StokeMonkey/Xtracycle

pdf

10 kW
Just submitted a review of the Stokemonkey setup I installed last month to Cycle9, where I bought the hardware. I wanted to wait until I had more miles on it; I only have 50 so far. But the weather is not great and I am not going to be racking up big miles; I am only using it to commute to work right now due to the rather extreme cold. When it is warmer, I will be using it for short errands more.

Anyway, several people here (Russell, Dogman, and swbluto, to name a few) have been very helpful. So as partial payback/payforward, I offer the following slightly edited version of my posted review on the retailer's web site for the curious-minded. I got the Xtracycle conversion kit, the Stokemonkey conversion kit, and battery all from Cycle9 (cycle9.com).

-------review follows-----------------------------

I spent $400 first converting my hybrid bike to an Xtracycle just so I could install the StokeMonkey kit. WHen I first realized the SM kit required an Xtracycle conversion first, I was put-off. I did not like the thought of the Xtracycle conversion before I installed mine because a) it looks weird, and b) I was afraid it would alter the way the bike rode for the worse. Both, in my opinion, turned out to be partially true. I have seen several posts in other places about how people liked the way their bike handled better after the conversion. I was happy with mine before the conversion and do not see any reason to try to improve it. However, there are two negative impacts that are slight but which I experience; 1) the extra long chainline has made my bike finicky about shifting into 3rd on the rear sprocket. It is not a big deal but it is true. I can fiddle it the indexing all day but it seems to be determined to be difficult about one gear or the other, and so I settled on 3rd. 2) While there appears to be little or no up-down flex due to the conversion, I frequently get a slight weird side flex or sway feeling when I go over a bump with any significant load in the sidebags. Neither problem is a show-stopper or even close. On the balance, I really like having the extra space. I definitely use my bike more because of the extra space, so I think the conversion was worth it. It still looks odd though and you either have to convert to an Xtracycle or buy a Big Dummy; those are the only two frame options that the Stokemonkey supports.

All told, I have over $2400 in the Xtracycle conversion, SM kit, and 15 A-hr battery; a lot of money, no doubt. However, this kit simply works like I wanted and expected. If you have to climb serious hills, a motor that works through the crank like the SM can be kept in its highly efficient range, meaning much less battery power and longer range. I go up >20% grade hills every day and go up them drawing less than 10 amps. The ability to pick the right gear makes all the difference. There are three other e-bike kits that I know of that work through the crank. However, the SM has one advantage they do not; it is very nearly absolutely silent in operation, due to the low speed motor. Other systems use high speed motors with planetary gears that emit a high pitched whine. This may not be objectionable, but I was not able to test one prior to purchase so I went with the system I was able to test. I was very interested in the Ecospeed and might have bought one, but I could not find anywhere to try one out. Part of my ride is on a greenway and stealth is an absolute requirement for using the motor on the greenway; motors are prohibited. I don't think anyone minds as long as the bike is quiet and you don't drive dangerously fast around pedestrian traffic.

I did a lot of background reading before I bought the Monkey; it was a lot of money to let go of. However, every time I go up a hill with my feet simply going round with the pedals, I realize it was the right choice for me. I get to work with as much or as little peddling effort as I want.

The advantage of the SM system is not that it will go up a hill ultra-fast; to go up a hill at a given speed takes a certain amount of energy as you all know. The laws of physics still apply here. The advantage is that it can go up at a MODERATE speed at HIGH efficiency due to the use of ALL the bike's gears. Efficiency means it needs much less power so less current is required. A system designed for high efficiency at a relatively high single speed will require large guage wires in the windings to handle the current at low speed/high load conditions and a massive battery to produce that current. When you compare prices of single speed systems designed to go up a hill, then you get close to the SM system in price. I'm thinking here of a 20 A-hr batt, 35 amp or larger controller, and 5 series Clyte

To be sure, there are conditions under which a single speed system is as good as or better than the SM and is much less expensive. Going fast on flat ground is a good example of where single speed systems excel; the SM is limited by the manufacturer to 20 MPH. WHile it is probably not that difficult to hack the CA to get that limite lifted, 20 MPH is plenty fast for a guy with 2 kids to put through college yet. However, as soon as I tested the SM on a hill, I knew it was the only system that performed exactly the way I wanted one to perform. I don't use the SM on flats; the effort required to travel at a moderate speed on a flat road is nearly trivial for the average person in reasonablly good shape and my commute is only 7 miles so high speed is not required. However, I don't hesitate to gear down and hit the throttle on the hills. It simply never fails to perform as expected.

