Trolling motor with ESC?

Boats, Jet Skis, Kayaks etc., including hovercrafts
Post Reply
sailordude
1 µW
1 µW
Posts: 3
Joined: Sep 22, 2017 5:03 am
Location: Switzerland

Trolling motor with ESC?

Post by sailordude » Sep 22, 2017 5:24 am

Hello! I'm new to this forum and was hoping for some guidance / advice.
We are building a small, autonomous inflatable catamaran (max speed about 4 knots) with dual electrical motors. I need to find motors with about 40 - 55 lbs thrust and have an ESC. Obviously I have been looking at trolling motors, but I'm afraid that we won't be able to just connect it to our controller. Does anyone know where we could source some affordable motors (with props) with appropriate ESCs?

thank you!

nanni
1 mW
1 mW
Posts: 16
Joined: Aug 28, 2014 1:25 pm

Re: Trolling motor with ESC?

Post by nanni » Sep 22, 2017 6:37 am


User avatar
Monstarr
100 W
100 W
Posts: 228
Joined: Apr 12, 2011 4:56 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Trolling motor with ESC?

Post by Monstarr » Sep 22, 2017 7:31 am

Best you can search 2nd hand locally or buy a new budget trolling motor in your own country.
Shipping trolling motors by air is rather costly for buying on websites as aliexpress.

I read somewhere that two parallel trolling motors doesnt necessary mean double power. As it a bit more complicated topic. Just doubling will probably lower efficiency.
Did you think of this ?

sailordude
1 µW
1 µW
Posts: 3
Joined: Sep 22, 2017 5:03 am
Location: Switzerland

Re: Trolling motor with ESC?

Post by sailordude » Sep 22, 2017 10:30 am

Monstarr wrote:Best you can search 2nd hand locally or buy a new budget trolling motor in your own country.
Shipping trolling motors by air is rather costly for buying on websites as aliexpress.

I read somewhere that two parallel trolling motors doesnt necessary mean double power. As it a bit more complicated topic. Just doubling will probably lower efficiency.
Did you think of this ?
Hello Monstarr. Thank you for your post! Appreciate the input and questions.
The idea with the two engines is mainly for maneuverability. At this stage we are at Proof of Concept only. I thought it would be an easy solution to acquire two trolling motors. My concern is that I don't know if I can easily hook them up to an ESC.
I know that the trolling motors have a very low efficiency, but for this first phase it doesnt matter.

Do you know of any trolling motors that can be easily hooked up to an ESC?

best

sailordude
1 µW
1 µW
Posts: 3
Joined: Sep 22, 2017 5:03 am
Location: Switzerland

Re: Trolling motor with ESC?

Post by sailordude » Sep 22, 2017 10:32 am

Thank you for the Link Nanni. We actually don't need that much speed. I like the concept and I see you where able to get good control by RC?
Do you have any experience with trolling motors?

User avatar
fechter
100 GW
100 GW
Posts: 12023
Joined: Dec 31, 2006 3:23 pm
Location: California Bay Area, USA

Re: Trolling motor with ESC?

Post by fechter » Sep 22, 2017 1:08 pm

Most trolling motors are brushed so could work with any ESC made for a brushed motor (and has a high enough rating).
If you do a search on eBay for "brushed motor speed controller", you will see a bunch. The ones made for scooters might be better than the RC units.
"One test is worth a thousand opinions"

User avatar
parabellum
1 MW
1 MW
Posts: 1976
Joined: Nov 19, 2010 9:55 am
Location: Dominican Republic, north.

Re: Trolling motor with ESC?

Post by parabellum » Sep 22, 2017 3:54 pm

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M5F5UDS/_e ... T17VGJG5YO
This controller has forward/reverse switch, but you need to remove/bypass original controller to use reverse.
I personally use following controller in series to existing one, to fine tune the speed on my 86lbs brushed motor.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-50V-60A-DC-M ... 2749.l2649

User avatar
Monstarr
100 W
100 W
Posts: 228
Joined: Apr 12, 2011 4:56 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Trolling motor with ESC?

