Landmine detection with quadcopter, by 14 year old

spinningmagnets

Staff member
A 14 year old boy in India read about injuries to soldiers in the Indian army from landmines (large mines are for vehicles, some mines are small for the anti-personnel role). He spent about a year developing a cheap (and almost disposable) drone to detect them using infrared at a distance from the soldiers, and then detonating them with a tiny radio-actuated explosive that is placed onto the mine. His new company is called "Aerobatics 7". A "Crore" is ten-million, so the 5-Crore contract is worth 50-M Rupees, or $741,000 USD. So...what did you accomplish by the time you were 14?

http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/14-y...production-of-his-anti-landmine-drone-1648650

anti-landmine-drone-650_650x400_41484324430.jpg

I was kinda hoping that this tech, Drones, would be used for something better than just mere amusement. bravo that man/boy.

As a real live pilot of a small aircraft, I consider drones a possible hazard, rant over. But damn, I really like the uses some people are putting them to, this is one. I also notice more and more major news stories feature drone footage, just today I saw a shot flying above ice encrusted trees in the mid west, very cool.

I want one. I can think of other things to drop the small explosive charges on, like the varmints in my back yard.

I rememeber reading about how wild pigs do a lot of damage on farms in Texas. There was this guy who was familiar with quadcopters, and added an IR camera so he could see them better at night. He'd find them, and use a radio to guide his friends (on quadrunners) to the herds, where they would use IR scopes on rifles to shoot them.

All was fine until they began selling their services to the neighbors, and when it became a business, the FAA stuck their noses in. Point being, critters show up pretty good at night with IR, even a cheap IR camera.

thermal_drone_ptz_01.jpg

Back