racebug 800W evo scooter made brushless in the alps

the alps - near italy, france, switzerland
Hello
Here comes my 3rd topic showing my 1st EV
came with a 36V/12Ah Li-ion battery and brushed motor
9629057929441_image450x352.jpg

Changed to brushless

got several "lessons learned" with this one... and still have some issues
(never managed the trick to connect the hall sensor throttle to the servo tester...
motor overheating, had to rebuild it once but magnets keep getting loose... makes a funny "turbine sound" at least :evil:
70A ESC gone pshcttttt... changed successfully to 120A one)

comments and suggestions for improvement welcome :wink:

Motor on the inside (between the plates) would be an improvement!

Nice build though :)

Nice build! I do have a few questions about it..

What motor did you use and how fast does it go? Was there a big improvement in range and power from the stock motor?

Thxs for ur comments :wink:

Murfix said:
Motor on the inside (between the plates) would be an improvement!
Nice build though :)
Guess what ? The rear Sprocket will touch first the ground before the motor while "carving" :lol:
motor in the inside would have required a deported mounting in a difficult access area with risk to loose stiffness,
and it was anyway far from a "Keep It Stupid and Simple" philosophy :p
but thxs for the suggestion, I'll think about it once more

kyuzumaki said:
Nice build! I do have a few questions about it..
What motor did you use and how fast does it go? Was there a big improvement in range and power from the stock motor?

I have to check, but anyway it's still a too small motor (overheat)
there was not a big improvement, because I think the battery became the power delivery limit
(If u calculate Ah x Capacity discharge x Voltage, u end up hardly to 900W assuming 2C discharge of that Li Ion
battery)

...but, if I put my two 5Ah 6s LiPo in serie in there (means at least 44V with "unlimiting" current discharge) , yep, it flies to ~50kph I would say :twisted:

Okay so no danger in scraping the motor on the ground. However for the look of it, safety of bumping into it, heat, ... I would still try to put it in between the plates, but it's up to you to consider if it's worth the extra trouble.

I was hoping to get it cooler spinning outside rather than inside...
in addition, since the contact area of the motor to the frame is enhanced, you could feel the heat sink effect of the frame... hummm...

Looks good, I agree on putting the motor on the inside. I would be afraid to clip it on something buzzing around. It would be nice if you could incorporate some suspension but it would require a complete design overhaul. What size wheels and tires are those? I like them.

Carl

Hi Guys,

I made a similar conversion with the Goped 750H and still have few issues I am trying to fix right now.

1.Looking to connect the servo tester with a throttle
2.The engine has to much torque and it is grinding the 11 tooth sprocket in every 50-60 miles

I am using the turnigy 6374-192kv, battery: lifepo4 (headway) 24V and 24Ah, ESC castle creation XL2. Looked online for this EVO 800 lithium and I can't find it anywhere. Can you post more info regarding the model. I would like to build a similar scooter with the above engine. The 8 inch air tires and the smaller frame should make for a great commuter. I have access to a CNC and milling machine and in this case I would make a custom fork for this model that would make it look much better.

Thank you!

Really good build :D
Any new experiences you want to share?

Inspired by everyone in this forum I want to start bulding my own stuff - to get my first "hands on experience" I planned on upgrading a force similar to yours.
After doing the research stuff I found that the planned motor (SK3-6374 149kV running on 6s) from hobbyking has an 8mm axle whereas the original forca has 10mm.
How did you attach the sprocket to the axle of your new motor?

thanks in advance for your help

Aah! welcome on board Mr. 42 :mrgreen:

that's a very good point :
I had to find a 10mm axle motor, then file its axle to get the D shape of the original sproket
(most likely the most sensitive step of this upgrade)
(No new experiences yet, I do have a better motor to install, but since it's a 8mm axle I will have to change the whole transmission to install it)

Note: u seem to be based in germany - have a close look to the link I posted: they ship faster than any of my local suppliers

Thanks for your quick response and the warm welcome :D .
actually I'm located in Austria, little closer to the alps than "ze Germans" ;)

Link is looking good, pricing seems reasonable compared to hobbyking :)

I will start ordering and keep posted.

Sounds like as if you are also from Austria or Bavaria?
Otherwise there are no alps around ( and neither Switzerland, Italy) :)

I just looked at the site, pretty cool stuff there. My impression is that the ES 16 is somewhat similar to the Forca - Do you have any more detailed data (they have a freewheel that looks pretty nice to me :))?
Albeit I have never dealt with those guys. They are pretty far away - Munich is closer to me...

Unfortunately I have no idea what model I am working on. Bought it second hand, 24V/10Ah SLA Battery, 500W brushed DC motor, 25A Fuse behind the Battery.

Just changed the battery to a 6S/5Ah LiPo from Hobbyking - gives a little less performance/speed (not that important) but the whole thing weighs much less.

The stock motor is rated at 2600 or 2650 RPM which would give me a similar speed (little more) if I go with 6S and a 149kV brushless.

My main goals are
Get the thing lighter (I want to use it for daily commuting - 2km to the next train stop one way; a little cruising in the city)
As much range as possible - I will have at least 5km /day with the possibility of 10+. My weight is almost 100kg including backpack, clothing,...

thx, 42

I have been living near zurich for several years, but hardly got used to the local dialect :lol:
Nevertheless, my scooter comes from germany :wink:
A friend of mine who bought the forca racebug evo 800W at the same time as me sold it to get a 500W registered one,
It's probably the same as yours, he put a 1000W brushed motor and got no improvements, then changed the battery with no improvement either, he got improvement when he installed my 800W controller
(just to say that any project needs a special care how consistent the components are coming along)

And he has the flywheel which is very good - it might be the same wheels as yours (mine are smaller)
He ordered from :
ebike diffusion
It's not too bad as a site, low prices but expect some waiting time to get ur order shipped

My suggestion to u would be :
- open a build thread and up load pics
- think twice if it make sens to go brushless
And last but not least :
those scooters weight tons IMO, and I am glad I got the E-skate bug which complies much more with public transport compatibility

just mounted recently the XYH6374 180KV from my e-board to my e-scooter :

works well, tried to mount it inside but the chain as a fixed lenght, I can't shorten it

Need a chain tool to break the chain and remove links is an easy job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93CPI9_TstA

Thxs, I will check if the tool I have for bike chain might work... to bad this chain as no "master link"
on a longer term, I will quit this #25 standard for an ISO/DIN one

I did it without any special tool, just a hammer to knock the pin out of the link. I got ISO 04 chain. It's easy but you have to hit it quite hard.

made_in_the_alps_legacy said:
hi Murfix, did you use the same method to close the chain back ?
Nope, I bought a chain link. This is VERY easy to install and can also be removed and reused.
Edit: this sounds very stupid, but this link makes your chain longer ( :shock: ), you have to account for that when deciding where to break the chain...

Example:
http://www.maedler.de/product/1643/1615/640/644/1729/steckglied-mit-federverschluss-nr-11e

Back