hybrid

latecurtis

100 MW
I am looking to reduce my carbon footprint on the planet and would like information on used hybrids. I am especially interested in upgrading the electric components to a level where I wont need to run the gas at all unless traveling over 200 miles. I am not sure what my budget will be but we should begin with a modest one to be on the safe side.

My wife is getting a check from MO. from some property which got settled. We have no idea the amount at this time. I am looking for a light hybrid which can be upgraded dramatically from factory specs. For example if the stock motor and battery set up is good for 40mph and 50 miles without gas I am looking for 60mph and 200 miles without gas after the upgrades.

A straight electric would be more expensive especially to set up for long range so I am looking at hybrids at this time or possibly adding an electric motor to a small 4 cylinder vehicle. Thanks. Any useful feedback will be greatly appreciated.

LC. out

Gasoline Engine: Type: Aluminum-Alloy In-Line 4-Cylinder
Displacement (cc): 1339
Horsepower (CVT) @ rpm (SAE net/with IMAT ): 85 @ 5700/93 @ 5700
Torque (CVT)(lb.-ft. @ rpm/with IMA) : 87 @ 3300/105 @ 3000
Horsepower (MT) @ rpm (SAE net/with IMAT ) : 85 @ 5700/93 @ 5700
Torque (MT)(lb.-ft. @ rpm/with IMA) : 87 @ 3300/116 @ 1500
Compression Ratio : 10.8:1
Valve Train: 8-Valve SOHC VTEC T
Fuel-Injection System: Multi-Point Fuel Injection Lean-Burn Technology
Ignition System: Electronic w/Immobilizer Dual-Point Sequential (i-DSI)
Emission Rating : ULEV
Idle-Stop Feature
110,000-Mile Tune-Up Interval*

Electric Motor/Generator/Power Storage: Motor Type : Permanent Magnet
Power Output : 13.4 hp @ 4000 rpm
Motor Width (mm) : 60
Battery Type : Nickel-Metal Hydride (Ni-MH)
Output : 144V (120 cells @ 1.2V)
Rated Capacity : 6.5 Ah

This is a hybrid vehicle I found for under 2,000. It is a 2003honda civic. I don't see the performance of the electric in mph and miles range. Would a zero motor such as the FX 75-5 motor be an upgrade. I am looking for 60mph and 200 miles without running the gas if possible. Thanks.

The FX 75-5 motor produces 70 foot pounds of torque. If one were hooked to each wheel 280 foot pounds of torque could be achieved. The gas motor could be very small and only needed when the batteries for the electric motors go too low as on very long distance trips. The gas motor only has to achieve minimum highway speeds. The Yaris Hybrid-R incorporates a 60 hp motor to each wheel. That is where I got the idea of hooking up an FX motor to each wheel. Thanks. Please let me know if it will work.

Specs from 75-5 motor. running a zero motorcycle.

Max torque 70 ft-lb (95 Nm) 70 ft-lb (95 Nm)
Max power 27 hp (20 kW) @ 3,700 rpm 44 hp (33 kW) @ 3,700 rpm
Top speed (max) 85 mph (137 km/h) 85 mph (137 km/h)
Top speed (sustained) 70 mph (113 km/h) 70 mph (113 km/h)
Acceleration, 0-60 mph (0-100 km/h) 4.3 seconds 4.0 seconds
Type Z-Force® 75-5 passively air-cooled, high efficiency, radial flux, permanent magnet, brushless motor Z-Force® 75-5 passively air-cooled, high efficiency, radial flux, permanent magnet, brushless motor
Controller High efficiency, 420 amp, 3-phase brushless controller with regenerative deceleration High efficiency, 420 amp, 3-phase brushless controller with regenerative deceleration
Power system

LC. out.

Of BEV's available to date, I believe only the Tesla Model S can travel 200 miles at 60mph on a single charge. Your electric range requirement exceeds by a long way that of almost all pure electric vehicles. Hybrids generally have considerably smaller batteries than BEVs.

Buy a Chevy Volt.

We haven't even gotten into the architecture of these vehicles and discussed the extreme difficulty in just dropping some other motor into the place where the present motor sits. The integration of these OEM systems makes such a swap nearly impossible.

Which ever way you cook it, a 200 mile EV range is going to need 50+ kWhr of battery pack...more if you want 60mph and have a few hills or a lot of city stop start driving.
To put just that pack together is $15-20k at best.
Are you really ready for that kind of investment into a project ?
Much better to get a used Volt for less money....or lease a new one and let the cash earn you money else ware !

Back