dogman wrote:This bearing I was talking about is in the center of the flywheel, and supports the end ot the tranny shaft. Sometimes it is a bushing. It may be actually on the engine, so maybe you don't have it anymore anyway with the electric motor.
I looked it up, and it is in the end of the crankshaft on my year, and you are right, there are no provisions for it on the CanEV hub. I read about someone else having a similar problem (above 4000 RPM) and their solution was to bore a hole in the end of the motor driveshaft and press in a bearing. Looks like the motor will be easy to move in and out, so I'll get it running first so I can move it back-and-forth and sort out the problems later. While I was under it today I noticed the wheelside CV boot was split, so I have to do the half shafts too and wheel bearings while I'm at it - but if the bus is moving I can pay professionals to do it for me. <grin>
Fernanando reappeared out of the blue, reported a death in the family had him out of touch for the past few weeks, and dropped off the flywheel/pressure/clutch combo. I can hang onto the ones I ordered friday.
I also sorted out my drilling jig for making strips to join the cells. I put a narrow copper strip and drill a 6mm hole every 39mm. Then I put a 12mm M6 set-screw point first into the potted end of the cell as far as it will go. Then I put the set screw through the copper strip and screw in the main-case side of the cell.
Below you are looking at a 6.6v100a (2s10p) "pack" capable of 500a continous output. The copper strip serves to parallel the (10) 10a cells into a 100a supercell, and I will land the fuse for the charger lead on one end. By putting the next charger lead on the opposite side of the supercell, the path through all the individual 10a cells should be electrically equivalent, so they should all get the same charge. 48 supercells will get me the 144v pack I am looking for.
Steven of Kelly Controllers told me that although the KHD14500B Controller puts out 500a on the motor side, it never draws more than 400a on the battery side. I am going to build the actual pack at 8p for 80ah and 400a continious output. I intend to eventually mount this pack in the gas tank, but during testing I am going to build it on the floor in the middle of the bus, one cell high (1/5"). The space is 60 inches wide and 48 inches deep, so I can build a row of about 10 supercells from one side of the bus to the other. I'll builld a wood enclosure of plywood sheets and 2"x2" to hold and separate the rows. I can build fit 3 rows of 10 supercells (fuse between each row) into the space, good for about 30 supercells or 96v. I can see how far/fast that gets me and get a better sense of how big the pack needs to be. Once I know what I need, it should be very easy to reconfigure the pack into its final location.
EDIT 12/12/12: replaced pictures lost when the forum crashed a few years ago.