I keep the CA current limited to 15 amps; I can do any hill I need to at that current draw just fine. If I wanted to do a true motor-only test, I would take off the current limit. However, since the system is designed to work with the pedals going round, my feet are there anyway and since my feet are on the pedals, I tend to pedal. However, when I have the battery "burned in" at 15 amps max., I'll turn off the limit and to a few hills of known grade for the masses. Who knows, I might even hit 20 amps!!! ;)

Hope someone finds this useful. I don't think everyone needs to spring for an SM to satisfy their requirements but I think if you want good performance on steep hills, you need to be realistic. I also recommend to anyone looking to buy a system to try to find a place like Cycle9 with several systems to try so you will know what to expect. Also, if the bikes have a CA, all the better, so you can get an idea of the battery you will need. I use well under 5 amp hours on my typical ride home. Can't remember exactly what it is; somewhere between 2 and 3 A-hr I think. Well, I'm off on my sub-freezng point ride home. Maybe I NEED to work a little harder just to stay warm!

Hi PDF. Nice review of your Stoke Monkey. I seriously considered doing something similar to a SM on my tadpole trike with it's 8 speed internal hub, but decided against it at this time.

Just a comment about this statement:

Part of my ride is on a greenway and stealth is an absolute requirement for using the motor on the greenway; motors are prohibited.

I don't know where you are located, but the statutes that apply to bicycles with electric assist in Oregon, Washington, and California are very careful to distinguish them from "motorized" vehicles. Those signs on the greenways that say motorized vehicles are prohibited do not apply to legal electric assist bicycles. This has been discussed elsewhere, and if anyone wants to discuss it further a good start would be to find one of those old threads.

Nice review and thanks for the compliment. I suppose getting shifters to index gets harder the longer the cable is. Unfortunately, the point of the extracycle is to use the shifter, not leave it in high gear the way I tend to with a lighter bike and dd motor. Maybe you can find a local longtail rider that can help you tune it up. Mabye PM zoot about it. The frame flex you describe doesn't suprise me either. When I fill my panniers with batteries I get the same thing on my short bike. It's full suspension so I bet the flex is in the pivot but the weight amplifies it for sure. Wierd but I don't notice it now. It will be real interesting later on to get some data on the hill performance to compare to dd motors. There is a thread in this section where I compared my motors climbing at full throttle, on 8% grade. I didn't measure watts used, just how fast they could get up to. All the tests got motors very hot, if yours stays cool, that alone tells us it's more efficient. The dd motors slow down and start making tons of heat.

happy riding :mrgreen:

Rassy said:
I don't know where you are located, but the statutes that apply to bicycles with electric assist in Oregon, Washington, and California are very careful to distinguish them from "motorized" vehicles. Those signs on the greenways that say motorized vehicles are prohibited do not apply to legal electric assist bicycles. This has been discussed elsewhere, and if anyone wants to discuss it further a good start would be to find one of those old threads.

I should look into it I suppose. I am in Tennessee. I suspect it would depend on who you asked about it. Legally, as far as I can tell, an electric bike is not considered a "motorized bike", which interestingly only applies to gasoline powered bikes. The term "bike" is legally defined in Tennessee as human-powered. So electric bikes are sort of left out. Like many things in Tennessee, I am taking the approach that as long as I mind my business and don't flaunt a possible transgression, most people don't care. Again, if I buzzed by a group of blue-hairs doing 20, I am pretty sure I'd hear about it. If I smile, wave, and tool by perfectly silently, they just say, "What a nice young man, and look how environmentally friendly he is". Although the term "young" may not apply to a 46 year old for long. I will leave it for others to fight the good fight.

By the way, I checked batt. usage on my commute. Used 4.8 amp-hr for 13 miles. Love that CA.

I like the idea of the SM, but when one gets up in years is is nice not to have to peddel all the time, my latest build on a recumbent uses a split chain design, the trike I have does not have the room to use a large hub motor, so a old curry will have to do.

