Help w/Serial Communication to VEC700-96

eedwards15

1 µW
I'm attempting to connect a VEC700-96 controller to a 96V/20kW BLDC motor and I'm in desperate need of assistance!

I'm currently applying 60V/6A across the controller B+/B- via a line contactor. I've temporarily disconnected the motor as to avoid doing any harm. Long story short, the line contactor switches on and the controller turns on. I measure 4.6V at the 5V reference pins and the LED on the module is blinking 7 times to indicate that the Hall sensor is disconnected (which is accurate).

Unfortunately, when I attempt to connect the USB to my computer and interface with the provided program (http://www.goldenmotor.com/controllers/PI-800.rar), I receive a message: "no response because of timeout." Has anyone seen this error message before? I double-checked the hardware (serial cable) and suspect that this might be a software issue... any advice is greatly appreciated! Please let me know if you need any additional information.

Thank you!

eedwards15 said:
I'm attempting to connect a VEC700-96 controller to a 96V/20kW BLDC motor and I'm in desperate need of assistance!

I'm currently applying 60V/6A across the controller B+/B- via a line contactor. I've temporarily disconnected the motor as to avoid doing any harm. Long story short, the line contactor switches on and the controller turns on. I measure 4.6V at the 5V reference pins and the LED on the module is blinking 7 times to indicate that the Hall sensor is disconnected (which is accurate).

Unfortunately, when I attempt to connect the USB to my computer and interface with the provided program (http://www.goldenmotor.com/controllers/PI-800.rar), I receive a message: "no response because of timeout." Has anyone seen this error message before? I double-checked the hardware (serial cable) and suspect that this might be a software issue... any advice is greatly appreciated! Please let me know if you need any additional information.

Thank you!

I'm not familiar with your controller, so I'm making some inferences....Sounds like you're using a serial to USB adapter? Sounds like you verified it is working OK. Have you checked to see that it's assigned to the right COM port and that your program is looking for the right COM port? These are the most common problems I have encountered in such setups. Does the program seem to recognize that the cable has been connected? You may also want to check if there are updated drivers for the program available online--that's fixed similar issues for me in the past as well. We're also into a new era of having to worry about what version of Windows you are running. Hope that helps.

It was indeed the USB driver! Thanks for the pointer. Unfortunately, now I'm running into new problems... the GUI is throwing errors on several parameters' default values. I even confirmed with Golden Motors the acceptable range of said parameters, but the GUI just won't have it. To make this even more frustrating, one of the parameters in question is the reverse charging current and I don't even have regenerative braking enabled! Details below.

The error message is: “Input data is not legitimate.” A picture of the error is attached.
The errors are for the five following parameters. The values for all of these parameters are equal to the default parameters:

Starting phase current: 40 A
Reverse charging current: 100 A
Maximum phase current: 700 A
Rated phase current: 600 A
Battery drawn current limit: 250 A

For reference, my hardware is as follows:
Windows PC [w/Golden Motor USB driver and PI-800.exe]
USB connection to controller
Golden Motor VEC700-96 Controller
Golden Motor 96V/20kW Motor

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• error.png
    error.png
    122.3 KB · Views: 1,440
Glad I could be of some help...but now you're into issues I have no experience with. Maybe try setting the regen current to 0 (in spite of the fact it's turned off)? I'd be reading the manual, then poking and prodding to see if I could make some of those errors start going away. Sorry I can't be more helpful at this point....

Hey

If I remember correctly then 99A is the maximum reverse charging current it allows to enter.
Here is my settings that worked for VEC500. Controller_Settings_20150610.jpg

Back