Tppacks.com, Zippy Lipo 48v 15ah, LVC and Hyperion 1420i

Hyperion ESO1 1420i charger
hp1.JPG

Most low end RC chargers do up to 6 cells, the better one's do up to 10 cells, this bad boy does up to 14 !!! so a 48v pack can be charged all at the same time, no flipping wires and messing splitting packs to charge up.. !

Left side :
hp2.JPG

Right side :
hp3.JPG

Rear , double fans !!
View attachment 1

Front !

Attachments

• hp5.JPG
    hp5.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 6,237
Next up : TPpacks.com goodies provided by Ggoodrum ! ( Who also provided the Hyperion charger !! 8) )
tp1.JPG

2 items here..

First is the Hyperion EOS 1420i Net3 12S Charging Harness Kit v4.3.4 ( 9 March 2011 )
tp3-charge.JPG

And the Dual 6-Channel ( 12s4p ) Low-Voltage Cutoff ( LVC ) Parallel Adapter v 4.3.4 ( 2 March 2011 )
tp2-lvc.JPG

I had the option to get the bare boards and a bag of parts to solder my own, but honestly i'd much rather pay the man to do it right, one of these days i'll have a tutorial for people like me on how to do this right but until i have the time to do it right, i'd rather have it done for me hehe.. besides .. it's september and if i mess it up and have to order more parts.. then have to figure out how to troubleshoot what i screwed up etc.... no thanks.

Attachments

• tp4-assembled.JPG
    tp4-assembled.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 6,233
Here we go !

First step is to power up the Hyperion charger, and individually ballance charge each pack on their own..

Dug up a 12v compaq power supply, and the Hyperion came to life ! woohoo !

The menu is different from my Icharger 3010B , it's all there but not as easy to figure out, i had to hit up youtube

[youtube]-ox3EpzvsJ8[/youtube]

Yes, there are 2 kits here, i got a backup plan.. just in case. and if all goes well i have a 2nd kit to put on my RC bike !

Discharge 5ah at roughly 5 amps = under 1 hour cycle... *( 1C )

So kitchen timer/ringer set to 35 minutes.. just in case...

I am 4ft away at my PC, but in the event i walk away for any reason, i need to make absolutely sure i remember to come back. :wink:

Attachments

• zippy8.JPG
    zippy8.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 6,196
Your behind the times YPedalMaN, ibeen using this near exact setup for the last 6 month lol You will also need more than a pissy pc psu to power the hyperion if you expect top do any sort of worthwhile review, I use a pair of 24v meanwels cranked to 27v, gets 10-11amp out of the hyperion....GGopdrum already did n extensive review of this setup, check the battery section of the forum for it, loads of pictures and shows a one plug balance charging setup.

KiM

I have 3 meanwell sp-480-24 units :wink: , but for initial testing the compaq will do.. I'm setting this up for a local and he will need to get a proper power supply but will be able to make due with a loaner PS for now.

Also, by showing my work hopefully someone will point out my mistakes as i go if i'm making any ! :eek:

Also good to dummy it down to meer mortal level for those of us who barely get it done without blowing ourselves up lol..

+1
Also good to dummy it down to meer mortal level for those of us who barely get it done without blowing ourselves up lol..
Thanks Ypedal, I appreciate all the pictures too.

:eek:

I figure the more people detail their experiences, the more we all learn, right ?

So, about those pictures..

After reading the instructions, ( Very well done instructions btw, full color, and specific.. ) a few times over, from start to end.. yeah.. all the way to the end BEFORE starting the assembly.

I got it thru my mind how it goes, and fired up the Hakko soldering station.

One thing i've learned over the years, setup your wires the way you want them before you start soldering.. makes the final product look way better..

Attachments

• zippy11.JPG
    zippy11.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 4,768
After soldering all the charger side wires..

I moved on to the battery pack side of the multi pin connector.

Something you learn from playing with andersons, orient your wires and setup the pins so that the wire will not twist, i had to put the charger side block onto the desk, look at the receiving end connector for 5 minutes and get it right thy mu thick skull how things will end up... and this is how it goes..

The pins slide into the blocks with 2 grooves, pay close attention, if you get half one way the others wrong, it will work but look wonky.. so pay attention..

Attachments

• zippy13.JPG
    zippy13.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 4,766
Now, i'm sure there is a fancy crimping tool for these pins, but i dont have one... so after mucking about with needle nose pliers for the first 2 i went digging thru my tool collection and found that my Gardner Bender vice tool will bend the legs in the right direction to get things started..

The first 2 legs ( as far as i can figure out ) shoudl clamp down on the insulation part of the wires, the 2nd pair is the contact part, the 3rd set is what lines up with the plastic housing..

Bending the first pair legs inwards lets you pinch them with needle nose pliers and maintain a square block so that it all fits into the connector block.

Attachments

• zippy15.JPG
    zippy15.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 4,765
Then i hit them with the soldering iron, just enough to insure proper contact and prevent the pins from ever pulling out..

Be carefull here to orient the pins vertial so that you prevent solder from creeking into the tips, this would make the thing hard to connect, and harder to disconnect.. done right it should snap in easily.. dont want solder up there.. keep it in the red.

Attachments

• zippy16.JPG
    zippy16.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 4,766
Back