Street Legal

burner1

10 W
In many forums I see people say that want to make XYZ "Street Legal".

So if you build a car from scratch what does one actually do to get it certified to be street legal? HAs anyone actually followed through on the process?

I would surmise it needs:

Turn Signals
Brake Lights
Flashers
Head Lights
Marker Lights

Bumpers
Mirrors
Seat Belts

But what about the actual process of getting it approved at the License branch?

What JRH said but as former Missourian his post reminded me that state used to have something called a DR tag for home built and/or special construction vehicles. I did it on a chopper moto many decades ago.

The entire process is/was more about preventing laundering of stolen vehicles than the equipment used for construction. Back then we got away with silly bulb-air bicycle horns and little regard to DOT specs for much of the lighting, brakes, etc.

All I had to do was bring major engine/frame components to the Highway Patrol with my receipts showing who/where I bought them and they signed off and sent me to DMV. Eventually gotta DR tag riveted to the frame all legal and legit.

Its a good question and hope some with the experience answer. In my on-going consideration ... https://www.osvehicle.com/faq/#toggle-id-3
Our platform TABBY is the starter kit for any type of vehicle, it is designed to be road legal as a finished vehicle. On its own it needs to be fitted with all the necessary parts such as headlights, turn signals, etc. before it can be sumbitted for approval. The team has 30+ years of experience with road safety regulations, having created approved vehicles in different countries.
The owners of roads don't want a bunch of custom made vehicles on them, for the obvious reasons. But there is the potential with the likes of OSVehicle, for an open-source approach to making electric vehicles. That the chassis has been constructed to withstand the forces of the road, including various crash situations, is of central importance. The answer of course is public buried in http://www.nhtsa.gov/Vehicle+Safety, but most DIY car jockeys are not going to invest what it takes in the way of time & money. For now, I'll stick to LEV's of the two variety.

Back