Hover board motors for mountain board

Telemachus

10 W
All of the builds I have seen for e-skateboards and mountain boards use brush-less motors with a belt drive to the wheel.

I have two hover board wheels sitting around.

I think they would fit onto the truck pretty easily. Is there some reason no one uses them?

I think two of them would easily pull 10-12 MPH and would have a LOT of torque to get up hills.

Seems to me the only issue with using them is the tyre is solid so not much cushion and the axle needs to be sturdy so a custom set of trucks is best but I'm all over this loving the idea of forming a deck making the truck's and shove 12s 20ah of lipo I already have and make a 4wd one with four 350w 48v controllers be a very reliable robust ride done right.

I did end up finishing the project earlier in the year. The hoverboard wheels actually worked great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43i-DiQwRSM

The hoverboard wheels are surprisingly powerful for their size, the torque they have is plentiful I've pitched about with one on a flipsky vesc 6.6 with similar speed results as yourself but I can adjust the phase amps and increase the torque so they are on their limit nearly tapping out and even though it only gets to just over 15mph the torque is mental and viscous it will soon the tyre up in the wet or lose ground no problem if like to try it in delta see if the halls still work and how well it behaves.

Nice to know I'm not alone using hoverboard motors. This is barely started. I plan to run it at 48v. I'm thinking a couple of flisky 6.6 dual controllers ought to do the job nicely.

Long%20board.jpg

Ianhill said:
The hoverboard wheels are surprisingly powerful for their size, the torque they have is plentiful I've pitched about with one on a flipsky vesc 6.6 with similar speed results as yourself but I can adjust the phase amps and increase the torque so they are on their limit nearly tapping out and even though it only gets to just over 15mph the torque is mental and viscous it will soon the tyre up in the wet or lose ground no problem if like to try it in delta see if the halls still work and how well it behaves.

I took one of my motors apart. It was wired delta. You said that you want to switch yours to delta. I wonder if some of mine are wired wye and others delta. The one I took apart was full of little metal bits. I took it apart because it would not turn smoothly. I think I need to take all of them apart and look them over closely. When I took it apart, I was surprised to find that coiled up inside was a hall cable. I wonder about the other 3 motors. They all look identical on the outside.

Ever find larger tires for these motors? Since they are hubs, that's the only way to gear them.

Don't expect to much continuity between them I had 4 motors and only 2 were identical, all the cases had the same pattern size and shape but internally there was different bearings used with differing OD on the stator and the end caps used differing casts.

It leads me to believe the manufacturing of millions of these motors has been split up over differing factorys and they have been allowed to whisper the design of the motor to one and other.

I'm interested in your delta hub all 4 of mine were wye wound with around 16kv the magnets,windings and laminate where the same on all 4 so electrically they acted the same buy internally there was difference in quality some had lose copper, missing insulator on slots just real poor show.

Ianhill said:
Don't expect to much continuity between them I had 4 motors and only 2 were identical, all the cases had the same pattern size and shape but internally there was different bearings used with differing OD on the stator and the end caps used differing casts.

It leads me to believe the manufacturing of millions of these motors has been split up over differing factorys and they have been allowed to whisper the design of the motor to one and other.

I'm interested in your delta hub all 4 of mine were wye wound with around 16kv the magnets,windings and laminate where the same on all 4 so electrically they acted the same buy internally there was difference in quality some had lose copper, missing insulator on slots just real poor show.

I expect quality will be low on these motors. If/when I get this project going, I'll be looking them all over.

Back