Electric Dirtsurfer / In-line board

Farmer John

1 µW
First of all I’m grateful to have found such a knowledgeable group of people to lead me through my first e-anything project.

I intend to build an electric Dirtsurfer. After seeing other e-Dirtsurfers and researching this site I have a plan, but I would appreciate input along the way.

I have just ordered a Mac geared hub motor kit from emev3.
https://em3ev.com/shop/upgrade-mac-kit-with-4750v-battery-1500w-max/
I will power it with a 48 volt battery run at up to 30 amps cont.
I want to install a FRONT 536HF 8T Mac motor in the REAR wheel of the Dirtsurfer. The frame is made out of aircraft grade aluminum. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/79/Dirtsurfer_GP_03.jpg
The swinging fork is in the front FYI.

I plan to use a Grin V3 torque arm. I’ll use a rear disk brake connected to a hand brake lever, where a 3 way switch and thumb throttle will be mounted. The kit comes with a 9 fet 3077, 30 amp controller, which matches the 30 amp battery.

What’s your opinions, concerns, etc.? I’m looking forward to the discussion.

Thanks,
Steve

I don't think you're likely to have any problems with the default controller programming, nor the MAC kit in this application. I'm guessing you'll have as close to a plug and play experience as any of us get.

Consider using a non-round, lockable grip on whatever stub of material you have for your brake lever and throttle. I think positive orientation control will be key to making precise inputs.

If I were you, I'd be spending more thought on stuff like full face helmets, mouth guards, knee and elbow pads, wrist guards, shin guards, and low deductible health insurance.

Chalo said:
and low deductible health insurance.

The OP could be Canadian which means free health care. But its always wise to have extra health coverage like Blue Cross or Greenshield for an extra $50/month 8)

I've never seen something like that Dirtsurfer before, looks cool.

Looks like a lot of fun, I'll ride most anything you stand on sideways and goes forward but............I think I'd be more enthused if it had Longboard bindings, ones I could eject from easier. I did a fair amount of Longboarding at speed in my younger days and some mountainboarding too, yeah as someone mentioned above crash protection is a good thing.

Looks like a blast to ride although i could see myslf getting injured semi regularly with it. Mostly lumps :D

Thanks Chalo for your thoughtful comments. A non-round mount is a great idea!
Could you expand on positive orientation?
And thanks to everyone for all the health concerns.

Farmer John said:
A non-round mount is a great idea!
Could you expand on positive orientation?

The Ergon grip or one of its many cheaper clones is what I was thinking of.
42410000_detail_1.png

If you hold this in one hand, there's no way to be in error about what rotational position it's in, or the relationship between the grip and the throttle. With a round grip, simply pressing the throttle lever will tend to rotate the grip somewhat, making the throttle position less precise and identifiable. With an Ergon grip, it might move when you work the throttle, but you'll immediately feel it and be able to re-orient.

The same would tend to apply to a hexagonal grip or other distinctly not-round shape, as long as the grip locks positively to the stub of handlebar.

Now I get it! Thanks Chalo.

I put the motor, brake, torque arm
and tire on the frame today.

When I get back from a trip I will put the
handle stub together.

IM working on a nearly identical project now. I started this project back in 2011 and never completed. Anyway, what are your ideas for storing the batteries on the dirtsurfer itself? I'm thinking of hanging them off the side of the rear wheels. Ill be using 2 36 volt batteries that are in a tube format... they were originally used in a couple Segway ES2 scooters.

Thoughts? Any pics of your completed project?

Back