Tesla Model "S" more details !!

Hillhater

100 TW
Sydney ..(Hilly part !) .. Australia/ Down under !
A different way to see some of how the Model S is put together..
..and how it comes apart !
WARNING .. Tesla fans may find this disturbing ! :wink:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ntK3rvVl2Qw

And firemen across the country are supposed to remember all that?? :shock:
All I can say is that if you ever crash your Tesla, please let it be in Fremont!

Agh! I watched the whole thing! All I really should have done was watch the last 1/3rd of the video showing how to use the "jaws of life" to extract an injured person.

I don't think it's too complicated for a fireman to remember. At least until there are 10 or more different model EVs out on the road. :wink:

I wonder what they did with the car after all was said and done...

First, it hurt to see that beauty cut up...

But what came to mind is a crash scene is not a pristine, clean pavement situation. Now consider that dash push out after the cars impacted, tumbled through the mud and ended up pointing to the sky impaled on a tree or two off the median. Now add a torrential downpour. I have to say, rescue is going to have their hands full with 400 V dc cabling all over the place.

this thing is seriously fast

i friend of mine bought one... it is neck snapping torque...

Tesla Model S Scores Better Than Perfect On Safety Tests
By JON M. CHANG Aug. 20, 2013
tesla-model-s.jpg

Consumer Reports loves Tesla because "its pinpoint handling is reminiscent of a Porsche." Motor Trend Magazine loves Tesla Model S because it's "a gorgeous car and a packaging miracle."

Now, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration loves it, because it can withstand a hit like no other car they've seen. The Tesla Model S scored five star ratings across all of the NHTSA's crash tests.

The Model S even achieved a better than perfect score. "Safety levels better than 5 stars are captured in the overall Vehicle Safety Score (VSS) provided to manufacturers," Tesla Motors said in a statement. "The Model S achieved a new combined record of 5.4 stars..."

..At this point in the Tesla Model S's history, the S may as well stand for Supercar. more
Almost makes me regret going car-free! :mrgreen:

Minus the tesla-specific extraction techniques, that could be summed up as:

Orange cables are bad.
Boxes that orange cables go into are bad.

Probably would be good to just show a bunch of pictures of inverters and chargers so that folks get a better idea of what not to smash or cut.

A 400v arc at battery/capacitor amperage potential is not going to hurt the operator who will be 8" or so away, and wearing some high-spec safety equipment. However it is going to seriously damage/fuse the extraction tools jaws. Arc flash could cause a temporary blindness injury, so maybe adding an auto-darkening hood to the list of safety equipment for the extraction tool operator may be smart. Might be a good idea for manufacturers to add a visible red/orange paint to all HV components. Or maybe a gas-tank bump-switch that runs a position-visible contactor on the pack that crowbars the pack to ground and blows the main pack fuse.

I read on Yahoo news, that the Tesla "S" actually destroyed the roof destroyer tester machine. :shock: :shock: Actually broke the machine. :lol: :lol:

LINK

Tesla Market Value Reaches $20 Billion on EV Optimism
Shares of the Palo Alto, California-based company, which had its initial public offering in 2010, have surged almost fivefold this year. The 10-year-old carmaker named for inventor Nikola Tesla intends to deliver 21,000 of its flagship Model S electric sedans this year and double that in 2014. Chief Executive Officer Musk, 42, has said demand for the car, priced from about $70,000, outstrips Tesla’s ability to make it.... Musk’s net worth has more than tripled this year to $8 billion, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index.

Car Dealers Sue Tesla, Citing State Franchise Laws
Robert O'Koniewski, the executive vice president of the Massachusetts State Automobile Dealers Association, is suing Tesla for opening a store in a local mall.
In Massachusetts, franchise law 93B prohibits a manufacturer from owning a dealership, O'Koniewski says. An auto dealer association in New York is also suing Tesla.
Typically, car manufacturers build the cars, then ship them out to local car dealers, which have to meet the various manufacturers' standards.
Tesla insists it isn't breaking the law, in Massachusetts, New York or anywhere else. But it is clearly trying to play outside the franchise system.
This is a brewing battle, headed for the legislature. Time to update the franchise laws, hmm?

that was pretty sweet to watch. Need to ask my brother in law who's a captain at our local fire dept how they deal with electric vehicles.

