My brushless motor is getting very hot after few minutes running

zeroonea

10 mW
My motor is outrunner brushless 6063 with 6S 40C battery. My ESC is 90A esc. Gear ratio is 12T/55T. I hear someone say it is undergeared or overgeared. What is undergeared and overgeared?

In your case, it probably means, your motor does not reach enough rpm to work efficiently. What kv is your motor? What is your driven wheel diameter? What is your top speed?

280KV, wheel diameter is 20cm, I don't know my top speed... Can you explain what is undergeared and overgeared please?

zeroonea said:
My motor is outrunner brushless 6063 with 6S 40C battery. My ESC is 90A esc. Gear ratio is 12T/55T. I hear someone say it is undergeared or overgeared. What is undergeared and overgeared?
Undergeared or overgeared refers to a poor match between motor speed and desired vehicle speed.

Let's say your motor's constant is 60 RPM/V. That means for a 6S (~22V) battery you will get a "base speed" of 1320 RPM. Now you have to calculate what speed that means; to do that you have to know the gear ratio (.218 in your case) and the wheel diameter. For a 26" wheel that means 22mph.

Now, if you really wanted 10mph you are giving up some torque and not making a good match between your battery and your motor; you would be better off with a lower gear ratio, lower motor constant or a lower voltage. Likewise, if you really wanted 30mph you are going to have to phase-advance like crazy - that's not very efficient, and most controllers don't support it anyway. You'd again be better off with a different gear ratio, motor constant or battery voltage.

People say when motor very hot and ESC just warm. it is undergeared, so we should change the pinion to more teeth. Is it right?

My quick calc came to 6720rpm on motor at ~55km/h.
It is small motor, resulting system is underpowered and under geared, I would shut for ~ 10000rpm unloaded and gearing for 30km/h max.

Which is 9s battery and gearing 1:10.

My ESC just 6S, can you recommend gear for best performance and efficiency? I don't required it must run too fast

zeroonea said:
My ESC just 6S, can you recommend gear for best performance and efficiency? I don't required it must run too fast
Try to adjust gearing to the point where your top speed requirement matches top motor speed. For 30kmh 1:7 maybe.
P.S. It already accounts for 80% of no load rpm, where you motor delivers most of the torque. You will have ~152% of current torque available.

Back