Koenigsegg Regera Hybrid

spinningmagnets

Staff member
Turbo V8 with no cams on the 4-valves per cylinder. Three motors, no transmission, 0-60 MPH in about 3 seconds. It can run on the gasoline engine alone if the battery is dead. The electric-only range is not long, but it can move under electric-only power if desired.

The largest main motor is an MG (motor/generator) inline with the engine, plus it does triple-duty as the starter (the three motors are shown in red below).

The freevalve technology is fascinating, no cam-chain or belt, each individual valve has a hybrid electro-pneumatic actualtion module, where lift, timing, and duration are completely flexible and computer controlled. I have been looking for information on their motors, because they do a lot of their own research, and often come up with innovative solutions that are not mainstream. I am hoping there may be some tidbits that are transferrable to a DIY non-hub electricbike motor:

2016-Koenigsegg-Regera-1.jpg

https://youtu.be/7pGGjXyUx24?t=626

Fast-forward to 10:26 for the Hybrid model

[youtube]7pGGjXyUx24[/youtube]

I have not found many details on the main electric motor yet, but the two rear wheel-shaft motors are YASA axial-flux (Yokeless And Segmented Armature), and the stator is liquid-cooled. Since the engines cooling system would typically operate at 180F-200F, I would assume that the engines coolant is used (but I don't know). By having an MG/starter on the front of the engine, they have a power-adder, a generator to charge the electrical system, along with a starter for the engine...all without a belt and pulleys. By having a motor on each of the rear wheel shafts, it can use torque-vectoring and quickly adjust power to one side or the other if it detects slipping. Here is a blurb from YASA:

"...The Regera uses two direct drive YASA 750 motors delivering 1600Nm/360kW on the rear axle for traction, and a single engine speed YASA 400 Motor Generator Unit delivering 350Nm/160kW of electrical power generation, torque gap filling and starter motor functionality..."

2016-Koenigsegg-Regera-3.jpg

The cooling system is flooded over the pack, meaning the cells sit in a pool of coolant.

"...Koenigsegg worked extremely hard to find the best performing and safest battery pack possible for the Regera. This research and testing has resulted in an 800 volt, 4.5kWh battery pack, making the Regera the world’s first 800V production car.

This extreme battery technology will now provide an amazing 525kW of discharge and up to 200kW of recharge.

The Koenigsegg Regera battery pack also boasts the highest cooling capacity of any battery in automotive use today. All electric vehicle manufacturers use coolant piped around the battery pack to draw heat from the batteries. There is always an area that traditional cooling pipes cannot reach, however. The Regera battery pack is housed in a sealed unit featuring optimized local coolant flooding across all critical heat-sensitive elements. Every critical surface within and around the battery stack is cooled as efficiently as possible..."

"...75-kg liquid cooled battery pack developed by Rimac Automobili, making it the first 800-volt production car.."

http://insideevs.com/rimac-releases-details-worlds-power-dense-battery-system/

I don't think the Regera has freevalve in its engine.

This guy ripped off this idea from Holmes' hybrid moped; single speed, regen, vector, etc. All he added was electric start. 8)

OK, I get what it means by flooded now. I don't doubt it's the most effective way to cool the cells (I'm guessing the coolant is non-conducting) but it needs to be since it's hammering a pack much smaller than the average EV. That's a 117C discharge. However, 75kg for 4.5kWh is only 60Wh/kg (sounds kinda close to A123 LiFePO4?).

I'm not sure how "highest voltage ever EV pack" and "set out to design the safest possible battery" can be congruous, but I suspect we're hearing the marketing department at work ;)

I don't know if any has caught the new The Grand Tour remake of Top Gear, but the first episode heavily featured the La Ferrari, McLaren P1 and Porsche 918 hybrids.

Back