation which is always mentioned for chain wear is only necessary if you push a lot of power through it. Many single speed bicycle chains (as well as internal geared hub bikes) run fine and efficient, even if they are worn to more than 1% elongation.
fizzit wrote: It would seem that it would work fine to adjust the chain length or adjust the location of the drive sprocket.
that is a chain tensioner as well. It's just a special type. I defined it as a "other design elements, that vary center-to-center distance between sprockets"
Last edited by crossbreak on Feb 16, 2013 12:15 am, edited 4 times in total.

crossbreak
100 MW
100 MW

Post by crossbreak » Feb 16, 2013 12:09 am

fizzit wrote:I was unaware that these were called "non-hub-rear drives"
I called them that. If you have a better word, plz change that. I'm not even a native speaker :? The non-hub rear drive section wasn't linked right by me. That was my fault, I'm sorry.

Plz write something about this topic! It would be nice if you also mentioned the possibility to place both chains on the right. there is some thread about this which is up ATM: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... 28&t=13862

fizzit
10 kW
10 kW

Post by fizzit » Feb 16, 2013 10:31 pm

I would just call that a "left side drive." I think that term would yield the most search results on the forum and be familiar to most people. I will add whatever I can to the article!
-Colin

crossbreak
100 MW
100 MW

Post by crossbreak » Feb 17, 2013 1:36 am

that could be confused with the dual freewheel left-side-middrive :? Also, there are right side non-hub-rear-drives as well.

This is a hard nut.

amberwolf
100 GW
100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Post by amberwolf » Feb 17, 2013 2:24 am

crossbreak wrote:that could be confused with the dual freewheel left-side-middrive :?
Usually the dual-freewheel systems I have seen are right-side.

So there are lots of variations.... :?

fizzit
10 kW
10 kW

Post by fizzit » Feb 17, 2013 7:38 pm

Yeah, I forgot that some of them are on the right side... I would classify it as a "chain drive" or "not a mid-drive drive" :lol:
-Colin

crossbreak
100 MW
100 MW

Post by crossbreak » Feb 27, 2013 1:51 pm

our wiki content cannot be found using google :( If I search for

site:"endless-sphere.com" GNG 14T motor pulley

I do not find any wiki entry... any idea how to make the crawler read it?

amberwolf
100 GW
100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Post by amberwolf » Feb 27, 2013 10:55 pm

Have to see if Justin or MRVass can alter or remove the Robots.txt file in the root. (usually that's what stops google and other archivers)

EDIT: nevermind: it does find stuff on the wiki:
http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Ah ... %2Fw+shunt

I guess it just hasnt' crawled the wiki since the GNG stuff was added?

amberwolf
100 GW
100 GW

Post by amberwolf » Mar 29, 2013 12:08 pm

The crawler is what indexes stuff for google to find. If the crawler does not cache a site (or a page of a site) on google's servers, then a google search has nothing to find. The search does not do a live web search, AFAIK (but this might be different for a direct site search than a regular web search).

As I havent' read up on it in a while, I poked around and found this:
http://www.google.com/insidesearch/hows ... exing.html
which seems to indicate that perhaps for the wiki to be searched correctly, it might need to use robots.txt to tell google how to do it
https://developers.google.com/webmaster ... _tag?hl=en
or a sitemap
http://support.google.com/webmasters/bi ... wer=156184
but I would expect that googlebot would use the wiki's own index page as a source of links to crawl and thus index for searching.

Either way, it's obvious that some of the wiki is being crawled and indexed, and osme of it is not, but I haven't found the pattern to it yet.

crossbreak
100 MW
100 MW

Post by crossbreak » Mar 29, 2013 1:49 pm

The content i searched for is not linked on the index page, maybe that's the reason, the robot.txt would solve this? Sounds promising!

amberwolf
100 GW
100 GW

Post by amberwolf » Mar 29, 2013 2:25 pm

Is the content linked via something that *is* linked from the main page? If so, it should still find it.

Alternatively, you could ensure it is linked via at least a sub-category link on the main page. (and the same for all other articles, using bullet points under the categories already there, perhaps).

crossbreak
100 MW
100 MW

Post by crossbreak » Mar 31, 2013 10:20 am

maybe this would work... but it would be no good for the readability of the index page :( atm I dont have time to get this to work...sry

crossbreak
100 MW
100 MW

Post by crossbreak » Dec 16, 2013 3:25 pm

thx to the guy who cleaned and updated the hub motor article. Who ever? A short notice would have been nice, even if the result is great ;)

Tom L
1 kW
1 kW

Post by Tom L » Oct 04, 2014 3:08 am

Am I allowed to start vendor specific tutorials as a wiki page? e.g.

BBS0x Programming

Warning About Possible Damage and Warranty Support

Cable Construction
ES members' home made cable solutions
Sources of parts and complete cables

Programming Software and Use
Links to forum posts with links to software source
Serial comms settings and connecting
Reading and backing up settings
Basic settings
Pedal assist settings
Throttle settings

If so where? Under Tutorials / Controller Setup perhaps?

crossbreak
100 MW
100 MW

Post by crossbreak » Oct 04, 2014 3:14 am

guess so. there is a lot of manufacturer specific info given already, some products can only be sourced exclusively from one vendor like Goldenmotor.

Edit: The controller topic sounds about right, but please add a cross reference to the middrive->BBS0X article.