solar sail paddle wheel

goatman

10 MW
not sure if the link works but its J mantzel on youtube. hes done a few solar and electric boats. interesting channel for those interested.

https://youtu.be/sHUQqUWWboo

Cool. Paddles are some of the most efficient. We build one that has three paddles out of the water at any time.. and 5 paddles in the water.

DogDipstick said:
Cool. Paddles are some of the most efficient. We build one that has three paddles out of the water at any time.. and 5 paddles in the water.

5 wet/3 dry??? How does that work, since the center of the water wheel would need to be submerged?

The paddlewheel in the 2nd video gets a 2 out of 10 in my book. The 2 is earned only on the basis of doing the work to build something that functions. The zero for the rest is due to the high noise level and the fact that it's totally separate from the solar electric drive, which means you still have to apply human power to the pedals while under electric power to avoid a big hydrodynamic drag. The noise level of that contraption would drive me absolutely crazy, since near silent is possible.

John in CR said:
5 wet/3 dry??? How does that work, since the center of the water wheel would need to be submerged?

It is called an articulating feathered spider driven paddle wheel. Submergence variation is very important for a paddle boat. Th spider ( offset articulation point "B", fixed in relation to point "A" ) controls the paddles articulation so they enter the water and leave the water at a vertical angle too. On the downstroke, feather in, upstroke, feather out.

Ordinary high performance snowmobiles can, in stock form, do better on the water than the equivalent high performance personal watercraft. The watercraft are of course water jet propelled, I guess for safety reasons they do not use propellers. The snowmobiles are essentially paddle boats.. long as they floating. I think thats strangely cool. This drawing has more paddles than the actual boat ended up having.

Attachments

• ARTICULATED WHEEL.jpg
    ARTICULATED WHEEL.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 1,281
Back