Quadcopter Build

i found that at least one bearing of my d3530 motors is damaged. it's grinding and not running freely. normally i would go for sealed bearings like those: http://www.ebay.de/itm/10x-Tuning-RS-Kugellager-Bearing-5x11x4-mm-fur-TAMIYA-Cars-ROTE-RED-RS-SEALS/110792268963?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27824%26meid%3D8747fad945484ab5a5e64f05e9d8b546%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D11435%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dag%26sd%3D250436157262&rt=nc#shpCntId
but i'm not sure if sealed bearings are good for copters because of the higher resistance.
what do you think?

I have only changed bearings on bigger motor...it was a real pita to do, like a bigger rc motor, and I tried just removing the bearings out of some small broken motors from ages ago and I found it easier to remove the magnets then the bearings..

You probably have the right tools i am pretty limited atm. no press or anything.
those bearings look sweet. And i am sure they will work.

I wonder how much it would cost to ship 3 motor to you, If you want to pay for the shipping ill send you 3 motors.
Ill look it up later on today, will be worth doing if it only cost like $20 but not sure if it will be that cheap, last time I sent a Big controller to just the US, took 8 weeks and cost $70, was like a couple of kilos... so no idea.

I've been into this guy's vids - Grant L. I almost plunked down on one of these frames, but realize a lot of it is due to the pilot and I need to get a ton more practice in before it will be worthwhile.
[youtube]dtnYjI01GuU[/youtube]

I reckon if you're after a super stable platform...

You could buy a naza flight controller, has very good gps capabilities.
I have seen first hand how well they work, They are super stable...

However..

I have seen ultra tight dynamic gps hold with Ardupilot in loiter mode...
But to take it up a notch, get an optical flow sensor + a sonar sensor, you can easily run this all from a PIXHAWK controller which is 32 bit..
going to cost about the same price as the naza with the sensors...

I am really sorry for strong recommending the hobbyking multiwii pro man, Its ok.. kinda, but after using some other controllers its nothing compared to them...

If you can make some better prop adaptors so you dont need to ream out the props, it's going to be more stable... or you can heavily isolate the fc from vibrations...

As for that video.. that is all being done via Cameras ... shit ton of $$$

yesterday i wanted to install my rctimer 90a current sensor. working quite well i soldered it to my distribution board. and i can tell you: burning copper smells really bad :( i mixed plus/minus. i immediately disconnected the battery, and to my wondering all 4 esc's still work. well somehow. what did burn was the negative pcb layer. so i bridged the battery lead to one of the esc connections.
the board boots fine, reports valid values to multiwii config. i can arm it, rotors spin, everything looks fine until i start to fly.
raising the throttle VERY slowly until it lifts off, once it's in the air IMMEDIATELY after it jumps around. so damn fast the you are luckly not to be hit by it. totally unflyable. you have to cut the throttle milliseconds after liftoff or someone/thing get hurt/broken. i have NO idea what causes that.
is there a way i can find out what suffered from the reverse power? any way to test the esc? maybe they are broken and send out wrong speed.
i can't imagine that it's the FC as this is powered by one ESC. and i guess that the esc doesn't output 5v to power the board if connected wrong. so i guess the board is safe?!

What do you mean by jumps around fast?

Are you getting any I2c errors?

Are the sensors working? by checking gui

Not that i'v had this issue, however, In the past sometimes iv skipped troubleshooting and just cleared eeprom, uploaded new sketch, calibrated esc's
You could try this and see if this will fix it, Iv reversed polarity on my 3d printer b4, uses similar board to these quad-copters, I thought it was doomed, but after flashing it, it was alive again. "lucky"

I feel like there is more to this..
I will think about this, if i come up with anything ill post it up.

ok. got time to investigate further. it seems that something's wrong with this firmware i installed. i may have had a ##define set wrong or something. i don't know.
i tested with some 2.2 firmware and the plain 2.3 multiwii. both work nicely. it may of course be that something enabled in the firmware is used w/o problems causes the issues. there's frsky telemetry, and some other GPS code activated.
i will can't connect with my 4.0 bluetooth. well, i can connect, but connection disconnects after one to three seconds. it's totally useless that way as i can't use my phone to configure multiwii. any idea why that could be?
i'm still afraid that something on the board or peripherals broke when the battery was connected in reverse. i can't imagine how that could cause troubles, as the FC is powered by the ESC, and the ESC, it connected in reverse outputs nothing. so this shouldn't have caused issue. who knows ...

some problem can be solved quite easily. i use a aio extension board, which i powered externally. this power connection was broken. reinstalled it, and gps and bt are working again :)
but still there seems to be some strange thing activated in config.h of the frsyk,nav7,2.3 multiwii version. whenever i configure it as usual the copter is unflyable.
i wish frsky telemetry would find it's way into multiwii 2.4. but i don't have much hope.
today i started PID settings again. but it was so cold that my fingers got very cold soon, so it was no fun.
still pid tuning is a mystery to me. and as soon as it comes to altitude and gps pid setting it's all over :) my copter flies bigger and bigger circles around the position where i put it in "gps hold, baro and mag" mode.
of course this can be caused by my mag going crazy with adding throttle. the compass jump 180° in the opposite direction when i hit full throttle. and i have no idea what power wires cause this issue :(

Back