my third Solar Only boat

dudevato

1 mW
Just found this site and joined.

The pics are of my 3rd solar only boat. It's 16ft and has 6 panels each rated at 130watts. The framework is 1" EMT. Power are 2 30lb thrust MinnKota motors. The panels are wired in parallel for now. Speed is determined by switching on 1 or 2 or 3 panels to each motor. I will have an option to switch on all 6 panels to one motor for a cloudy or sunrise/sunset condition.

The outrigger is 9 1/2' and breaks down for transport. It will be fitted with a sand chair and umbrella :shock: I've a pair of watt/amp/amp hour etc digital gauges that will let me keep an eye on things. I rigged up a one of a kind Speed-O out of a lawn mower wheel. I made jigsaw cuts in it then Shoe Goo'd fender washers in place. I mounted a $10 kid's digital bicycle speed o meter to provide some speed figures. I'm sure this can be calibrated with the use of a GPS. I put this together to keep track of figures as I mess with different props and wiring configurations, etc. The sheet metal cover is Necessary as the first unit I made was Very Loud and Splashy.

I'm looking forward to hearing any and all comments. I started a Yahoo Group called LittleSolarBoat you might want to check out.
Most members are using solar in conjunction with a battery but not Me :roll:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/LittleSolarBoats/info

O heck, I don't see how to attach pics, 'maybe I need to be here a while before I can. I've lots of pics of my boat on the Yahoo site. Gary in northern California

Thats a nice setup. I'm converting a similar older square-stern Frontiersman fibreglass canoe to multipurpose hack-about boat (with out-riggers), and I'm almost got the first three options dialed - oars, Minnekota EnduraMax trolling motor/AGM deep cycle battery, and sail (with removable leeboards and mast/lateen sail). You might wish to consider the sail option...

check: http://www.sailboatstogo.com

for some inspiration on setting up your canoe for sail. The more options you've got for propulsion the better.

This one is a keeper. For now it has 6 130 watt panels feeding 2 12 volt 30 lb thrust motors (1,2 or 3 panels feeding each motor) The outrigger is 9 1/2' and will get a 'sand chair & umbrella'

The outrigger breaks down for transport. At this point I have no hull numbers and until the Park Dept says different ............

At this point the panels are wired in parallel with the ability to give one motor all 6 panels to deal with overcast days or sunrise / sundown conditions. I've got a separate volt/amp/amp hour gauge for each 3 panel/motor so I can keep an eye on things.

I'm interested in going as fast as I can using the 6 panels I currently have. This might be obtained by going to a single 24 volt motor (rewiring the panels) or different props, etc. I'll keep in touch here and ask for advise. For now I just want to get the thing in the water and check things out.

The panels are mounted on 1" EMT. I've set up the front panel so as to allow it to fold back on top of #2 so you can stand up and stretch your legs. The 2 motors are linked together so as to allow anyone to steer them by moving a piece of PVC tubing that runs the length of the boat.

I'm a mile and a half from a boat ramp at the Sacramento River that has a large, calm bay. I'll put it in the water there and cut the outrigger framework so the boat sets level and the steering ratios work out.

At this point I don't plan on using any batteries but who the hell knows, uh?

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 2,813
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 2,813
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 2,813
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 2,813
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 2,813
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    272.4 KB · Views: 2,813
How is this working for you dudevato ?

I assume you have seen those other panels that are much lighter but also much more expensive.

I am impressed.

+1 -like. Aren't sail-boats really solar? When's someone going to start making solar sails? Can you imagine this
T051712_Picton-Castle_C.jpg

where all that sail is solar collector too?

OT, but it isn't that easy: the "panels" would have to be just as flexible and tough as the canvas, because they have to be rolled, folded, manipulated, etc, and it has to be "easy" so that the sailors can do all the necessary work with them, including stowing them all in case of a squall or other sudden storm.

It might be possible to use stiffer panels, jointed for folding up, etc., but you'd need a whole new way of rigging and a whole new training setup for sailors.

OhZee, I haven't had this one In The Water, Under Its Own Power yet, but I've run the motors in the middle of the yard in a trashcan of water. In the winter sun of northern California I get (3 panels feeding one motor) like 10-11 volts at 22 amps.

Again I might be rewiring the panels into 24 volts or some series/parallel configuration while I get a handle on all this. If you look at the posting titled 'my first solar boat'
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=65469
you'll see a boat I have Hours on end on the lakes. That one worked Great except you are sitting in the sun and That gets old Fast.

What needs to be done to this current boat is solder up a plug system to enable me to give all 6 panels to one motor, being careful to not give it Too much voltage but during cloudy/sundown conditions it might let me get back to camp and not spend the night A Float :cry:

Back