Hendo Hoverboard and Lexus Hoverboard

Cool, but sounds like mandrakes! Wonder if it comes with earmuffs.

[youtube]cJIcldzY-cE[/youtube]
(skip to 1min for the hoverboard sfx)

I had the pleasure of seeing it in action.

It's pretty impressive to see it hovering, the copper skate ramp is also beautiful.

This is ridiculous and awesome. I have no idea what application this has other than awesome. And I don't think it much matters...

I take back my previous comments after looking into it further. When I saw the video it was on my phone and I was like Meh, another air based hover thingy. I didn't see how they were doing it.

Doing what? Are they actually able to do anything with this board? It has the control characteristics of a skim board.

I could do the same thing with a lunch tray

an older attempt (superconductor magnetic levitation)

http://www.cnet.com/news/mag-surf-quantum-skateboard-defies-gravity/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRNU_D_UImk#t=171

[youtube]C9XDNXyMh2o[/youtube]

another ks project, sound wave?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/richardhaberkern/ultrasonic-levitation-machine-learn-the-science-of?ref=nav_search

Absolutely useless.. but looks super fun...

I know I would not buy one.. but they look like fun to try...

If you cant steer there is no point in using it for our use.. maybe someone will come up with other more imaginative uses that take advantage of what we see as a flaw...
or maybe they will add thrusters....

Certainly better than the 'hoverboards' using an air cushion, but just as loud, lol. The 'white box +' they offer got a ways to be controlled and moved via an app, so I guess movement and steering should at least be possible.

This is entirely stupid and impracticable. 2015 my ass. Does it come with a 10 m copper roadway so you can ride around your garden for an hour until you get bored?

We're stuck with wheels for a while I'm afraid. At least until a cheap, small, light energy storage solution comes around.

Yes there is nothing practical with it for using it as a hoverboard. It seems like it would be really heavy. Would you even be able to control it with the weight of your body to get up and down any ramps on their "future hoverboard skate parks", doesn't look like it from the short video of them actually on the thing. It would be like you go to the skate park with 5 of your friends and carry the thing up the ramp and keep going until maybe one of you makes it up the other side of the ramp then cheer for them for being able to make one pass up and down the ramp.

Bicycles started as something you kicked with your legs made of wood. You couldn't do much of anything useful aside from gentle downhills.

I think they can make it control speed and direction. I watched a video somewhere. I think this tech is one of those things that will have a spin off that is very handy to the world.

liveforphysics said:
Bicycles started as something you kicked with your legs made of wood. You couldn't do much of anything useful aside from gentle downhills.

...But you could steer yourself to where you wanted to go on those push bikes. This board just floats along like a piece of popcorn in a puddle.

psychotiller said:
liveforphysics said:

...But you could steer yourself to where you wanted to go on those push bikes. This board just floats along like a piece of popcorn in a puddle.
Wrong you can steer just not in that prototype but watch the video in this link and you will see a small one they can control direction and speed.
http://www.iflscience.com/technology/hoverboard-touted-can-it-go-distance

Uh...controlling direction on a board you're standing on with a remote is retarded. I cant believe this got funded for this application.

It looks great. I can't wait to see the product evolve and what others do with it.

In the age of short-shorted instant gratification hedonism it pays to play the long game.

Back