Steveo's Ev Project

steveo

100 kW
Hey Everyone,

I thought i might post about what i got under my sleeve ...

I recently aquired used a123 toyota prius battery packs made by hymotion

I recently aquired enough battery to build a 44p 32s a123 for an ev...

video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2Vq6vgtK_0

I'm currently in the testing stage ... with testing each 11p row at a time; I'm using a discharge current of about 5amp!
all rows measuring between 23ah - 24ah..

For Charging/balancing..

I'd like to use a bunch of these little psus...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190443478315&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

3.3v 4 amp psu to charge each string up to 3.6v

I will use another charger to charge the entire pack to 108.8 or 3.4v a cell ... and i will allow the smaller 3.3v 4 amp chargers to do the balancing up to 3.6v

I'm looking on ideas on how to configure the pack..

I'm still looking for a donar veh // motor // & controller

thanks
-steveo

Attachments

• IMG_7287[1].jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 3,731
  • 5V_3A_A.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 2,347
karma said:
nice steveo i look forward to seeings a working setup. but its my personal opinion that you have to Manny battery packs. you need to send one my way!! :mrgreen:

hahah...

i'll let you know if i have some spare floating ... :roll:

-steveo

Haha only on the sphere do we buy batteries first and build around them :D I want to build/buy an ev bad. We plan on moving a couple towns closer to the metropolis in the spring and then most work will be 10 to 15 mi. instead of 30+ one way.

Hey Steveo,

I am in the works of doing a EV Conversion myself 2.

Where did you get the Prius Packs? How much did you pay?

You have a total of 1408 cells which is awesome. I am really interested as I have a large budget on mine and I wanna get as many packs as I can.

Let me know.

SlyCayer said:
Hey Steveo,

I am in the works of doing a EV Conversion myself 2.

Where did you get the Prius Packs? How much did you pay?

You have a total of 1408 cells which is awesome. I am really interested as I have a large budget on mine and I wanna get as many packs as I can.

Let me know.

i bought out the persons stock to be honest :p

-steve

You've got the makings of a very impressive pack there Steveo – I'm envious :)

Do you think it's necessary to beef up those interconnects in the paralleled cells? It's hard to be sure from the video but they look as if they could carry a decent amount of current. I was just thinking from the safety point of view it might be an advantage to have interconnects that are just good enough.

What type of car did you have in mind?

Malcolm said:
You've got the makings of a very impressive pack there Steveo – I'm envious :)

Do you think it's necessary to beef up those interconnects in the paralleled cells? It's hard to be sure from the video but they look as if they could carry a decent amount of current. I was just thinking from the safety point of view it might be an advantage to have interconnects that are just good enough.

What type of car did you have in mind?

Yes, I will be beefing up those traces for sure!...

Each of those 11p 2s modules was build to sustaine 45 amps continous... if that helps at all... i think around 80+ amps peak...

I will be making traces similair to those of the killa cycle to improve voltage sag on the battery! (pic below)

Does anyone know where i could find copper sheeting that thin, and easy to solder to?

-steveo

Attachments

• DSCN2391.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 3,622
SlyCayer said:
You have a spot welder Steveo? Those Copper strips seem spot welded.

i will be soldering copper sheets to the nickle tabs on the packs to build the battery..

spot welding is being considered... I'm just looking into costs at this point :)

-steveo

SlyCayer said:
A spot welder is around 7,000.00. The last time I checked. That is a 320Ws and weight a welding head.

I would have a company tab weld them for me!.. i would never spend 7gs on a machine loll....

-steveo

For Copper sheeting, might try calling around Custom type Gutter Shops. Might get drops left over from custom design roof shapes. OR, they may tell you who they sell their scraps to ??

Harold in CR said:
For Copper sheeting, might try calling around Custom type Gutter Shops. Might get drops left over from custom design roof shapes. OR, they may tell you who they sell their scraps to ??

Problem with the roof sheets, they are not the electrical copper that you would be looking for. The Normal Copper is C101, anything higher you get into the copper/oxygen versions and etc.

That batterypack is going to be great in your future car. How many kWh is it in total? I do not know which way you may go on a motor and controller package but this BLDC package looks pretty interesting: http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php/bldc-motors-currentevtech-any-goodi-48872.html
http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php/80kw-motor-controller-package-sale-49438.html $4132,- pretty sharp. But price wise DC still kicks but for performance.

Hey Steveo!,
are you doing you building a car great!! :D :D for you question about cheap welding i saw on ebay some A123 for sale from a racing bike and they use plumber copper pipes then smash them a little bit to obtain a flat bar you can solder with a 100watt iron

Back