Pipistrel Panthera Electro - first plug-in 4 seater

remf

100 kW
I'm surprised that the Pipistrel Panthera Electro - the first plug-in four seater aircraft - hasn't been mentioned here yet but it is certainly impressive looking & sounding, much like all their other mogas models like the Virus, Sinus & Taurus. Cruise speed & range are obviously not that of the regular Lycoming IO-390 powered Panthera - 202 knots vs 118 knots for the Electro version & 1025 NM vs 215 NM for the Electro.

On the full IFR panel there are three functional areas: the upper back-up/annunciator area, the PFD/MFD area and the communication stack. The avionics are gathered around a Garmin G500 series PFD/MFD synthetic vision screen and the new Garmin GTN series touch-screen Flight Management Systems. It features a full-airframe parachute rescue system, which was specially developed to allow deployment at both low and high speeds, as well as at low altitudes.

More interior room than a Cirrus, costing around €400,000 and available later this year, it seems the *only* hinderance to mainstream acceptance is the very limited range and limited power. Pipistrel have made the battery packs swappable and therefore able to leverage advances in cell technology to increase the range in future.

Motor output 145 kW / 195 hp
Stall speed (flaps extended) 109 km/h / 59 kts
Stall speed (flaps retracted) 118 km/h / 64 kts
Manoeuvring velocity (Va) 248 km/h / 134 kts
Turbulence penetration (Vb) 324 km/h / 175 kts
VNE 407 km/h / 220 kts
Typical cruise speed (TAS) 218 km/h / 118 kts
Climb rate at MTOW 5.7 m/s / 1140 fpm
Take - off run 385 m / 1265 ft
Take-off distance (50 ft obst.) 700 m / 2300 ft
Landing distance (50 ft obst.) 570 m / 1900 ft
Range at cruise speed, >400 km / 215 NM
4 people aboard (incl. 45 min reserve)
Service ceiling 4000 m / FL 130

Panthera side.jpg
Panthera open side.jpg

Gimme gimme gimme... Love to have play with one of them. probably a good glide ratio too I am guessing

NeilP said:
Gimme gimme gimme... Love to have play with one of them. probably a good glide ratio too I am guessing

I'm guessing the glide ratio is around 22:1 with the retractable landing gear. The high-wing fixed gear Virus SW 100 has a similar wingspan of 10.7m and stated glide ratio of 15:1. Yes I'd certainly like to go for a fly in one too.

amberwolf said:
a pipistrel distributor is a member here:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=479837#p479837

I'm not affiliated with Pipistrel but I have visited their amazing factory in Ajdovščina, Slovenia and I fly a Virus. They're incredible innovators and have been overall winners in the last 3 NASA CAFE Green Flight Challenges. Hopefully we'll get some updates from fergusm as they becomes available.

Back