Dee Jay's DIY Surfboard Catamaran aka Project "Cool Breeze"

Dee Jay

100 kW
Project "Cool Breeze" has officially begun!

GO 'HEAD creative geniuses TAKE MY PROJECT NAME!

Why Cool Breeze? I'm glad you asked. Cos this build iz gonna be GHETTO! LOL only kidding, I do have a reason but it'll remain an inside joke that only I know about. :lol: :lol: :lol:
[youtube]_ZXEeIjq4PU[/youtube]

Found 8 footer surfboards for 98 bucks at Costco.
costco.jpg
Making a sail shouldn't be too hard.. but if I can find a used sailboard sail at a good price I'd go the path of least resistance, I just wanna get this boat party started.

Another task is to find a suitable tube frame and trampoline material or maybe a used children's trampoline, about 5x8 ft would do, gotta keep my eyes peeled..

dagger board keels on each side maybe part of the frame

rudders should be the easiest to build. plywood, fiber glass sheets, epoxy, paint or use the fins that comes with the surboard.

last on the list is to build the Hobie Kayak Mirage Drive in case ES trolls try to "knock the wind out of my sails"
[youtube]lD6OQhCeXqs[/youtube]

Or maybe a small waterjet engine.. how hard could it be to hook up a high pressure water pump impeller to a small engine??

[youtube]qg14dKSByM8[/youtube].......................................................................................................hhmm a small trolling motor is suddenly starting to look like a better idea.

great story!
[youtube]VPog14El4H0[/youtube]

[youtube]rh1If7kfu6E[/youtube]

[youtube]uvw8t0TTLPs[/youtube]

Hillhater said:
Is this intended to be a sail boat , or a power boat ?
..Or maybe a small waterjet engine.. how hard could it be to hook up a high pressure water pump impeller to a small engine??
VERY difficult,.. if you are wanting any sort of efficiency..stick to propeller drive.

Chips Ahoy! :mrgreen:

both motorboat/sailboat, whichever comes first

we live right next to a river that leads to Tokyo bay just several miles away. I intend to sail downstream. Don't need a super strong jet, it's a very calm river due to dams further up the river so no whitewater but I need an insurance to get back up..

I just came up with a great idea just now, to build the Hobie Mirage Drive that will be big enough to double as the keel! It will be very convenient when casting off and beaching cos it will be able to fold up! I just wonder if it'll be efficient enough to paddle/pedal upstream... or maybe there's a way to motorize a Mirage Drive...

ah yeah, sailing and hot tracks... a built in boombox on an O'pen Bic sailboat would be SICK! :twisted:

[youtube]JcUPTHIupz0[/youtube]
[youtube]X1aemnBBMPA[/youtube]

I think maybe I'm droppin the surfboard idea and going for sit-on-top ocean kayaks for better buoyancy. I'm now looking at two of these bad boys.. the 13 footer "Nemo 2+1", goes for $1,150 each but I'm hoping to find some used ones.

And combine the Nemos with the Switch sail rig system!

[youtube]zh0vhbJ49aY[/youtube]

But man I'd give my left sack for the Point 65 Tequila collapsible ocean kayaks. The pieces are so modular you can make it as long as you want! HOW COOL IS THAT! The portability and storage convenience alone makes it's very cool, if I do say so myself....

strange, I was just listening to this song today :?

[youtube]KfCmIjmA9nI[/youtube]

Hillhater said:
Why bother when used 14' - 16' Hobie's seem to be selling cheap ! :?
Good point, but this is my plan:

We're only walking distance to the river but the kayak launching area is 2 or 3 kilometers away.

My wife and I will tow one kayak each with our bikes or we may have to take two trips depending on how well I design the rigging hardware. Hobie hulls are fiberglass, maybe too heavy to tug around with a bike.

And we plan to head up to a lake in late summers. I doubt hobie hulls can be carried on car-top racks, kayaks you can..

And we can ride one kayak at a time, so they'll pull double duty. You can't ride a single hobie hull.

a folding futon frame! 8)

all steel tubing bent to rectangles, perfect as the trampoline frame, roller.jpg
it came with coils that may come in handy for retracting keel and rudder!

I took two trips for two sections on the PCB. 2pieces.jpg

These pieces are different diameters, if they'll slide into each other I'll cut and slide 'em into a wider frame..2piecesx.jpg

I wanted the other sections, one with the same dimension as the first and another a bit bigger and with wheels but too heavy for two more trips. If they're still there tomorrow I'll roll the wheeled section behind the bike all the way home.. :D

good thing I didn't set my mind into buying brand new stainless steel tubing at $21 per 3 meters, free is cheap! :mrgreen: stripped.jpg

Back