Dillenger Conversion Kit | 250w | 36v | 10Ah

Changing of the Guard
Got sick of the Crud Catcher half-guards; the rider is kept dry but the bike cops a hiding.

The new rear guard uses a different layup this time. 93g carbon, 3x 90g 'glass (satin weave), 93g carbon.
All cut on a bias to improve drape around compound curves.

5.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Also swapped the chunky 1.75" tyres with 1.3" (28mm) Schwalbe Marathon Plus front and rear which reduces rolling resistance even further.
Selle Hybrid saddle is en-route too.

System overall continues to perform in all conditions. If you thought ARRAS - REIMS was wet that's nothing compared to the 60km I did on Wed
and the system didn't falter.

Flat-lined the Battery
Did 63km today in the cold and for the 1st time the battery flat-lined on the last hill home. I had to turn it off and
grind it out. The outbound leg was done on level 4 and it dropped just one bar at the turnaround. Had a lazy lunch,
got back on for the return and after the first hill the bars dropped to 2/5.

The capacity meter is flaky, I reckon it's just a glorified voltmeter with no intelligence.

14.jpg

Rear Guard is AOK
12.jpg

Front Guard is not-so
13.jpg

I agree with the accuracy of the handle bar meter supplied with the Dillenger kit. After about 30 kms and I give my bike full throttle the meter shows no battery and then when I back off and coast it shows about half. I want to test mine for distance but dont fancy peddaling home with no assist. Might go for a ride down the cycle way next to the train line so I can catch the train home:)
So far the max I have gone is 35km in an outing and although the to speed drops from about 32kmh to 27/28 kmh there appears to still be sufficient power in the battery.
Has anyone done a test with this kit for milage, flat out on the throttle without peddaling?
Maybe I should give it a try.
Cheers

Hi Roundtoit,
re: throttle only range
I haven't been game to, no trains round here, let me know how you go ;0)

My guess is 15 to 20km on the flat, no headwind.

With a 10-15 kt headwind drop that by 25-30%.

I'm exploring building a new pack with the latest cells and 14AHr.

Chris.

I will give the milage thing a go soon, when testing for maximum milage without peddaling should I "ride" for say 15 minutes then rest for 5 to give motor and battery a rest or just go flat out till it stops?
Also what happens when you run out of juice, does it stop suddenly or slowly die?
We have a lake with a cycle way around the edge of it so it is pretty flat and about 6 km around. Might head down there on my next day off and see how many laps.
I like the sound of the battery pack, when you say latest cells what is the best these days?
Regards Graeme

Re: low voltage cut off
It's pretty sudden, the only visible warning is the flashing display.

Best battery?
Not sure. Here's some background info:
http://www.electricbike.com/lithium-cobalt-manganese/

Replacement Packs
You can buy the cases (if only I could find the link !) and populate it with the latest Samsung or Panasonic or SONY 18650 cells
or simply replace it all ready to go using "Li-ion" chemistry.

Something like this (15AHr).

• Timelyrain
    Model Number: JLC-36V14.5AH li-ion-QT01
    Type: Li-ion
    Nominal Voltage: 36V,36V battery pack
    Size: 360 *132*82 mm
    Nominal Capacity: 15AH
    Item name: Black dolphin style battery pack
    Model: JLC-36V15AH liion-QT01
    Battery Pack Capacity: 15AH
    Configuration: 10S5P 3000mAH
    Cell Type: Li-ion
    Weight: 3 KG
    Color: White or black battery case
    Certification: FCC CE ROHS

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Black-dolphin-style-battery-pack-new_1925604407.html

First issue with the bike - think its a loose cable in the controller or a hall sensor issue.

Bike would run and then start stuttering inconsistently. Plugged unplugged everything - did it on PAS and on throttle, unplugged both of them one at a time. Picking the front wheel up the wheel would spin unloaded at 36km/h limit. Rode the bike for a bit, then switched off/on and no more stuttering, but nowhere near the same speed. Unloaded front wheel running at 32 kmh max. Gonna get inside the controller and check those wires in a bit - will report back.

Checked last night, no signs of water getting in - cleaned everything I could with contact cleaner. Got the stuttering again - so I suspect its a hall sensor signal. The tricky thing will be proving whether or not its the sensor, the wiring or the controller. I'll start with the connections, thats the easy stuff, and I'll check continuity of the wiring. On a side note the BBS02 is looking more and more interesting :p

Tats; any luck with the electrics??

SamD; thanks.

1002 uses for a plastic 2l milk container:

17.jpg

1 Zip tie and two strips of 3M heavy duty dble-side tape to secure.

18.jpg

Since day one I'v had an occasional moment where I twist the throttle and the motor ( in the front ) is not engaging immediately and 'whirls' so I back off and go again.

What's that about ?

Hi Hombre,
Not sure...need more info.

Can you describe in more detail what it's doing ?
Can you take a video of it, upload to YouTube and share it here ?

Not to rub it in or anything, I rode through the three-day storm we just had. Bike and mudguards worked perfectly...2700km and counting.

Riding into the 50-80kmh headwind with electric muscles is fun.

Had really good email contact and support from dillenger so far. Asked me to check a few things and send them a video. They got back to me really quick and have asked me to send them the controller to check it over and fix/repair. I sent it yesterday so guess they'll get it monday. I'll let you know how things work out.

Took the road bike today, 7kmh slower average speed for the 40k round trip. I miss my ebike already.

Thanks for the post recently regarding the Dillinger conversion kit. Mentioned in one of the replies was the dolphin battery pack from Timelyrain in China. I've been talking with Timelyrain recently and was thinking of ordering two dolphin-style batteries from them. Before I spend upwards of $900 on a couple of these, I was trying to find someone who's bought from them and would like to get as many opinions as possible on the quality of the battery. I am trying to find a reliable supplier and potentially may order a dozen or more of these batteries. Any information you all could pass along would be greatly appreciated
Also, I know very little about making payments directly to a Chinese supplier and would like to hear from people who have, and how to make it a safe transaction. They (Timelyrain) are requesting that payment be made through T/T - a bank-to-bank, immediate transfer as I understand it. Is it better to have the payment held in escrow? I understand many suppliers dislike this method as they are then at risk if the buyer doesn't release the funds. Any advice here would also be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help!

Hi Afterburner,

Personally I've got no experience with buying from Timelyrain. Here's another link with further product info. (again via Alibaba) :

http://www.batt-pack.com/product/19..._style_battery_pack_for_e_bike_mid_motor.html

There's an FAQ at that link that mentions minimum quantity of one item and they also mention sample packs are fine too.

Maybe post on the endless sphere battery Technology forum, there might be a wider audience there;
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=14

Thanks for the link Fungaro.
If you click on "view current product" the final price inc. shipping and charger escalates from the initial $329US to $513.24US.

Still, 15AHr, Samsung 18650-3000mAh cells sound like a wise option. That's 50% more capacity than the standard 36v 10AHr battery.
This should get close to 80-90km range with pedalling.

Watch the max amp rate.

They new cases are sturdy. But lack a bit in the showerproof department. The USB charger is a nice feature - at least when it is sunny...

Hi SamD,
Can you cite an example where the cases haven't been shower proof ?

I've thrashed mine over winter in all conditions (except submerged) and it's been tip-top.

Back