The electric Swift (from Icaro 2000)

LockH

1 PW
Ummm.. Started out in Victoria BC Canada, then sta
http://www.icaro2000.com/Products/Swift/Swift.htm
[youtube]PvyrWUm7CRk[/youtube]

Batteries
Various "accumulator" systems are available.

The standard "accumulator" is a 24 Ah lithium ion model, providing a flight time of about 20 minutes with an RX18 or RX21 wing and an 80 kg pilot.

Two batteries connected in parallel (48 Ah) provide a flight time of 40 minutes.

Using a modern rapid-charge lithium polymer accumulator, flight time can be extended to about 30 minutes, or up to one hour's flight when two of these accumulators are connected in parallel, providing a total of 80 Ah.

The maximum flight time varies according to pilot weight, the style of flying, and the surface area of the wing.

3 Flytec batteries type are available:
LiIon 24 Ah 12,5 kg LiPo 40 Ah, 16 kg LiPo 60 Ah, 22 kg

Electric motor
The HPD (High Power Direct) motor was developed by Werner Eck and is distributed by Flytec.
It is a brushless, rotating-can motor which directly powers a 1.4 m diameter folding-blade propeller, with no reduction gear.

Flytec HPD 10 10 kw Electronic system Flytec MMS 10 Weight 5 kg

02.jpg

Very cool, and happening right now, not in some distant future. This is a simple and practical aircraft, the landing was impressively short also.

As one who just yesterday ridge soared over the ski area behind my place (sort of, it wasn't quite soarable so I sunk out once I cut the engine, but with just a fast idle I was able to maintain for 15 minutes right at cloud base) I had to laugh at his low level loops over crowds of people. That would get you grounded in the US so fast it wouldn't be funny, we need to stay 500 or 1000' feet away from "assemblies of people", and doing aerobatics requires waivers and all kinds of BS. Better to go play like that where no one can see you. It's great if he can get away it though, any German I've been around has always been a great pilot!

Back