Scrap EV's

I was just wondering what the feasibility would be of buying a scrap Nissan Leaf or similar and transferring everything over to another car.

I saw this on copart http://www.copart.co.uk/uk/Lot/27253145?searchId=973243130

It's sitting at £2050 with less than two hours to go so might not go much higher

It would be a good way to get good batteries and a motor and probably a few other parts but what about using all the electronics?

I think it just depend on how the electronic, train and everything related to the propulsion system is working in that crashed Leaf. The worst part would be to atatch the front wheels and train system to another frame.

rep1119_001_l.jpg

I wasn't going to go as far as using the running gear, just motor, controller, battery, charger, and any other electrical/electronic components I can. But I did say all I suppose.

CoPart wouldn't tell me the final sale price of this car but I found one on a US salvage site buy it now for roughly $4500 including all fees and tax so I reckon £3000 is probably a good budget for a wrecked Leaf.

I'm more worried how integrated all the parts are, Would I be able to get it to work with any components missing or non standard. Or is it all going to be fairly modular.

From what I've read the limiting factor in the leaf's performance is the controller so a diy controller may be able to release more from the motor and battery than standard.

My target car is a Mazda RX8 and ideally I'd like to mount the motor directly to the rear diff but I have a fear that the leaf's motor is so integrated into the running gear that might not be possible.

Back