PDF,

That is a very interesting review, one of the few I've been able to find for the StokeMonkey. I wonder about those "20% hills" -- how long are they? The hills I need to climb are anywhere from 1-4 miles and more. I'd considered the SM but couldn't find any real-world accounts of its hillclimbing capabilities, especially over longer distances.

Also... am I correct that the pedals always move when the motor is engaged? If this is true, wouldn't it flog your ankles half to death if you suddenly have to use your feet to balance the bike while still under power? For example, if you bog down on a very steep grade and may need to take your feet off the pedals?

thanks!

It may be like New Mexico. No such thing legaly as an electric bike. Fed consumer products regulations aren't DOT statutes. So I'm a moped, pure and simple, and ride illegally on the bike trail every trip. I quote the fed bike law and people buy it. Cops could give a damn, and I don't ride over 20 mph on the bike trail. The same explanation is working on the blm single track MTB trails. No motor vehicle signs everywhere, so I just tell em it's legaly a bike. It's not, but I tell em that it is. Again, since I don't ride rude, the other people are ok with it. I have the advantage of being most peoples only electric bike they ever saw. So I get to make the first impression. If the bike had 50 watts at 72v on it, people wouldn't be buying it but on my ordinary ebike, I get away with it.

Thanks for the great reveiw.

The most likely reason your bike sways to one side when you hit a bump (when loaded-up) is because of the dish on your rear wheel.

Long story short, I had the same problem, then replaced the derailer cluster with internal gears. This way the rear wheel is centered, and stronger for obvious reasons, for one, All the spokes are the same tension (unlike a derailer set-up) and mounted wider on one side.

This worked well for me as i carry my batteries inside my panniers along with groceries & beer. Just an idea to ponder.

recumbent said:
. . .
The most likely reason your bike sways to one side when you hit a bump (when loaded-up) is because of the dish on your rear wheel.
. . .
The Xtracycle attachment makes a bike noodle regardless of motor and load. (or no motor and no load) I can whip it just by mashing the pedals.
It's most noticeable after first converting your regular bike to a longtail. After that you learn it's just the nature of the beast. The extra weight of a poorly secured or unbalanced load accentuates the effect.

I've tried to start a speed wobble by shaking the handlebar. It didn't happen. A normal diamond frame or mixte frame made no difference.
The Big Dummy is noticeably stiffer.

Even though the rear X-5 isn't perfectly centered I can still coast with no hands by sliding my butt to the right. The Brooks saddle has adjusted itself to accommodate my riding posture.

I sort of like making le Béte wiggle. It gets me extra road room from overtaking drivers.

hillbilly said:
That is a very interesting review, one of the few I've been able to find for the StokeMonkey. I wonder about those "20% hills" -- how long are they? The hills I need to climb are anywhere from 1-4 miles and more. I'd considered the SM but couldn't find any real-world accounts of its hillclimbing capabilities, especially over longer distances.

Also... am I correct that the pedals always move when the motor is engaged? If this is true, wouldn't it flog your ankles half to death if you suddenly have to use your feet to balance the bike while still under power? For example, if you bog down on a very steep grade and may need to take your feet off the pedals?

thanks!

The 20% grades on my daily ride are short, no more than 100 yds or so. The longest grade is about a mile, but it is around 10%. The motor is rated for 500W, continuous. You just have to find a gear that will keep the motor at or under its continuous rating. For the 36V battery that is recommended for the SM, that is 13.8 amps. The system should run fine all day till the battery is completely discharged below the continuous rating. It looks like a seriously well made motor. It spins pretty fast even when moving slowly since the sprocket on the motor is small, so will probably transfer heat well. I have never had it get even warm, but this is not the right time of year to test motor heating. I would predict that with an appropriate rear sprocket, you could find a gear for nearly any hill that the SM would climb below its continuous rating. However, the steeper the hill, the more extreme the gear ratio and the slower you will go. If you just need to go at pretty much a single speed on terrain where the elevation does not vary much, you could just get a hub motor set up to be efficient for that speed, or adjust your pedaling effort more to compensate.

