s500 brusshless outrunner

riverie

1 mW
Here's my first attempt modding brushless e-scoot with schwinn s500 as the platform. I bought this off craiglist for $30, he was kindly deliver the scooter to my place. While it's dusty and dirty, the scooter's frame itself is actually in good condition. Those scratches at the body doesn't bother me at all. The frame is solid without any bend or damage, front fork is straight, wheels on both side isn't wobbly, and that's all I care about. The tire tube is busted so I had replace with new one.
The first thing I did was to remove those ugly sla battery, stock currie motor, and clean up the chassis and stickers on the body.
IMG_1669.JPG

The battery compartment is small, but my set up is lipo packs and vesc, so the dimension should be a perfect fit.
I looked around and decided to buy alien sensored 6384 3500w brushless outrunner from Bruno. Specs is 130kv, so with my 16000 10s it should be 5200rpm although I know it would be far from that with load. But if my thinking is right, with programable vesc set to 40-50amp, this small scooter should be solid enough to walk around.

I contacted my friend for his help to put the motor on the existing currie motor base plate so everything should looks cleans and original.
IMG_1749.JPG
View attachment 2
IMG_1770.JPG
IMG_1771.JPG

I installed the headlight, rear 160mm disc brake rotor, rear tail light, and fan to cool down my vesc. I bought 2 pole rocker switch from ebay. The left switch is for headlight and tail light that I connect parallel, the right switch is for the fan. All of these will be powered by small sla battery for easy and convenient reason.
IMG_2151.JPG
IMG_2154.JPG

Made my own deck. The new deck is bigger, stronger, and sexier than the old original one :D. I know I will feel more secure standing up above this deck instead of the stock crappy plastic one.
IMG_2181.JPG
View attachment 2
IMG_2183.JPG
IMG_2227.JPG

I also build the compact lipo charging station using the remaining wood. The charger is revolectric powerlab 8 duo. Power supply is 24v 75amp.
IMG_2230.JPG
View of the "bay". It's perfectly snug fit with my lipo, fan, and vesc ;)
View attachment 4
Don't expect any regular controller fit into this small tray. This is one of my reason why I also choose this vesc. It's ollin board vesc with the heat sink, 8cm brushless fan, and so far I don't see any issue with the heat.
IMG_2229.JPG
IMG_2162.JPG
Installed the disc brake
IMG_2224.JPG
Lipo checker to check the status of 10s 16000mah battery.
IMG_2225.JPG

The scooter runs great to move me around the block in new york city. The top speed isn't crazy fast like heavy hitter here in ES. I topped at 26mph which is enough for me at this moment. I could push it more above 30mph is I change the gear but I live in hilly area so it's fine for me. I use the stock gear of 96t on the back, and 11t on the motor. It's very low gear, so it suits me with the hill.

I reached out to EG after this completion, and learned a lot about things that I overlooked. My next upgrade would be installing bms, and dc step down converter to 12v to replace that sluggish sla that currently powering my lights and fan.
Beside all of the limitation and lots of room to be improved here, I'm pretty happy to achieved this considering I'm very new to modding and has no experience before.

Great result and I look forward to your upgrades!
One of those upgrades, with your top speed, could be a front (rim)brake... :shock: :wink:

Back