Post by Monstarr » Sep 24, 2017 5:08 am

Will it do 50-60 A for longer periods?
Because that is what a 86 lbs 24 v trolling motor will pull on full throttle.

User avatar
parabellum
1 MW
1 MW
Posts: 1976
Joined: Nov 19, 2010 9:55 am
Location: Dominican Republic, north.

Re: Trolling motor with ESC?

Post by parabellum » Sep 24, 2017 11:33 am

Monstarr wrote:Will it do 50-60 A for longer periods?
Because that is what a 86 lbs 24 v trolling motor will pull on full throttle.
First one, I believe, yes, its 100A max and 60A continuous. Have it on wish list.
Mine (white plastic box), did hold continuous 50A at ~33V Out for ~30 min last Sunday, but it was very hot during this process.
I run the motor at 36V now because it was kind of anemic at 24V (original controller is still taking it). Cant push over 900W IN from 6S LiPo, so I do 9S and ~ 1700W, for now.
My plan is to get the forward/reverse controller (firs link), bypass original controller and run 12S finally, then rip of the mast and duct tape the motor to a hydrofoil and call it a day. :D

User avatar
Monstarr
100 W
100 W
Posts: 228
Joined: Apr 12, 2011 4:56 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Trolling motor with ESC?

Post by Monstarr » Sep 28, 2017 8:26 am

parabellum wrote:
Monstarr wrote:Will it do 50-60 A for longer periods?
Because that is what a 86 lbs 24 v trolling motor will pull on full throttle.
First one, I believe, yes, its 100A max and 60A continuous. Have it on wish list.
Mine (white plastic box), did hold continuous 50A at ~33V Out for ~30 min last Sunday, but it was very hot during this process.
I run the motor at 36V now because it was kind of anemic at 24V (original controller is still taking it). Cant push over 900W IN from 6S LiPo, so I do 9S and ~ 1700W, for now.
My plan is to get the forward/reverse controller (firs link), bypass original controller and run 12S finally, then rip of the mast and duct tape the motor to a hydrofoil and call it a day. :D
Doesn't it pull more current when running higher voltage ?

User avatar
parabellum
1 MW
1 MW
Posts: 1976
Joined: Nov 19, 2010 9:55 am
Location: Dominican Republic, north.

Re: Trolling motor with ESC?

Post by parabellum » Sep 28, 2017 9:00 am

Monstarr wrote:Doesn't it pull more current when running higher voltage ?
Yes, but at 24V only ~37A max can go IN the motor. I also have a feeling that original/intern controller still tries to regulate something at full/5 position, sometimes it limits the current at ~37A at 36V as well. To get rid of this glitch, I need to disconnect the motor and connect, then 50A is possible again.
Only solution I see is: connect directly to the motor with a forward/reverse controller.

Voltron
100 kW
100 kW
Posts: 1323
Joined: May 02, 2013 4:53 pm
Location: Santa Barbara CA

Re: Trolling motor with ESC?

Post by Voltron » Sep 28, 2017 9:27 am

If you're in salt water, the Minn Kota Riptide series is good... better hardware that doesn't seize up. It has a pretty basic brushless motor, that would be easy to bypass the original controller on. Stay away from Great White... they have parts of the controller in the actual underwater motor case part. Stupid design.. plus on one we tested, the on off switch was wired backwards, which doesn't show a lot of commitment to quality control. I learned all this from converting our fleet of trainer J24s to electric at a local sailing center, and running my Piver tri on a couple of the big Riptides btw...

User avatar
parabellum
1 MW
1 MW
Posts: 1976
Joined: Nov 19, 2010 9:55 am
Location: Dominican Republic, north.

Re: Trolling motor with ESC?

Post by parabellum » Sep 28, 2017 10:43 am

Voltron wrote:It has a pretty basic brushless motor
Sure it is brush less? I only found brush type armatures for minkota
https://northlandmarine.com/products/mi ... 92-100-146

Voltron
100 kW
100 kW
Posts: 1323
Joined: May 02, 2013 4:53 pm
Location: Santa Barbara CA

Re: Trolling motor with ESC?

Post by Voltron » Sep 28, 2017 1:06 pm

Yes, thanks... that is a typo...

Post Reply