Yes, the pedals turn whenever you give it throttle. I haven't had a situation where I actually got hit by a pedal but when I first started using it, there were a couple of comedic moments when I tried to stop pedaling but did not de-throttle. You get used to it pretty quickly though. The other thing you have to think about is that you don't want to shift when the motor is pulling hard, just like when you are pedaling up hill. It is obviously not good for the chain or gears when it jumps down a ring under a lot of tension. I have a feeling you could bend a derailer or mess up a chain or ring that way pretty easily, stoking up a hill. You have to shift ahead just like when pedaling alone.

I had my longest SM ride today on some longer steep hills. Got up to 30 mph coasting down one. Did 6 mph going back up on the return trip in the lowest gear with the SM. The whole trip was 20 miles and I used 10 A-hrs. The amazing thing is that I was not even tired afterward. That is the beauty of e-biking. As soon as I get some good weather and time, I will do some quantitative tests on known grades.

I am clearly a fan of the SM for my route, but I think the most important thing is matching the system to the job. A hub motor system would be just as efficient on a hill if you provide the extra power needed to get it into its efficent speed range. The SM is more efficient at slow speed, like when geared down and pulling up a hill. When not geared down, there is no advantage to the SM system.

pdf said:
hillbilly said:

Not the very steepest, but plenty long and heavily loaded: http://clevercycles.com/?p=238. Worst case was i got 480lbs gross up a 31.5% block in SF. Not exactly unbiased reviews, I know, but factual. I've never gotten more than a little warm, easy to touch.

pdf said:
hillbilly said:

There's a progressive throttle, not a simple on-off switch. Just let go of the throttle when you want to coast or stop. Even if you forget, or there's some horrible malfunction, the pedals can't turn if the wheels aren't, so use the brakes? The maximum pedal speed is still able to be matched by a normal bicyclist, so it's not like blender blades! I made a little clip: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cleverchimp/4222517995/

pdf said:
Yes, the pedals turn whenever you give it throttle. I haven't had a situation where I actually got hit by a pedal but when I first started using it, there were a couple of comedic moments when I tried to stop pedaling but did not de-throttle. You get used to it pretty quickly though. The other thing you have to think about is that you don't want to shift when the motor is pulling hard, just like when you are pedaling up hill. It is obviously not good for the chain or gears when it jumps down a ring under a lot of tension. I have a feeling you could bend a derailer or mess up a chain or ring that way pretty easily, stoking up a hill. You have to shift ahead just like when pedaling alone.

Thanks for the review, PDF.

"Just like when pedaling alone" is right. One of the things I didn't like about the e-bikes I tried before getting to work on Stokemonkey was how they changed my riding habits/instincts, so when I went back to riding a normal bike, I felt like I had to re-adjust.

It's true that shifting a derailleur system under load can be hard, especially shifting among rings up front. I have a customer who destroyed a few rings, snapping chainring bolts, this way. I recommend internal gearhubs now if this is likely to be an issue, if the gear range they afford is adequate to your loads and terrain, within your budget.

pdf said:
I am clearly a fan of the SM for my route, but I think the most important thing is matching the system to the job. A hub motor system would be just as efficient on a hill if you provide the extra power needed to get it into its efficent speed range. The SM is more efficient at slow speed, like when geared down and pulling up a hill. When not geared down, there is no advantage to the SM system.

Well, I agree that the flatter the terrain and the more constant the desired speed, the more a single-speed system such as a hub motor makes sense. But there are some small benefits to SM anyway even in this case: if the hub motor is a direct-drive type, then there is cogging resistance when not using the motor. There's also the additional rotating mass of the rotor to accelerate. If geared, there's noise. There can be advantages to SM even when geared up: higher top end. For example, while a hub motor might reach its power peak at, say, 15mph, with the power tapering down to 0 as you approach 30mph, with SM you can just shift to keep the motor at peak power at every speed from 5 to 25mph (500% gear range).

tfahrner said:
Well, I agree that the flatter the terrain and the more constant the desired speed, the more a single-speed system such as a hub motor makes sense. But there are some small benefits to SM anyway even in this case: if the hub motor is a direct-drive type, then there is cogging resistance when not using the motor. There's also the additional rotating mass of the rotor to accelerate. If geared, there's noise. There can be advantages to SM even when geared up: higher top end. For example, while a hub motor might reach its power peak at, say, 15mph, with the power tapering down to 0 as you approach 30mph, with SM you can just shift to keep the motor at peak power at every speed from 5 to 25mph (500% gear range).

