Converting a 1971 Citroën Dyane

update on battery:
The cellholders are designed, tests and manufacturing of the cell holders is foreseen beginning of november.
The holders will be cut out with a CNC of a solid 10mm ABS plate. This system allows me to stack 1584 of sanyo GA cells into the chassis of the car.
I will fuse all positive sides of the cells.
BMS will be developed in house.

Attachments

• 14516597_1108814205866439_7860824943805164759_n.jpg
    14516597_1108814205866439_7860824943805164759_n.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 1,596
  • 14462917_1108822499198943_2501939483811586455_n.jpg
    14462917_1108822499198943_2501939483811586455_n.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 1,596
Recently I managed to buy the technical front of a Peugeot Partner Electric. Traction Électrique pointed me in this direction, and they will assist with the conversion and approval of the drive of the Dyane.
The motor and controls from the Peugeot are from MES, and offer some major advantages to the existing kits on the market:
- High voltage controller, making it possible to have a 250V battery, resulting in lower currents, and more possibility for fast charging (higher voltage means higher charging capacity)
-Recycling: I'm always looking to implement as much as possible a circular economy concept in the car
- a lot of extra HV goodies: cut offs, wire harness,...
-Price: Let's say it is less then half the price of a commercial new kit now available
disadvantage:
-no kit available for connecting to the gearbox, but the price and the availability of the Peugeots make it worthwhile developing this
We are developing this kit, to get this all approved (Dutch approval), in a never ending quest to get the price down for future conversions

I not seen one of those on the roads of UK for quite some time, these didn't have the hydrolastic suspension units on them did they ?
Nice to see a old ride get a new life I'm a sucker for it, I'd like to do a electric rover metro a lot of parts are shared between the rover/mg group cars so it would be easy to source parts to upgrade to a much stronger gearbox with multiple ratios choices bigger brakes, cut the rear floorpan out, make a custom battery tray but it only be a two seater and more of a sporty model to get decent range and perform well.

Love old Citroens, ingenious and unique enineering, ..i have owned several.
However , i doubt the wisdom of investing time , money, and energy to develop a "kit" to convert any ICE to EV drive with the intention of it becoming a commercial situation.
The growing availability of cheap used EVs and Hybrids means that its no longer necessary to do your own conversion in order to have a reliable EV. Conversions will be the domain of only those folk who want a unique model vehicle running electric, and that is likely to be a very small market of people with very specific ideas for powertrains and battery packs etc

I'm more partial to the much heavier 2nd gen Citroen ID myself(the aerodynamics are pretty good and hold up to the average new car sold today), but this is still a great choice for conversion.

The drag coefficient for the 2CV it is based on is not all that great, at 0.5, but its low frontal area and low weight will help it out a lot, especially in low-speed urban driving. The Dyane may do better in CdA than a 2CV(don't know its Cd figure), and it is still of low weight, only 1,310 lbs.

When measured from the batteries, I predict 65 Wh/km if you hyper mile it at speeds not over 70 km/h, 100 Wh/km driven around town not hypermiling but speeds also not exceeding 70 km/h, and maybe 160-200 Wh/km doing 90 km/h on the highway.

The Toecutter said:
The drag coefficient for the 2CV it is based on is not all that great, at 0.5, but its low frontal area and low weight will help it out a lot, especially in low-speed urban driving.

Gets worse:
citroen-bike-deisgnboom-newsletter1.jpg

Hehe... Seen here:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=57933&start=600#p1234177

I just watched only fools and horses, To hull and back, And the scenes in Amsterdam were shot in 1985 my birth year :) And there's loads of Dyane's in the background of the scenes, commercial bread vans and family hatches, a few 2cv's and an imposter a golf mk2 police car.

However , i doubt the wisdom of investing time , money, and energy to develop a "kit" to convert any ICE to EV drive with the intention of it becoming a commercial situation.
No intention in doing that. But I've got to develop this anyway, so I'll keep the drawings for future conversions.

From what I believe with the fellow European rover owners I spoke to,The equivalent of the UK road worthyness test is much more strict in some of europe and just a basic engine swap to a none production fitted engine was a right pain to get registered if at all, I imagine that's why you used the partners drivetrain otherwise it would have no engine numbers or frame number of donar engine and vehicle to register, you will have to go through hoops and rings to get to the finish I wish you good luck with this one don't give up on it be worth it in the end being so unique.

Back