electric car plug advise

columbianmatt

10 µW
Hi guys

After some advise, UK related...
I'm an electrician an work in the UK. I understand that electric cars now have different sockets at the fuel tanks for different plugs to charge at different rates.

How many types of plug are there and what's the most common?

Why do British gas fit car charges to peoples houses for electric vehicles, when essentially this is just an extension lead? most British gas installs I've seen are poorly installed. Am I right to say It's a white bully box with nothing inside it?

What amp does a fast charge pull for a car? Is it 20amp?

Do all of the cars have all the charges in built, so the lead you plug into the car is 240v?

And why do different plugs have different pin configurations? I understand this is for different charge methods but essential it's al 240v?

And why if a British ring main supplys 32amp why would you need a different supplys put in? Obviously I know a plug is 13amp, but forgiven plugs do not have fuses in them. The appliance is fused.

Please discuss and any info is much appreciated.

Matt

Hi thanks

That's definitely uselfull I'll do some more research. But it's mostly American as NEMA is a waterproofing regulation for the states, where as the UK is IP rating, following from Euro which is more strict.
Does anyone know of any British guys here doing similar stuff?

Many Thanks

Matt

Matt

The most common connection is now the Mennekes type 2 connector. Do a search on that and IEC62196 and you will get all the information. The outlet can supply different maximum current depending on a signal supplied by the car cable and plug.
Supply can also be single or 3 phase.

Charles

Back