I see your point here, but what some of these guys think of as "fast" is beyond my comprehension. There are folks here doing over 40 mph on a bike. I haven't seen the bike (excluding motorcycles) I'd feel comfortable doing 40 mph on. The SM would have cut out 20 mph ago. There are a whole new set of problems going that fast on a bike. I admire their spirit but fear their road rash. I hit 30 mph the other day going down a hill and frankly, a good pothole could have lead to a stay in the emergency ward. I used the brakes before going faster. I'll take my 20 mph and call it good! Of course, the longest trip I've been on is 20 miles, round trip.

By the way, passed a guy on the greenway today; he nearly killed himself trying to keep up until he gave up. And I did it for 2.5 cents of electricity, round trip, wearing khakis and loafers. Before the SM, I had never passed a bike on the greenway. That my friends is the beauty of the ebike.

Wait till you start toying with road racers. It's fun to pass em on a huge heavy bike.

I agree about speed, 25 mph is the legal limit in my state, and pretty much my limit. 30 on downhills with good brakes and good suspension. Mostly I ride about 22 mph.

pdf

..Good report.
.. I'm really impressed with the fact that you can go 13 miles with 4.8 Amp Hrs at 36 volts. On my eZip with Ping 24V, 15 Amp Hr I get 15 or 18 miles, depending how big the hills and how much pep I have. The hills on my 15 mile (one way) commute are pretty big and numerous. My Watt's Up says I get something less than 1 mile per Amp-Hr @24 volts. I guess with the same efficiency, I'd get a mile and a half per amp-hr at 36V. Your 2.7 miles per Amp-Hr says your getting 80% higher efficiency.
.. A white paper from the Nu Vinci people says they got a 20% increase in efficiency by shifting using a CVT (continuously variable transmission ) compared to fixed gearing. I liked the sound of +20%. I like +80% even better. My next bike will apply power through gears. I'm looking for range without heavy and expensive big batteries. I hope I can get results like yours.

Don

I don't know if it's possible to do with an Xtracycle, but I am pondering an Xtracycle-like addon to that Schwinn Sierra I fixed up recently, perhaps with a motor assist, perhaps not.

Specifically so that I am not dealing with a longer shiftline and the problem you report here, pdf, I intend to put a regular rear hub with the derailer still on the Schwinn's dropouts, so the original chainline stays as it is, as does the shifter cable. Then there will be a separate sprocket from that hub to the rear wheel, which will be re-laced to a no-dish single-speed wheel to make it stronger for cargo use. (actually I will probably just take a front wheel with a sprocket bolted to it, for simplicity of testing out the idea).

I'll start a build thread for it once I get past the initial idea stage, since I might never actually build it, depending on how far I get with the trike idea in the next week or two.

pdf said:
if I buzzed by a group of blue-hairs doing 20, I am pretty sure I'd hear about it.

hehehe...we have a strong 'pack' of blue white and silver hairs from where i'm from, theres half a dozen
classy retirement villages up here in the Kalamunda Shire, the council has looked after them though all the paths/cycleway
are in tip top condition so they can 'hoonz' about in their $5000 mobility scooters which suits me to a tee... should see some of them, they are blinged out with roofs mirros horns chrome racks they ride in 'convoys' up here very intimidating they are, they is bad to the bone pwning the cycleways with AUTHORITAAAAAGH :mrgreen:

KiM

donob08 said:
pdf

..Good report.
.. I'm really impressed with the fact that you can go 13 miles with 4.8 Amp Hrs at 36 volts. On my eZip with Ping 24V, 15 Amp Hr I get 15 or 18 miles, depending how big the hills and how much pep I have. The hills on my 15 mile (one way) commute are pretty big and numerous. My Watt's Up says I get something less than 1 mile per Amp-Hr @24 volts. I guess with the same efficiency, I'd get a mile and a half per amp-hr at 36V. Your 2.7 miles per Amp-Hr says your getting 80% higher efficiency.
.. A white paper from the Nu Vinci people says they got a 20% increase in efficiency by shifting using a CVT (continuously variable transmission ) compared to fixed gearing. I liked the sound of +20%. I like +80% even better. My next bike will apply power through gears. I'm looking for range without heavy and expensive big batteries. I hope I can get results like yours.

