I'm impressed with the progress you've made on this project in such a short time. I'm in the late planning stage of a conversion myself and a little daunted by the work ahead so it's great to read your detailed record and see all the pieces coming together.
I have a question though. I see you have three contactors Ã¢â‚¬â€œ two Kilovac EV200 and an Albright. Most people seem to recommend one on the positive side and another on the negative side so that you can completely isolate the pack, but what's the third one for? Is it just added redundancy? Nothing wrong with that of course, I'm just curious.
You've packaged brake servo pump very neatly there. I realise that's partly to muffle noise from the pump and you've probably already thought this through, but isn't there a risk the pump could overheat inside that box if it draws a lot of power?
voicecoils wrote:oatnet wrote:Can anyone tell me, if I put my multimeter on the ends of an individual cell, will I read the voltage of that cell, or the voltage of the entire supercell?
Yes, you can measure the potential (voltage) across any individual cell, regardless of how it is connected to other cells. Just jump in with a multimeter.
You can also charge or discharge any individual cell in the same fashion, while connected to the others. The circuit (say the multi-meter with probes on each end of one cell) is only 'closed' around that cell, so that's all it sees.
Malcolm wrote:Sounds like you've got every angle covered.
Malcolm wrote:I didn't know that about the EV200 needing additional heat sinking when handling higher currents. I just picked up a couple of them myself, so I'd better read the data sheet... I'd guess they're talking about 500A continuous though, so there should be some headroom there.
markcycle wrote:Wow looks good can't wait to see the maiden voyage.
oatnet wrote:markcycle wrote:Wow looks good can't wait to see the maiden voyage.
Mark, your wish is my command!
I got an inner ear infection on that last day of work, haven't been able to get near it to solder the last three wires until today...
On the maiden voyage, I didn't want to go very fast because the brake booster isn't hooked up yet (I need a 3/8" to 1/2" hose adaptor) and until I repair the burned wiring on the taillights I can't hook up main system power - brake lights, turnsignals, etc.
Changing gears was easy - THE CLUTCH WORKS without a pilot bearing! It pulls away in first gear better than the old ICE did, but it felt like it was running out of ooophm at the magic 25mph mark. OTOH the ICE was slow to build speed too, and I didn't take the time to push it faster without vacuum assist for the brakes.
After making the video, I also soldered up my Jumbo Cycleanalyst, now I finally have access to the information I am used to, the data I need to see how the batteries perform. I think I'm just gonna talk to Victoria and get another batch of cells now, and take it up to 96v since I already have space in the battery tray. I have a feeling I'll get another batch after that and bump it up to 144v... then 180v...
TD, you were right - it was darn near silent inside. I was suprised to hear how loud it was in the video, but I think that is just tranny noise.
It's short, but so is life so enjoy!
very pleased to see the video of your electric car with our Headway LiFePO4 lithium-ion battery.
Dee Jay wrote:NICE!
dogman wrote: since a photovotaic roof is a higher priority
dogman wrote: Some of the EV bloggers do like to exaggerate the results of thier build.
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests