EV Esc for planing boat

blisspacket

100 W
pwrstick.jpg

When assembled, this is my powerstick. Outermost, an eminently developable prop. Innermost, the 6374 brushless within the large aluminum tube. It clamps to the propshaft via that SS HelixCal. The prop thrust is taken outside a hole in the transom. The hole is sealed with a constantvelocity boot. I'll articulate the propshaft for direction and for trim. The prop will be surfacepiercing, just the bottom half churning away.

I've been tantalized by posters --Jeremy, Bazaki, Honk, et al--suggesting the better ESC is an EV type. The requirements of my unsensored Aeolian 6374, 170 Kv, are 10S Lipo. It's supposedly good for 3000 watt, which translates to 75amps. I've no idea what my two powersticks will draw in this lightweight boat--maybe 500 lbs total. I doubt more than 30 amps each. For cooling I anticipate some brushless ducted fans.

To all the pro's out there, what inexpensive EV controller might be the best bet for this task? I DO want/need reverse. I do anticipate running 4000 rpm but probably not 6k. I don't want to mess with configuring motors or adding sensors or creating circuitry--I barely know how to use a multimeter! Your suggestions are appreciated.

A few more pointed questions: looking at
http://www.ebay.com/itm/260975417302?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
I see he rates his way in excess of my needs, I think. Do I need to stay right at 40 volts?
He says he has undervoltage protection. Is that undervoltage adjustable by rank amateurs??
He has hall sensor wires: would I just ignore them, cap them??
He shows two sets of reversing wires: what does one do with them? Probably all these questions are answered in some translation, but I'm leery of those small print instructions, and would appreciate some forewarning, etc
Thanks for your considerations, advice

Here's the Powerstick bench assembled. Interestingly, I think the motor is about the same capacity as the Torqeedo in the background. It'll be interesting to see if my prop crafting approaches anything near the performance of the Torqeedo. That step is down the road, after I get guidance on an ESC....

blisspacket said:

I've been tantalized by posters --Jeremy, Bazaki, Honk, et al...
Excuse me...when did I ever tantalize you?
I looked at your old posts but couldn't find anything!!!
Can you please direct me to the occasion you refer to?

....If I in fact was inpolite to you then I apologize deeply....

Hehehe....tantalize is far from the describtion you gave...at least according to the info I can find.

Quote:
• TANTALIZE (verb) = harass with persistent criticism or carping

Back