Don

Don, it is reasonable to assume that a geared system gets better efficiency on hills; as I've said, I gear way down and go up the hills slowly and can draw around 10 amps (or around 400 watts) even going up a pretty significant grade (say 15%). It is pretty amazing to see how the amps shoot up on the CA when I don't gear down and head up a hill. However, if you are using a Watt's Up to measure the current consumed by the charger instead of a cycle analyst to measure the energy drained from the battery, it is possible that the major part of the difference is the efficiency in the charging process. I am not sure how a Watt's Up works but I think it measures the current (or power) draw of an appliance, so the charger in this case. I bet it takes significantly more energy to recharge the battery than the energy that gets stored in the battery. That is to say, I use a certain amount of energy from the battery (say, 180 W-hrs) but it might take twice that amount of energy from the wall socket to replace that energy in the battery. I know it takes more because the charger will dissipate energy as heat and the charger has a fan inside so that uses energy. So when I report that my bike uses 2.5 cents of electricity to commute round trip, I am fudging a bit for effect. It may require twice that from the grid to recharge the battery.

Anybody have both a CA and a Watt's Up that can report the difference in the energy used by the system and the energy required to recharge the battery?

@pdf: The WU works the same way the CA does for measurements, except that it's shunt is inside the unit instead of external. There is also a Turnigy unit that is essentially a clone of the WU.

You can put any of them on either motor or battery side of a controller.

@Don: Keep in mind that while using any kind of non-fixed-ratio transmission will help on hills, some transmissions, like belt CVTs and the NuVinci, are not nearly as efficient as chain-transmissions (like bicycles have), so on the flats you'll lose some efficiency to those CVTs. If you ride mostly on the flats and only a tiny bit on hills, it might actually give you worse efficiency overall, depending on the efficiency of your current drivetrain. :)

pdf
..amberwolf has it right. The numbers I gave were with the WU between the ping and the controller. Because the shunt is inside I can also put it between the charger and the battery (switching ins and outs). Somewhere I have some numbers about energy to charge Ping vs numbers (I use watt-hrs) that come out of the ping to the controller. If I remember it's 5 or 8% different. WU gives you same stuff as CA, except speedometer/odometer. I use a Cateye for that.

amberwolf, I know chains/gears are more efficient than Nu Vinci, but most tests seem to say you only loose 5 or 8% efficiency. pdf is getting 80% more efficiency than the Nu Vinci (pretty rigorus test) showed. I'll dig up a link to that white paper. Here it is: http://www.fallbrooktech.com/Docs/LEV_CVT_Whitepaperrev10.pdf

donob08 said:
amberwolf, I know chains/gears are more efficient than Nu Vinci, but most tests seem to say you loose 5 or 8% efficiency. pdf is getting 80% more efficiency than the Nu Vinci (pretty rigorus test) showed. I'll dig up a link to that white paper. Here it is: http://www.fallbrooktech.com/Docs/LEV_CVT_Whitepaperrev10.pdf
I have seen the paper before, although I don't follow the math sections (I have a lot of trouble with that type of stuff). It does appear to be rigorous and show very good efficiency for a CVT.

I'd love to use a CVT of some type regardless of the losses, since in stop-and-go traffic where vehicle speed constantly has to change even on the flats it would probably end up more efficient than a regular drivetrain, if it had an automatic control based on power draw, to keep it at the optimal "gear" for a particular speed and vehicle load vs power usage.

If I were on the flats with not much in the way of gear changes needed and no stop-and-go traffic (like on a highway), I'd stick with a few select gears in chain drive. Same if I had a lot of predictable hills of relatively constant steepness, but still just steady running at constant speed, since that would be a more efficient transmission method.

