Sprocket Size Speed vs. Torque--Rookie Question...

mjp8081

100 W
After years of owning and working on my Enduro motorbikes, I need someone to remind me of the old rule about the 2 sprocket sizes, drive vs. driven/motor vs. wheel and how they effect speed and torque. Is it

[strike]Larger motor sprocket=more torque, less speed
Larger wheel sprocket=less speed, more torque[/strike]

**corrected:**
Larger (# of T) motor sprocket=More speed, less torque
Larger (# of T) wheel sprocket=More torque, less speed

Is that how it goes? I seem to remember it being an inverse relationship.

Rookie question, thanks.

I ordered 2x 10T motor sprockets, now I'm trying to calculate the wheel sprocket size. (Either 54, 58, or 60T)
Using 2x Tacon Bigfoot 160s

CSN said:
and your wheel size is???

8" MBS...but I'm asking in general terms about the relationship between the drive sprocket and the wheel (driven) sprocket, as a mechanical rule, as it applies to anything with chain drive--bikes, motorcycles, etc. I believe there is an inverse relationship between the two--I just can't remember which is which.

Actually, nevermind...sorry, I finally found a chart that explains.

http://cdn1.bikebandit-images.com/marketing/community/guides/how-to-choose-motorcycle-sprockets/motorcycle-sprocket-drive-ratio-chart.jpg

From the question you asked, it would be a yes to both what you are asking. I probably believe you already get the concept of the final drive ratio....

I think it'd actually be no, for both. For the same wheel pulley, more teeth on the motor pulley would make your board faster, not slower.

Yes...corrected:

Larger (# of T) motor sprocket=More speed, less torque
Larger (# of T) wheel sprocket=More torque, less speed

I corrected the OP to avoid confusion

Back