sharing my first build experience

an7h0ny

1 mW
Hello, this is my first build share and part review.

I started on my first build a few days ago and liking it. so far I built a battery box to house two hard case lipos and I wired it to use an arming plug to put the batteries in series. also used some d-sub connectors to be the go-between the battery balance leads, so I could quickly remove batteries from the box if I want to switch them out. I used copper core wires, which are harder and don't bend easily, partly because I had it laying around from a hot tub install, and I just like thicker wire strands. everything is 5.5mm bullets connectors on 10 gauge wire. When my arming plug is not plugged in, the batteries can be charged separately, thru the banana plugs under the d-sub and balanced by the d-sub. Charging can still happen with the arming plug in thru first positive and second negative banana plugs, but not balancing. I set it up like this because I already have a lipo charger and it only goes to 6s so I didn't want to buy another charger to do 8s, and I'm still kind of fuzzy on those on board battery management. Actually I couldn't find anything online except people talking about them, just didn't look hard enough I guess. The other end of the box will face the motor and those leads exit through Glands to keep them taught, I left the leads long until I decide how far I want the box from the speed control. Anyway my setup is "old school" if you will, as opposed to thin, streamlined enclosures with one charging port. that will be my next attempt, since this time around is for experience. I got a lot of soldering skill now. My box measures 5"x7"x2".

The rest of the board is next- I got a Honey board pintail and caliber 50 trucks on 83mm wheels, standard stuff. Using EnertionBoards single drive setup which I have to say is quality stuff, the aluminum is not soft, and fittings rock solid. he supplied the motor and speed control with anti-spark switch. I had one dead part but its only the volt meter which I bought a replacement for already. Everything else came very nicely soldered and heat-shrinked in an aluminum enclosure. the wii controller I got from DIYelectricskateboards his stuff is also very nice. the wiiceiver board's solder side points was protected and the whole board covered in plastic. he even included a ferrite ring for the noise on the bec line, which says a lot about his attention to details. Both guys answer questions quickly and are also members here, you know them as "onloop" and "torqueboards".

8s battery on single 270k motor is definitely fast enough on my build, here's a screen shot of the speed I get up to. But its not top speed and by the sound of the motor I feel like 30mph is its top speed with me on it won't know know for sure till I build up riding skill to push its top speed. I'm 150 lbs. My board weighs 14.4 lbswp_ss_20141216_0001.png

impressive for first build! not gonna lie, im jealous!

right now, the scariest part for me is hooking up the battery. if improperly, im afraid the whole house would explode....

Back