Based solely on my own intuitive memory, exactly how much power you lose seems to be disproportionately related to how much you put into it--the more power put thru, the greater a percentage is actually lost. I've not tried to graph that out, but it seems that the more powerful setups that have reported any efficiency numbers seem to lose up to a third of their power into the hub, like Tapholov's dual-motor setup. I wish I had actually written them all down, as I doubt I could find them all now (stuff read around the web over the last two or three years, I'd guess). So I am only going by my decidedly imperfect memory. ;)

I also suspect that it makes a great deal of difference which "gear" the NuVinci is in when starting up from a stop, and that not all the reports are using the same shifting methodology--likely many of the less efficient reports are leaving it in higher gears as typically would be done on many ebikes regardless of transmission method, simply because they have the power there to start from a stop without *having* to shift back down. But I don't know any of this for certain.

Considering one of these for my Xtracycle so nice to have such an informative review.

A small thing, right at the start you mention a problem with indexing your gears. I use an old style thumbie set in friction rather than index mode and it works well even with the extra cable length.

andyh2 said:
Considering one of these for my Xtracycle so nice to have such an informative review.

A small thing, right at the start you mention a problem with indexing your gears. I use an old style thumbie set in friction rather than index mode and it works well even with the extra cable length.

Everyday, I am continually impressed with the SM, however note that as of yet, I only have about 200 miles on the system so no information on durability and maintenance.

I think I recall that the Xtracycle folks look favorably on friction mode, presumably for this reason. The ability of indexing shifters to perform well on a longbike probably depends on many things, and the quality of the shifters is probably one. It makes intuitive sense that the longer the cable, the more opportunities for "slop" in the shifting. It is a minor annoyance and is only occasional. I can live with it, for sure.

Thanks for the review pdf. I've been looking at the SM for years but I thought that it would be expensive.$2400 shhhew, that would cost me about $3000 Canadian. It is a very nice system though and worth the money.

All,

Looks like we are due for temps in the 60s on Sunday. If that happens, I will do some hill testing on the Stokemonkey/Xtracycle. I have been commuting to work and doing errands on the bike as frequently as weather and family obligations will allow. Would ride it all the time but have to get kids to school some days. I only have about 360 miles on the setup. I have had the following two problems, both of which were relatively easily resolved:

1) the throttle died suddenly. Had to resort to full leg power; I missed the motor mightily on the hills. Cycle9 where I got the set up helped me troubleshoot it via phone advice and correctly identified the problem as the throttle with my reporting the results of voltmeter tests. Got a replacement in the mail very quickly. It was a right side thumb and I was used to a left side thumb which I prefer due to the rear derailler twist shifter on the right. Called back and they indicated they would get the manufacturer to send a left side thumb. These are, for some reason, much less common than right side. You could sort of make a right work on the left but if you have ever tried it, you will see it is less than ideal. Have been using the right side and it works better than I had thought when I got used to it.
2) Did not keep up with tightening the motor tension cable and had the left side chain jump off when pushing hard on a bumpy road. Put it back on and eased up and made it home, no problems. Tightened motor tension cable as per instructions and have had no problems since. Stokemonkey website indicates this is necessary when you first install it as the system relaxes. I'd guess it would not hurt to check it after every couple hundred miles.

I will test the motor system on several hills, getting the grades from mapmyride.com. So the grades will only be as accurate as I can get from there. Based on my experience so far, I anticipate the following will be true:
1) the motor-only speed on hills will not be impressive. As others have tried to tell me over and over (I am thick skulled), even the slightlest pedaling makes a huge difference with hub motors and this is also true of the Stokemonkey set up. I have no doubt it will climb a pretty impressive hill with the motor only, but it will have to be in the lowest gear, based on my fooling around so far. A more telling test of an ebike would be what it can do on a hill with a modest, fixed rider input. Unfortunately, it is not easy to provide a known constant power.
2) I did not know this but apparently, the SM will run without the speed limit if you unplug the CA. Also, you could program the CA to think there are two wheel magnets and it will think you are going half the speed. This would screw up all the data though so except for testing max speed, this is not a good idea. I don't mind the 20 mph limit anyway because my commute is not long. I will however turn it off to get the max speed of the system for you speed demons.

The CA included in the SM kit is not very different from a regular CA. You can enter the setup and set all parameters as you like including the max speed. To enter the advanced setup you have to hold the button in the last screen of the regular setup when the CA shows "exit setup" or something like that. Can't remember the exact wording.

Back