Mechanized, motorized crew boat project proposal

hillzofvalp

100 kW
I have wanted to do an electric boat of some sort for a while. Finally, my friend and I had the idea of a high performance electric row boat in which the original oars (up to a crew-size of them linked together) are driven in unison by one motor (my cromotor?). The kind of mechanism that we picture is that seen on old steam locomotives.

IT would be a cool project with a very comical outcome. :lol:

It also would technically give the motor a <50% duty cycle and more efficient "coasting". We think steering should be best done with a rudder, as this will not be a shallow water vessel. A top speed of 20mph would be a reasonable goal to shoot for (with 1-2 passengers).

We think that the stroke can easily be replicated and made consistent. I need to make some drawings. basically the motor rpm is reduced first and output to a large wheel (stage 1). A ball joint on the perimeter of the wheel would be connected by linkage to a CNCed aluminum "oval ring" (stage 2) where the length of the path around that ring equals the path/circumference of the ball joint on the circular output (stage 1). The stage 2 apparatus would be connected by a roller bearing that followed the channel. So as stage one spins, the motion is translated to an elongated oval.

Then essentially that would be linked to the oars. Then there would best be another "stage 2" apparatus on the other side of the boat that worked in sync to keep all the linkages in line.

Thoughts?

hillzofvalp said:
A top speed of 20mph would be a reasonable goal to shoot for (with 1-2 passengers).
Thoughts?

Somewhere, ..possibly in JH's threads.... there will be a calculator to allow you to estimate the power/force needed to get a 200-300kg displacement hull moving at 20 mph.
You are aware that the fastest row boats ..Olympic 8 man crews,..only achieve 14-15 mph.
check you will have that power available...on a 50% duty cycle !

Back