Longboard 660kv motor HELP!!

INVAD3R

10 µW
Hello everybody I am literally a noob here, but have so far understood the concept of how to make an electric long board. I have already researched the parts I will be using and so far these are the parts I am planning to use:

*Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 5045-660kv
*HobbyKing Red Brick 60A ESC
*Turnigy 5000mah 5S 20C Lipo Pack
*Onda board wheels

I am considering in making this long board non-wireless and controlling it with a potentiometer because I want a cheap build since I don't have a lot of money and I am in a bit of a budget. I was thinking of wasting from $250 - $300/$350. This budget includes the board,wheels trucks etc. My question what motor would you guys recommend? and also what speed will this 660kv motor give me? I don't really need torque since I live in Arizona and where I live there isn't any hills so no need for torque, I think.I already know how to build the board, my only problem I don't have knowledge in these parts and concepts so this is why I need your guys help. Also if you guys have any suggestions you are more than welcome. :D

How much do you weigh?
On 5s youll be pulling more than 60 amps..
Youll need a hefty gear reduction to tame a 660kv.. like 5:1 maybe 6:1 on regular wheels
Maybe 12:1 on 7 inch ondas...

To get 12:1 is nearly impossible. With 12T being the smallest you'll need 144T drive wheel.

I would opt for a 200kv to 280kv. I personally don't prefer to go much higher in KV rating. 300-350kv maybe.. If you do go for 600kv you'll have to kick if a ton on start-up if you want your motors not to overheat.

I would upgrade to a 120/150A Car ESC.

You can also get a $20 GT2B and/or Quantum Pistol Grip which isn't that much.

Btw good luck on $350. You might as well buy a Yuneec E-Go for $499.

Thank you for your responses. I am considering going lower like you recommended I might go 280kv or 300kv max and see what occurs. What would you recommend to keep my budget maybe at max at around $250 or $350, and what parts may be useful since my whole budget will be used to the board and wheels and such materials and parts. Thank You

I think $250 is doable. 5065 270kV motors are common and good for flat ground.

I have a bunch laying around and could probably send them to you for cheap.
+ motor mounts, printed & polycarbonate pulleys, 6S 120A car escs, etc
b5uv3UI.png

/shameless plug

I think that is perfect, and I am currently still looking for a job but once I get the money just let me know the price and I will consider it. Also I am going for maybe Mountain Board wheels or those that work in dirt and rocks since some sidewalks here are dirt and rocks and not concrete.

I did multiple hole patterns for tensioning, but I haven't found a need for tensioning yet; the "middle" pattern is just the calculated center-to-center for a 17:40 reduction + 3 thou; the other two are spaced at something like ctc + 8 thou and ctc - 15 thou. Turning down the trucks and clamping makes for a super accurate center-to-center distance, and the ability to adjust angle.

A little restrictive when it comes to ratios, but the mounts should work with a couple different ratios (<3 thousandths off from calculated ctc)... 17:40, 15:38, 17:42, 10:36 #25 chain, etc... I have a list somewhere but don't have it off the top of my head.

I can probably do the following for $210 + shipping:
-turned down drive truck
-motor mount
-270kV or 230kV motor
-120A pre-programmed + pre-soldered 6S ESC
-17t pulley
-belt if you're using a 17:40 reduction
-hex drive screws + nuts for mount & motor
-whatever 3d printed parts you need (ie ABEC 11 wheel pulley)
-whatever electrical connectors you need

Throw in an extra $100ish and I can give you an extra motor + mount + ESC + belt + pulley set.

Downside is you're more restricted when it comes to gearing ratios, compared to Torque's kit. May be an issue if you're set on using pneumatic wheels.
( $250 is harder than I thought, hmm... probably a bit over $300 for a single drive? )

Cheapest I would go:

Hobbyking 150amp 6s car ESC- $60
Ntm 50/60 270kv motor- $45
MBS mountainboard with (air) wheels- $120 used
6s 5000mah lipo- $44 (I would get 2 6s 2560mah for smaller factor)
Gears and belts and screws etc.- $30
Gtb2 remote- $22
IMAX b6 Charger- $27 if you don't have one.

Total: $348
Make your own enclosure and power supply(from old computer).

If you could make your own mount then you will save some cash. Otherwise look to torque or Brent.
I also don't know what gearing you'll need.

Useing inflatable tires. While knock your range down to 5miles with only 5000mah battery add another $45 for 10miles.

Those are nice mounts anyhow brent :)

I have some bolt on's also that should be completed soon also. For bolt on those are a great deal.

1:2 for dual motor works well on 6s with a bit of a kick - you can up to 8s and go higher than 1:2 - 1:3.

17/40 should be good which is 1:2.35. For single, I would go 1:3 or 14/40 for 1:2.85 on 6s would be a bit slow but 8s would be nice.

Thanks for the offers and i will consider them once i get my job which hopefully will occur soon. I am thinking that torque isnt really necessary in my case since i am not going uphill or anything and speed is my main priority and that i can travel a good amount of time. Hopefully i can achieve this within the budget. I wouldnt mind controlling the motor with a potentiometer since its the easiest and best way to build this longboard within my budget.

Back