You have to marvel at Elon Musk's persistence in the face of all his adversaries. I think that there are a lot of such as he is making a paradigm shift in how vehicles are made, and they are seeing the dust in their face as he races off. http://hothardware.com/News/Tesla-T...etter-Fire-Protection-To-Magnificent-Model-S/
Tesla To Add Triple Underbody Shield And Better Fire Protection To Magnificent Model S
Sunday, March 30, 2014 - by Seth Colaner
After a couple of accidents involving Tesla’s Model S electric car resulted in fires, the company has scrambled to find a solution that didn’t involve completely re-engineering the undercarriage and engine compartment. That solution has taken the form of a relatively simple three-part titanium shield underneath the vehicle.

The fires resulted when road debris punctured the Model S’s battery compartment when the vehicle ran over them at high speeds, so Tesla decided to simply improve that specific area of the car. There are now three titanium pieces protecting the compartment.

There’s a hollow bar designed to deflect or absorb the impact of road debris and at least knock it forward away from the battery compartment. There’s also a plate that’s there simply as an added layer of puncture-proofing, and the third piece is set at a slight angle and can absorb an object’s force, actually helping the Model S ramp up and over debris.

Judging from CEO Elon Musk’s blog post about the shields, you get the sense that he feels that the whole thing is a bit ridiculous. He notes that even though there were two fires in Model S incidents, all of the safety measures already built in--including the onboard warning computer and steel and ceramic firewalls-kept the occupants safe.

He also stated that to date, there have been zero fatalities and serious injuries related to the Model S, and that the fire risk in a Model S even before the addition of the titanium shields is five times less than in a normal gasoline-powered car.

“Nonetheless, we felt it was important to bring this risk down to virtually zero to give Model S owners complete peace of mind,” he wrote. As a result, the Model S is a car that can actually crush concrete as it drives over it. Seriously, check out the video inMusk’s blog post.

We believe these changes will also help prevent a fire resulting from an extremely high speed impact that tears the wheels off the car, like the other Model S impact fire, which occurred last year in Mexico. This happened after the vehicle impacted a roundabout at 110 mph, shearing off 15 feet of concrete curbwall and tearing off the left front wheel, then smashing through an eight foot tall buttressed concrete wall on the other side of the road and tearing off the right front wheel, before crashing into a tree. The driver stepped out and walked away with no permanent injuries

If you're going to crash you might as well do it in style...

Considering Tesla's ability to have its firmware updated wirelessly, I imagine the possibility exists for the car to be remotely disabled following a phone call from the registered owner.

Last night, Elon Musk took the wraps off the new Tesla Model D - A model S with dual motors and autopilot. Faster acceleration, top speed and range. More range because higher efficiency because of the dual motor design. Zero to sixty in 3.2 seconds. Yea, auto-pilot, now standard in all Tesla models. Forward looking radar that can cut through rain & fog, image recognition camera, 3-D ultrasonic radar in all directions, side & back, GPS based navigation & real-time traffic monitoring. Advanced electro-mechanical braking. Low latency electric everything. This is the world's first production self-driving car - called autopilot because on the road its assistive until the legal rights can be worked out. On private property, however, it'll park itself and play fetch.
[youtube]FZ6lZJWL_Xk[/youtube]
http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2014/12/the-tech-that-drives-the-new-tesla-model-s-explained/

Interesting he made a performance comparison with the McLaren F1 - a 22 year old ICE car that had almost 200HP less. A comparison with the current McLaren P1 plug-in hybrid would have been more relevant ;)

Also interesting to hear they've laid the groundwork for self-driving features.

Tesla Motors (TSLA) To Roll Out First US Mobile Store
The company’s mobile store fits on a flatbed track and can be unfolded into a full-fledged store, the size of four shipping containers, in a matter of a “few hours”, according to a media report from Tesla.
..A Model S will also be readied to take interested potential customers on a test road trip.
... Tesla’s mobile stores may well be the company’s “secret weapon” – hinted about by the company’s CEO Elon Musk – at the company’s fourth quarter earnings conference call in February
...Mr. Musk said his weapon would effectively spur demand for the company’s upscale electric vehicles, and will prove a “good weapon” against auto dealerships lobbying against Tesla’s direct sales model in several states, including Arizona, Texas and Michigan.
For those of us who want a test drive. While in Houston, I attempted, but failed to get that.

Back