Motored Bike Specific Tire Coming Soon!

mabman

100 W
A large supplier of tires to the bike industry has committed to building a tire for motored bikes. At this time there is only going to be one size available, 26x2.2, but it is a good start and more will follow for sure. Basically the tire will be a DH mtb class tire that has a protective liner that runs from bead to bead as in option 3 in the pic and the tread will be as shown and will be tubeless ready.

Attachments

• tiretech3.jpg
    tiretech3.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 1,431
  • Graffiti from WTB.jpg
    Graffiti from WTB.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 1,431
  • 0916.jpg
    0916.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 1,431
I'd prefer the center 1/2" be a full slick tread for better wear. The edges should be grooved for traction on less than good surfaces (even a different, softer compound).

An effective puncture protection layer is very appealing though.

What PSI will it be? 60-80psi would be desirable.

FRANKVZ said:
Graffiti from WTB??
Took me a bit to figure out where that info came from; then I finally noticed the name of the file itself. :oops:

But that pic does not look quite the same as the pics of it I have found elsewhere, like this from JensonUSA (though the tread is the same basic pattern):
ti298a30.jpg

I agree with Veloman about the tread pattern, though. I like the Kenda Kross or Crossroads type of tread, slick in the middle and knobby-ish on the edges.

I just bought 2 of those Kenda Kross Plus at my local Ochard Hardware Supply. It's kind of hard to find but it's in their tiny bike parts section. I got it for $22 for both tires with tax. They are branded Schwinn but has Kenda printed on the sidewall. Schwinn brand was no where to be found except on the paper wrapper. It has pretty good review at http://www.mtbr.com/cat/tires-and-wheels/tire/kenda/kross-plus/PRD_364346_151crx.aspx

The problem I have found with every version of htem is the sidewalls fail, often just crinkling/flaking the rubber away from the internal threads. It's not from overlaoding or underpressure or sunrot, as I've seen it even on other people's bikes and asked about their tires/etc. I had a sidewall herniate because of that on DayGlo Avenger, on a Kenda Kross.

I did think at first it was caused by my spray painting the sidewalls with white and then DayGlo colors, but even the tire I never painted failed like that, too.

But I like the idea of the tread design.

Back